ADVERTISEMENT

Alex Collins (OT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

WarriorHog25

Letterman
Sep 10, 2013
Some may not care too much about this, but read on Twitter that Alex was saved this last wednesday night. Very excited about this young man on and off the field. Congrats buddy!

I am so biased I wonder to myself if this would have happened if his mom could have forced him to stay home in Miamai

Originally posted by ohlordy:
I am so biased I wonder to myself if this would have happened if his mom could have forced him to stay home in Miamai
Has she been to Fayetteville, yet?

Since I'm catholic, I was baptized as a baby.

I don't know what "getting saved" means. Is that just getting baptized?

Originally posted by wps88 2.0:

Not exactly, in this context it is coming to the point where you accept that Christ is your savior and you are giving your life to him. Baptism is usually in the very near future as a public display that you have given your life to Christ. Not trying to get to churchy on you, but that is usually the context that it is used outside of Catholicism..

Outstanding! Like him more and more. You hear a lot about the bad side of sports but this is the really good side.

No, it's much more than that. And it is even more than I'm going to post because I can't begin to fully explain the experience with "words." I'll try though..This is all copied, btw.:

You are "convicted of your sins" by the Holy Spirit. You become convinced that you have done so many bad things in your life that you have become unacceptable to God, and if you were to die physically right now, you would go straight to Hell.You confess all your sins to God, acknowledge your unworthiness and ask forgiveness. If you confess honestly and fervently intend never to commit those sins again, God grants forgiveness.You walk down the aisle during the invitational hymn in a worship service and say aloud that you believe that Jesus died on the cross for you and rose from the dead on the third day to be your Lord and Savior. You are "saved."You are baptized.Water baptism also gives the believer the opportunity to openly testify to others of his born-again experience. It serves as an outward sign and testimony of an inward grace. The believer has been crucified with Christ, buried with Him and raised together with Him to walk in newness of life (Romans 6:4).

A person is baptized into the Body of Christ (saved) before water baptism. For without first making Jesus Lord and believing that God raised Him from the dead, water baptism would have no purpose. Water baptism is an experience after salvation to confirm and strengthen your commitment to live a godly life.

The baptismal waters represent a burial ground. When you're buried with Christ in baptism, you are proclaiming to heaven, earth and hell that the old you no longer exists. To be buried with Jesus means that your old self died to sin just as Jesus did when He was made sin for us (Romans 6:3, 6, 10-12). That's why we are immersed. It's a picture of burial.

Coming up out of the water signifies our being raised to new life in Christ. To be raised with Jesus means making Him Lord of every area of your life-spirit, soul and body. You've been bought with the blood of Jesus and you belong to Him. Every day you now ask, "Lord, where do You want me to go? What do You want me to say? What do You want me to be? Not my will, but Thy will be done."

Originally posted by Pigasus22:

No, it's much more than that. And it is even more than I'm going to post because I can't begin to fully explain the experience with "words." I'll try though..This is all copied, btw.:

You are "convicted of your sins" by the Holy Spirit. You become convinced that you have done so many bad things in your life that you have become unacceptable to God, and if you were to die physically right now, you would go straight to Hell.You confess all your sins to God, acknowledge your unworthiness and ask forgiveness. If you confess honestly and fervently intend never to commit those sins again, God grants forgiveness.You walk down the aisle during the invitational hymn in a worship service and say aloud that you believe that Jesus died on the cross for you and rose from the dead on the third day to be your Lord and Savior. You are "saved."You are baptized.Water baptism also gives the believer the opportunity to openly testify to others of his born-again experience. It serves as an outward sign and testimony of an inward grace. The believer has been crucified with Christ, buried with Him and raised together with Him to walk in newness of life (Romans 6:4).

A person is baptized into the Body of Christ (saved) before water baptism. For without first making Jesus Lord and believing that God raised Him from the dead, water baptism would have no purpose. Water baptism is an experience after salvation to confirm and strengthen your commitment to live a godly life.

The baptismal waters represent a burial ground. When you're buried with Christ in baptism, you are proclaiming to heaven, earth and hell that the old you no longer exists. To be buried with Jesus means that your old self died to sin just as Jesus did when He was made sin for us (Romans 6:3, 6, 10-12). That's why we are immersed. It's a picture of burial.

Coming up out of the water signifies our being raised to new life in Christ. To be raised with Jesus means making Him Lord of every area of your life-spirit, soul and body. You've been bought with the blood of Jesus and you belong to Him. Every day you now ask, "Lord, where do You want me to go? What do You want me to say? What do You want me to be? Not my will, but Thy will be done."
Thank you very much Pegasus :)

I was raised a Baptist, and that is why I'm so familiar with the terms. I am a Catholic also, but it's really a little more complicated in my case because my beliefs also align with the Orthodox faith, as well. As you know, we used to be one Church before The Great Schism that split the Church into two Churches.

it means acknowledging your sinfulness and making a profession of faith (saying out loud that Jesus is your Lord and Savior) and asking for forgiveness and most importantly believing it in your heart and actually making him Lord of your life (all decisions made through the lens of Christ).
This post was edited on 9/14 7:29 PM by dr_scottymac

Yes, he was baptized but of his own free will and of sound body/mind. It is a major decision to commit himself to a lifestyle vs having someone else speak for you.

That's awesome News!
Check out this guy's preaching videos.
Whether you are a Christian or not it will change your life if you apply what he says.
It's all scripture and will really help you in your daily walk.

Check these videos out

You always like to hear of these young guys finding their own path once they leave home. It's cool that he is comfortable off the field and living life well.

Best of luck Alex!

What a great way to start the week I am sooooie proud of the man, he has a great platform to spread to gospel by the way he lives. Alex is so humble, what a great razorback what great man he is.

Originally posted by J-Fox:
2.0 it's very similar to the confirmation process that we go thru
That's what I was about to say. Since our baptism happens as a baby our parents/godparents say the vows for us. Confirmation you reaffirm them yourself which would be similar to this.

I believe that Alex is a fine young man, but his private religious experience should not be a discussion of this board. I thought that religious discussion was not to be allowed??? Is this not the case?

Originally posted by sturdy61:
I believe that Alex is a fine young man, but his private religious experience should not be a discussion of this board. I thought that religious discussion was not to be allowed??? Is this not the case?
Or, you could simply not continue to read the post if it bothers you. There clearly is no debate or discussion on the validity of any religion here. Honestly I'm surprised by that but in a good way. So where there is no smoke there is no fire and therefore no need for a fire marshal.

Sturdy it was a public profession of his faith by definition. Was it not? Maybe I misunderstood - growing up, people would let the church congregation know they are saved through public profession. Then they follow up with baptism.

If he is happy, I see no harm in derailing the thread. Even when one makes a backhanded slap at another poster's religious views.

Well obviously a lot of people want to talk about it. It's great news and I'm sure he is proud of his decision to follow Christ.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT