ADVERTISEMENT

Another college shooting

Most of the time these shooters are doped up on FDA approved pharmaceuticals. Maybe we should pay more attention to those than the guns.

Reactions: WMFC
Most of the time these shooters are doped up on FDA approved pharmaceuticals. Maybe we should pay more attention to those than the guns.

Exactly... There are other issues involved than just guns. The government is so arrogant thinking they can just fix this problem with more legislation. The worst part is that fans of Obama, actually believe more legislation will fix the problem.

Exactly... There are other issues involved than just guns. The government is so arrogant thinking they can just fix this problem with more legislation. The worst part is that fans of Obama, actually believe more legislation will fix the problem.

I've always said they should check the medical history too. i.e. If they are on certain medications they shouldn't be allowed a gun. There's a database where pain doctors can check a patient to see if they've had prescriptions filled previously so they could use something like that.

Reactions: Paul Loyd
I've always said they should check the medical history too. i.e. If they are on certain medications they shouldn't be allowed a gun. There's a database where pain doctors can check a patient to see if they've had prescriptions filled previously so they could use something like that.

Who gets to determine what meds? Where do you draw the privacy line at?

How much more of an extensive background check do you want? Gun buyers are already checked against the federal records. If they don't have any felonies, guess what, you get a gun. I think they should link the background check system with the mental health systems. If you've been committed, you don't get a weapon. I think you should have to have a spotless record, not just no felonies but nothing more than traffic citations.

I wouldn't be against requiring every gun owner to take a safety class and have some sort of a license. I am not in favor of new legislation on gun specifics. Like limiting mags or banning automatic weapons.

At this point I don't care if they make it "more difficult" because in all likelyhood, already licensed people would be clear. And I am licensed.

I'm going to go buy a new pistol today. I can't wait. And I will carry it everywhere I'm allowed to carry it and truth be told, in some places I'm not allowed to carry it. Because my safety is more important than their rules.

What are you buying Jake?

You failed with your argument on facts

Britain had 35 gun murders last year
United States had 12 thousand gun murders

That is 1 of many facts that can be brought up on this subject, the United States gun control laws are a joke. The term back ground check in this country to own a gun is taken so lightly that the politicians who are allowing it should be put in jail.

To get something on your record which would disqualify an american from owning a gun is laughable, Federal law requires a court order to determine if someone is mentally stable or if committed to a mental institution will disqualify. That's it... Period... There is nothing else that stands in the way of a gun owner.

It makes no sense to say its punishing responsible gun owners to go through more red tape than simply walking into a gun shop as long as there is no court order against an individual. No reason for gun owners to feel threatened by strict gun control policies. 35 murders vs 12 thousand says you are wrong in your thinking

Do you really think this tells the whole story? Obviously, if you "ban" guns, there will technically be fewer guns in circulation (primarily due to law abiding citizens following the law), which results in fewer murders caused by guns. However, stop and think about this for like 5 seconds...

Finished? Okay, what are we missing? Oh, yeah, all of the OTHER ways people can murder someone. Now that you don't have the option to lawfully protect yourself with a firearm, the chances of being assaulted and/or murdered, rise exponentially. Don't believe me? No worries, you don't have to take my word for it...

dc.png

england.png

chicago.png

chicago_handguns.png

As you can hopefully see now, tougher gun legislation really doesn't solve anything. In fact, it is FAR MORE likely to make the issue worse. If you have the proper facts, there really isn't any room for debating the issue of gun control. Instead, the focus should be spent on funding mental health. The only common denominator is that those who commit these mass murders suffer from some form of mental issue. The weapon of choice isn't the problem. A prime example of that is the Kunming attack in China where 29 civilians were killed and another 140 were injured with only knives.

Do you really think this tells the whole story? Obviously, if you "ban" guns, there will technically be fewer guns in circulation (primarily due to law abiding citizens following the law), which results in fewer murders caused by guns. However, stop and think about this for like 5 seconds...

Finished? Okay, what are we missing? Oh, yeah, all of the OTHER ways people can murder someone. Now that you don't have the option to lawfully protect yourself with a firearm, the chances of being assaulted and/or murdered, rise exponentially. Don't believe me? No worries, you don't have to take my word for it...

dc.png

england.png

chicago.png

chicago_handguns.png

As you can hopefully see now, tougher gun legislation really doesn't solve anything. In fact, it is FAR MORE likely to make the issue worse. If you have the proper facts, there really isn't any room for debating the issue of gun control. Instead, the focus should be spent on funding mental health. The only common denominator is that those who commit these mass murders suffer from some form of mental issue. The weapon of choice isn't the problem. A prime example of that is the Kunming attack in China where 29 civilians were killed and another 140 were injured with only knives.

Bravo good chap

How much more of an extensive background check do you want? Gun buyers are already checked against the federal records. If they don't have any felonies, guess what, you get a gun. I think they should link the background check system with the mental health systems. If you've been committed, you don't get a weapon. I think you should have to have a spotless record, not just no felonies but nothing more than traffic citations.

I wouldn't be against requiring every gun owner to take a safety class and have some sort of a license. I am not in favor of new legislation on gun specifics. Like limiting mags or banning automatic weapons.

At this point I don't care if they make it "more difficult" because in all likelyhood, already licensed people would be clear. And I am licensed.

I'm going to go buy a new pistol today. I can't wait. And I will carry it everywhere I'm allowed to carry it and truth be told, in some places I'm not allowed to carry it. Because my safety is more important than their rules.

Jake
You just gave the perfect example of why guns should be banned lol.
You as a fantastic citizen refuse to follow rules.
I don't give a rats arse either way as i grew up without them and now I have them.
I don't hunt , but I do like to have one because of what lives across LA 2.

Jake
You just gave the perfect example of why guns should be banned lol.
You as a fantastic citizen refuse to follow rules.
I don't give a rats arse either way as i grew up without them and now I have them.
I don't hunt , but I do like to have one because of what lives across LA 2.

I follow the majority of the rules. It's mostly the local business that post no guns as a political tool. I'd never carry in a federal building or my work. But I'm carrying in Buffalo Wild Wings or a movie theater. Anywhere I feel like a threat could pop up.

Reactions: Mr.Razorback
I knew I shouldn't have opened this thread. Some in this thread need to do some research on confirmation bias and cognitive dissonance (not that it would do any good, due to the very nature of confirmation bias). It's clear many in this thread WANT to have their guns, so they only look at evidence that supports the theory that guns have nothing to do with the ridiculous number of murders and mass murders that are committed in this country. In that same vein, they discount entirely all the evidence to the contrary. It's so absurd that it hurts my heart.

People that are against more restrict gun control laws are putting their right to own a gun ahead of the lives of every single one of the innocent people who have been killed by being in front of the barrel of a gun (and much too many of them have been kids with their whole lives ahead of them). Rationalize it away all you want, but that is the simple truth. And it's disgusting.

BTW... I love hunting, but I love my kids and fellow man more than I'll ever love the right to shoot and own a gun.

I knew I shouldn't have opened this thread. Some in this thread need to do some research on confirmation bias and cognitive dissonance (not that it would do any good, due to the very nature of confirmation bias). It's clear many in this thread WANT to have their guns, so they only look at evidence that supports the theory that guns have nothing to do with the ridiculous number of murders and mass murders that are committed in this country. In that same vein, they discount entirely all the evidence to the contrary. It's so absurd that it hurts my heart.

People that are against more restrict gun control laws are putting their right to own a gun ahead of the lives of every single one of the innocent people who have been killed by being in front of the barrel of a gun (and much too many of them have been kids with their whole lives ahead of them). Rationalize it away all you want, but that is the simple truth. And it's disgusting.

BTW... I love hunting, but I love my kids and fellow man more than I'll ever love the right to shoot and own a gun.

Not completely true. I'm protecting the right to protect my family. The harsh truth is that there are threats everywhere. If you have had a family member taken from you by a random act of violence as I have, you would change your tune. I reserve the right to defend myself and my family. This government wants to make that more difficult for me to do that and I do not agree with it. My family member was unarmed and killed for 300 bucks. I refuse to deny myself the ability to shoot back.

Not completely true. I'm protecting the right to protect my family. The harsh truth is that there are threats everywhere. If you have had a family member taken from you by a random act of violence as I have, you would change your tune. I reserve the right to defend myself and my family. This government wants to make that more difficult for me to do that and I do not agree with it. My family member was unarmed and killed for 300 bucks. I refuse to deny myself the ability to shoot back.

I understand where you are coming from.
Back home we have gun control and it works
Here there is a whole other element that takes out normal moral thoughts

Hell it is fine for college kids to not get an education

QUOTE="admiral2480, post: 358331, member: 1310"]Do you really think this tells the whole story? Obviously, if you "ban" guns, there will technically be fewer guns in circulation (primarily due to law abiding citizens following the law), which results in fewer murders caused by guns. However, stop and think about this for like 5 seconds...

dc.png

england.png

chicago.png

chicago_handguns.png

As you can hopefully see now, tougher gun legislation really doesn't solve anything. In fact, it is FAR MORE likely to make the issue worse. If you have the proper facts, there really isn't any room for debating the issue of gun control. Instead, the focus should be spent on funding mental health. The only common denominator is that those who commit these mass murders suffer from some form of mental issue. The weapon of choice isn't the problem. A prime example of that is the Kunming attack in China where 29 civilians were killed and another 140 were injured with only knives.[/QUOTE]

You seem to randomly suggest stances I never brought up. Never said anything about "banning" guns. I suggested a stronger stance be made for someone who wants to own a gun that has a mental illness. Unfortunately, this will require a form of gun control because it does involve both guns and mental illness.

Your argument could be flawed though, its going to be difficult to convince 1 individual that the problem is not contained when they go into public places and start stabbing folks rather than shooting them dead. We go from losing 1 innocent person rather than a 15 or 20

He also neglects to mention that you can literally drive to the county line right out side of Chicago and pick up a firearm. It's really a terrible example.
Exactly! The criminals simply leave Chicago, pick up a weapon and come back and prey on the innocent, law-abiding citizens who are now unarmed. Chicago is a prime example of why gun legislation is simply ill-equipped to solve the problem. You must address the individual, not the weapon of choice. A deranged individual committed to causing harm is going to find a way, regardless of what is legal or not, while the law-abiding citizens are left more vulnerable than ever before.

Why do you think most mass shootings occur in areas like schools and movie theaters? Because the perpetrator, although mentally ill and a coward, is not an idiot. He/she knows that the "gun free" zones provide prime killing grounds because law-abiding citizens have no means for protecting themselves and police response is slow. If you eliminate the gun-free zones, I guarantee you that anyone who plans such an attack will rethink their target simply due to the possibility of encountering resistance by armed citizens.

QUOTE="admiral2480, post: 358331, member: 1310"]Do you really think this tells the whole story? Obviously, if you "ban" guns, there will technically be fewer guns in circulation (primarily due to law abiding citizens following the law), which results in fewer murders caused by guns. However, stop and think about this for like 5 seconds...

dc.png

england.png

chicago.png

chicago_handguns.png

You seem to randomly suggest stances I never brought up. Never said anything about "banning" guns. I suggested a stronger stance be made for someone who wants to own a gun that has a mental illness. Unfortunately, this will require a form of gun control because it does involve both guns and mental illness.

Your argument could be flawed though, its going to be difficult to convince 1 individual that the problem is not contained when they go into public places and start stabbing folks rather than shooting them dead. We go from losing 1 innocent person rather than a 15 or 20[/QUOTE]

You brought up those points by referencing the U.K., which banned handguns and then saw a rise in crime. Criminals no longer feared the law-abiding citizenry, which led to them preying on the defenseless.

I honestly have no idea what your second paragraph even means. That said, did you not read about the Kunming attack? It was MORE deadly than most gun-related mass killings and only involved knives. The casualty count was incredibly high primarily due to the silent nature of stabbing people and slitting throats.

The bottom line is someone committed to murdering someone is going to find a way. The best first line of defense is providing proper mental health resources. The last line of defense is an armed citizen. Even the possibility of encountering a single armed individual is a very strong deterrent.

Just a random dude with no crazy papers or high on drugs. Just 7 guns and 9 dead.

When are you libs going to stand up and realize this is YOUR mess. You want to blame guns when in fact it's the victimized, entitled, perpetually mistreated generation that the hippie/yuppie generations have been social engineering for the last 20-30 years. You have raised(and demanded everybody else raise) a bunch of sissified whiney babies that believe that anytime that don't feel good about themselves, somebody has done them wrong. And b/c they have been taught that if they really FEEL something(no matter how absurd), it can't be wrong, they retaliate as they see fit. No more whippings, no more personal responsibility, no more accountability, just finding somebody else to blame when life aint easy. And now you want to blame guns instead of the generation you engineered to be totally self centered and soulless in the name high self worth. Good freaking job.

Guns have been around as long as this country has existed, but this mass shooting business is a relatively new norm in our country. Clearly, the guns aren't doing it or it would be something every generation has had to deal with since guns were invented. Ironically, the same generation that taught the latest generation that nothing is their fault, is now looking for somebody/something else to blame for the mess they have made. I hate liberals.

Last edited:
When are you libs going to stand up and realize this is YOUR mess. You want to blame guns when in fact it's the victimized, entitled, perpetually mistreated generation that the hippie/yuppie generations have been social engineering for the last 20-30 years. You have raised(and demanded everybody else raise) a bunch of sissified whiney babies that believe that anytime that don't feel good about themselves, somebody has done them wrong. And b/c they have been taught that if they really FEEL something(no matter how absurd), it can't be wrong, they retaliate as they see fit. No more whippings, no more personal responsibility, no more accountability, just finding somebody else to blame when life aint easy. And now you want to blame guns instead of the generation you engineered to be totally self centered and soulless in the name high self worth. Good freaking job.

Guns have been around as long as this country has existed, but this mass shooting business is a relatively new norm in our country. Clearly, the guns aren't doing it or it would be something every generation has had to deal with since guns were invented. Ironically, the same generation that taught the latest generation that nothing is their fault, is now looking for somebody/something else to blame for the mess they have made. I hate liberals.
Haha well I'm not a liberal or conservative because both are full of hate and my mom and dad raised me to love thy neighbor. Sad country we live in..I did picture Yosimite Sam on that last statement.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT