ADVERTISEMENT

OT CNBC picks top ten worst states...

Oh I agree about the ridicule. The problem is that our accent is associated with being uneducated. Some of that's fair and is in line with the stats. That's kind of what I was getting at with the little man comment. We puff our region up b\c we're ridiculed for being poor and uneducated (which is partly true). The problem I have is that we act like it's not true which prevents us from ever doing much about it.
There are definitely truths about our region that can't be denied but you can be intelligent and still have pride regarding your roots. The rest of the country has preconceived notions about the south just like we do regarding them but in the end I'm happy where I'm from.

Reactions: hotspringsroadhog
Well it would be nice if more people in the south would take some real pride and make some actual improvements. The South gets knocked for being uneducated, unhealthy and non-inclusive. Those are warranted criticisms. They aren't opinions, they are facts. Most southern states, including Arkansas, are less educated, less healthy and less inclusive than the rest of the country. I can post plenty of fox news studies saying the exact same thing for those of you in this thread that don't believe anything if it doesn't come out of Sean Hannity's mouth.

If you want to stop being the butt of the joke then stop being willfully ignorant. Stop acting like these things aren't real problems in places like Arkansas.
These are real problems but you can try to eradicate these problems and still have pride in where you come from.

These are real problems but you can try to eradicate these problems and still have pride in where you come from.

Absolutely. I wasn't directing that comment at you. There are people in this thread that read something like this study and ignore it because they don't like the findings. That isn't pride, it's ignorance.

There are definitely truths about our region that can't be denied but you can be intelligent and still have pride regarding your roots. The rest of the country has preconceived notions about the south just like we do regarding them but in the end I'm happy where I'm from.
Oh trust me I've had to put more than a few in their place.

I live in rural, north central Arkansas and worry much more about crime and drugs here than I ever did in little Rock.

Maybe the liberal btards that watch that channel won't come and we won't have to deal with them
Heaven forbid that anyone is exposed to people who don't think exactly as they do. If they're not watching Fox they must be traitors. I get my news from CNN, MSNBC and to a lesser degree Fox. I consider the source and recognize the bias of each.

Reactions: gbbaber
Don't get me wrong, I've found Arkansans and southerners to be very friendly, down to earth people. What I've found is we don't have a monopoly on that. By and large, everywhere I've got I've met friendly, nice people. A lot of that "Southern Hospitality" is also a bit of little man syndrome this area of the country has. You hear it with the hospitality, or how good a business school Arkansas has, or what a great Children's hospital we have. The stats don't bear those out but we say that b\c I think deep down we know it's poor, etc and nobody wants to dump on where they came from. Southerners can be very good, friendly people, but we don't have a monopoly on it like we think we do.

Neither do other places have a monopoly on better things just because they or others that are arrogant elitists that THINK the south is below them. Being educated is not the same as being intelligent.

Well it would be nice if more people in the south would take some real pride and make some actual improvements. The South gets knocked for being uneducated, unhealthy and non-inclusive. Those are warranted criticisms. They aren't opinions, they are facts. Most southern states, including Arkansas, are less educated, less healthy and less inclusive than the rest of the country. I can post plenty of fox news studies saying the exact same thing for those of you in this thread that don't believe anything if it doesn't come out of Sean Hannity's mouth.

If you want to stop being the butt of the joke then stop being willfully ignorant. Stop acting like these things aren't real problems in places like Arkansas.

I would imagine one side will quit believing everything that comes out of Hannity's mouth when the other side quits believing everything that comes out of ABC, CBS, NBC, CNN, MSNBC, etc, etc's mouth. Equality you know, if you're going to accuse one side accuse all sides.

As for the statement of being less inclusive in the South, in my experience that is just flat wrong. I've lived just about all over this country and the worst racism, bigotry, etc I've seen isn't in the South. Someone said that Southerners didn't have a claim to having the nicest people in the country that they had met nice people everywhere. Well that statement cuts both ways, the other places had worse people than what I saw growing up in Hope. NYC, Chicago, Michigan, California all had some of the most hateful, uninclusive people I've ever had to be around. I was from the poor side of town and I wasn't included in the important kids in school even though I had close to the top grade in my class. I was shunned by some of the kids from the important families, not all, but it was enough to learn there are many forms of non-inclusiveness including cultural, education, "live in a better state", etc which is all just an attempt to impress yourself when you're putting down another place versus defending your own.

When my youngest was 14 he was visiting his mother is San Francisco. He held a door for a girl and her mother, the girl ask what he was doing. The mom said, "he's from the south." No exclusive on manners but seems more southerners are nicer.
Wait, that can't be true not with many of the arguments on this board.

Reactions: VBHOG
Maybe the liberal btards that watch that channel won't come and we won't have to deal with them
What are you even trying to say? You can't spell and I imagine you're trying to disparage democrats? Good luck. Try expanding your horizons instead of living in ignorance.

I would imagine one side will quit believing everything that comes out of Hannity's mouth when the other side quits believing everything that comes out of ABC, CBS, NBC, CNN, MSNBC, etc, etc's mouth. Equality you know, if you're going to accuse one side accuse all sides.

As for the statement of being less inclusive in the South, in my experience that is just flat wrong. I've lived just about all over this country and the worst racism, bigotry, etc I've seen isn't in the South. Someone said that Southerners didn't have a claim to having the nicest people in the country that they had met nice people everywhere. Well that statement cuts both ways, the other places had worse people than what I saw growing up in Hope. NYC, Chicago, Michigan, California all had some of the most hateful, uninclusive people I've ever had to be around. I was from the poor side of town and I wasn't included in the important kids in school even though I had close to the top grade in my class. I was shunned by some of the kids from the important families, not all, but it was enough to learn there are many forms of non-inclusiveness including cultural, education, "live in a better state", etc which is all just an attempt to impress yourself when you're putting down another place versus defending your own.
Again, it's a study. You can argue it with generalities and exceptions, but we are less educated and less healthy than just about every other state in the country. There's nothing else to it.

Yeah all those bad living conditions and smog is why so many mid western folks move down to northern AR to retire. Haven't seen many leaving from here moving to Chicago to retire
People in Arkansas know the difference between NW AR and SE AR. I think the air quality part comes partly from pollen and allergens. But also anyone who has lived in a town with a paper mill, or anything to do with poultry and hog farming and processing, will tell you it's not nice being downwind.

That is great that you haven't experienced that in the South, but this isn't a subjective issue. This study is using legislation from these states that limit the rights of people living there. It's not about how you feel, it's about the laws governing these states.

There's a misconception from a lot of people that studies like this are an indictment of the people that live in Arkansas or other southern states. It may be for some of the people but only a small minority. It's mostly the people in charge that these studies make look bad. Now the people of Arkansas could stop electing those politicians and policy makers that support anti-inclusiveness, anti health, anti-environment etc, but that's a different discussion.

Reactions: Lolly Hog
That is great that you haven't experienced that in the South, but this isn't a subjective issue. This study is using legislation from these states that limit the rights of people living there. It's not about how you feel, it's about the laws governing these states.

There's a misconception from a lot of people that studies like this are an indictment of the people that live in Arkansas or other southern states. It may be for some of the people but only a small minority. It's mostly the people in charge that these studies make look bad. Now the people of Arkansas could stop electing those politicians and policy makers that support anti-inclusiveness, anti health, anti-environment etc, but that's a different discussion.
I think that you are missing something regarding the defensiveness of southern people. Celebrities, media, people from other regions of the country, and even some politicians have bashed the south for so long that they have created a an atmosphere of defensiveness. Even though most of the points inside this study are true there is also unnecessary criticism of this region at times.

Reactions: Lolly Hog
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT