ADVERTISEMENT

JoJo Robinson twee

I'm African-American and I've been stopped a couple of times leaving Walmart. Stopped by an older black lady "mid 60ish" at that. I look at it like she was just doing her job making sure no one was shoplifting. I don't know what happened with Jojo so I can't rule what might have happened. And like Danny kind of implied I would bet money that that guy wouldn't have used that phrase with an African American.

If the person that stopped Jojo was black, Would It Make A difference? If the ticket checker at the movies was black, would it make a difference?
If the answer is yes, then there wasn't any racist behavior.

Reactions: Magreer76
Curious to know how some of y'all would have reacted to this. I'm a pretty laid-back, non-confrontational guy. I wish I wasn't so laid back at times. I've got friends, Trey for example, who will put anyone on blast anytime, anywhere, if they're not doing a good job or if they're just plain stupid. I've learned to appreciate that way of doing things in order to get a point across. Maybe I should give it a shot next time and see how it feels.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the story Danny. I appreciate you for how you handled him. But I'm pretty certain he would not have said that to my face because I'm a black dude. If he had, I'm not sure how I would have responded.

If the person that stopped Jojo was black, Would It Make A difference? If the ticket checker at the movies was black, would it make a difference?
If the answer is yes, then there wasn't any racist behavior.

I have been stopped numerous times. They usually will check your receipt if you have goods that are not bagged.

Reactions: HOGTAIL
I have been stopped numerous times. They usually will check your receipt if you have goods that are not bagged.

Alex hasn't caused a ton of problems. He may have slacked off on practice or something...but that doesn't make him a "ton of problems." Let's see how Graham, Merrick and Pulley do before we throw the baby out with the bath water.

I got stopped in el dorado Walmart 3 weeks ago and I'm damn near glow in the dark.

Lol. That's funny.

The electronic alarm probably sounded and they had to check their cart. It's happened to me more than once. There is a lot of theft at the 6th street Wal Mart. They are probably on high alert.

Racism does exist. But having to show a receipt certainly isn't proof of it.

Curious to know how some of y'all would have reacted to this.

Coming from where I'm from, i grew up hearing that word every day and have heard that phrase used numerous times. I am thankful I was raised by parents who did not talk like that.

That being said, I'm not sure how I would react to it now that i've been around more civilized people the past 13 years...lol

I don't know what exactly happened. But seeing that Wal-Mart is essentially everywhere, including the Miami area, this is probably not the first time he's ever been inside a Wal-Mart. He may be young, but I believe he can distinguish whether someone is merely checking a receipt or literally holding him at the store for suspicion of theft.

Insitutional racism is a part of our country's history that lasted several hundred years, and my guess is that it will take just as many years to totally relieve our society of it and the angst it caused. It will take many, many generations.

Like Morgan Freeman has said many many times. And I quote him. " IF you want racism to end, quit talking about it."

That quote can very much be taken out of context though. He was talking about how he didn't like Black History Month. He said "black history is just American history, why is it relegated to a particular month?" When he said the "quit talking about it" line, his point was that we stop referring to each other by race ("I know this black dude named Joe").

He wasn't saying people shouldn't speak up if they feel they've been discriminated against.

I'm not defending his tweet, but one person said in this thread "he probably was just asked to show his receipt" and now people have grabbed on to that comment like that's what happened.....?

Until more info comes out as to the details I hesitate to say whether he has a beef or not.

He might have been stopped because he is black but one thing that gets me with these race issues is that they are so one sided. There are racist people of all colors but white people get almost 100% of the blame for it. I think this country is past the stage where black people cant get jobs and can't better themselves because of the color of skin. It's all about how you carry yourself!! if you look at the big picture most of the race issues are coming from people who are out commiting crimes and running the streets. What I'm getting at is its not all racist white people that are causing these problems. If you don't want to be shot or don't want your kids to be shot quit committing crimes and get you kids off the streets and discipline them and quit letting them run wild. That goes for white Mexican and black people and any others

I don't know the situation he tweeted about, but after seeing several of his tweets....I think it would be better for him and the University if he didn't have social media privileges for a while.

So Danny's story about Lowes is one I can relate to often. I'm a white male who has been married to a black woman for 19 years now. I've been at the same job for 20 years and I can't count how many times I've had customers freely use the N word to me. Not knowing that i'm married to a black woman. When I was younger I often got confrontational and let them know quick I didn't appreciate that term. Usually that was followed by "oh my best friend is black" which just made me more mad.

Now the guys that work for me speak up before I ever hear it or have to say anything. It still makes me so mad but I have learned to deal with it in a better way. There are a lot of ignorant people still in this world. Whats sad is they are raising their kids to be the same way.

A poster above says the way to end racism is to quit talking about it. Are you serious? Its funny to me that people that have never been a victim of racism always know how to end or that its really not that bad.

Danny thanks for putting that dude in check!

He might have been stopped because he is black but one thing that gets me with these race issues is that they are so one sided. There are racist people of all colors but white people get almost 100% of the blame for it. I think this country is past the stage where black people cant get jobs and can't better themselves because of the color of skin. It's all about how you carry yourself!! if you look at the big picture most of the race issues are coming from people who are out commiting crimes and running the streets. What I'm getting at is its not all racist white people that are causing these problems. If you don't want to be shot or don't want your kids to be shot quit committing crimes and get you kids off the streets and discipline them and quit letting them run wild. That goes for white Mexican and black people and any others
Well, this certainly took a different direction in a hurry......:eek:

Trying to get it back on the original topic...

I think at the age of 44, I would have done something similar to Danny. The guy needs to know the world has changed and he needs to change with it. I'm not a fan of getting someone fired over a single mistake though. I think in general people in this country have gotten a little out of hand and need to re-learn that an appropriate and measured response is generally best, not trying to ignite a huge controversy.

As for whether or not JoJo experienced some racial profiling, I can't tell from his tweet. I can say that I worked at Wal Mart when I was in college, stocking shelves, and anytime two or more black kids came in without adult supervision, the floor manager would come and tell me to follow them around and make sure they don't steal anything. I would tell him 'OK' but then just go about my job and forget about it. I wasn't trying to get into it with a manager, but I also had no interest in perpetuating his racism. In hindsight, maybe I should have taken a stand, but at the age of 20 in rural Arkansas it's a tough thing to do.

Just reporting what I saw. Have no info or opinion.[/QUOTE

Definitely with Danny on this. It's amazing, even when no one knows what exactly happened, people are so quick to pass it off as a receipt thing and not a racist act. I don't know either but I know where I live and I know its out there. In the end, I wish JoJo would use the rule "think 3 times" before hitting send, but if it were such an act, its hard to blame the kid. Just wish he'd gone to his support group instead of to the world.

All of you white guys who are blaming jojo just kill me. Yeah, because you know exactly how it feels.

As for the guy quoting Morgan freeman, that could not be more out of context. Wow.

And Danny, I've been in situations like that several times throughout my life, and I almost always wish I had said more than I did. I normally make it awkward by doing something similar to what you did. I remember a guy saying we "weren't ready" for a black president, which is fair enough if you are comi from an honorable place, but this guy was coming from a racist place, and we got all the way to a shoving match and I regretted that, too. So it's never an easy thing to handle.

i hope Jo Jo gets his stuff together and makes a career for himself here at Arkansas. As for the guy at Walmart "if he was being racist" Jo Jo can't let one idiot get to him and make him put things on social media that makes the whole state look bad.

Did any of ya'll happen to catch Jerry Seinfeld on The Herd the other day? He basically said that young people use words like "racism" and "sexist" without knowing the true meaning of the words, and they just use them because they are used so frequently in today's culture.

i hope Jo Jo gets his stuff together and makes a career for himself here at Arkansas. As for the guy at Walmart "if he was being racist" Jo Jo can't let one idiot get to him and make him put things on social media that makes the whole state look bad.
Ah, yes, god forbid he mention racism publicly and make all of us whities look bad! We just can't abide that now can we?

So Danny's story about Lowes is one I can relate to often. I'm a white male who has been married to a black woman for 19 years now. I've been at the same job for 20 years and I can't count how many times I've had customers freely use the N word to me. Not knowing that i'm married to a black woman. When I was younger I often got confrontational and let them know quick I didn't appreciate that term. Usually that was followed by "oh my best friend is black" which just made me more mad.

Now the guys that work for me speak up before I ever hear it or have to say anything. It still makes me so mad but I have learned to deal with it in a better way. There are a lot of ignorant people still in this world. Whats sad is they are raising their kids to be the same way.

A poster above says the way to end racism is to quit talking about it. Are you serious? Its funny to me that people that have never been a victim of racism always know how to end or that its really not that bad.

Danny thanks for putting that dude in check!
5 stars.........................Thanks for the reminder that racism and being racist and/or insensitive is not a on and off switch.

I wish I was blameless, but I know that I have failed in this area of my being.
I could blame environment, upbringing, and age, but in reflection, using how I was raised or my environment growing up is
such a lame crutch, a weakness, laziness, and to be succinct, rude, crude, and intolerant.

I have a college degree, years of enlightenment, went to high school where the breakdown of white and black was near 50-50
both in the student population and football team, and have worked side-by-side by men and women of all races.

My religious beliefs and church of worship state that ALL men and women are the children of God, though even there, some
well meaning elderly backwoods men would state in absolutes of the certainty of unequal status of the races of mankind, which
while shaking my head in affirmation, was baffled how men of God could feel that way and espouse those beliefs to the younger
men in the church.

And yet, in my disgust of how men and women of different faiths and races are treated, and how I try so hard
to overcome and rise above intolerant behavior, I shamefully admit that I still fall short of the goal of how I perceive
a Godly man, a sensitive man, a tolerant man, a unbiased man, and a man that I would be much more proud of looking
into the mirror at, should me.

Should JoJo Robinson use social media to vent his perceptions or frustrations? My opinion I find is not as relevant or
important, since my own shortcomings over 59+ years loom significantly larger in heart and soul. I hope no wrongs or
injustices are thrust in his face during his time on the Hill, and I hope we Hog fans can find the patience and forgiveness
for him if he is wrong in how he deals with life in NWA, and life in general, in much the same way as I ask for myself
and others like me, better than some, but behind where I and the world needs me to be.

I know JoJo makes some really bad moves on social media at times, but I'd be curious to know exactly what happened before commenting on it. I did see a post from another player's mother tonight that led me to believe her son had also experienced something racist tonight, so like I said I'd have to know all the details.

Kind of on the same topic, here's something that happened to me just yesterday at Lowe's:

I'm trying to plumb a bathroom sink at home and I have no idea what I'm doing, so I asked an employee (a white man who I would guess is in his 60s) for some help and he gave me a useful shortcut and it was exactly what I needed to finish the job.

He then said "Some might call it ------ rigged but it'll work." All I could come up with for a reply was, "Wow dude, you realize it's 2015 right?" He laughed and said, "Ohhh, come on now, I'm just being funny." I said, "I know, but if you say that to somebody who's married to a black person I bet they're not going to be as nice as I am. Appreciate the help though," and walked away. Been thinking all night if I let him off the hook too easy. If I report him, he probably loses his job and then we'd have one more capable, yet worthless, human being sitting at home and depending on those of us who are capable, respectable and hard-working. Just an old man who's stuck in his ways and will never change. Maybe the awkwardness of our exchange will teach him to at least not bring it to work with him.

Curious to know how some of y'all would have reacted to this. I'm a pretty laid-back, non-confrontational guy. I wish I wasn't so laid back at times. I've got friends, Trey for example, who will put anyone on blast anytime, anywhere, if they're not doing a good job or if they're just plain stupid. I've learned to appreciate that way of doing things in order to get a point across. Maybe I should give it a shot next time and see how it feels.

I was at the Waffle House on MLK one night and sitting at the bar top waiting for my food, when a rather unpleasant situation arose. There was a nice looking latino couple a few chairs away that were just enjoying each other's company and was asking the waitress some questions about the menu. The guy spoke excellent English, but his lady friend needed a little interpretation. The white guy sitting next to me blurted out something to me along the lines of "stupid wetback illegals need to either learn the language or get out of our country, right?" As if just because I'm white - I agree with all of his racist philosophies. I confronted him about it in a rather assertive tone, to which he responded to by cowering and leaving before his food was done cooking.

As it turned out, the latino guy was a small business owner and American citizen, that owned several authentic Mexican restaurants in the NWA area. He expressed his gratitude to me, bought my meal, and invited me to dine at any of his restaurants - which I did, and never had to pay a penny for my meal.

So yes, racism does exist and it's everywhere. There's not a week that goes by that I don't see at least one truck with a Rebel Flag in the window or on the license plate. Just because you don't see it, doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Ah, yes, god forbid he mention racism publicly and make all of us whities look bad! We just can't abide tha
so do you think that everytime one race gets confronted about something by another race it should be put on social media as racist? Do you think this keeps the tension high between different races? if Jo Jo wasn't doing anything wrong and he had a receipt that showed he paid for what was in his hand all he had to do was show his receipt and prove he paid for the items. If the worker was being racist then that just makes him look stupid.

So if he had been told Two white men with beards had slipped in he should check black, white, Chinese all to prevent someone's feelings being hurt. I'm not sure how I feel about that. There is validity in both arguments.
Until you're in that situation and you see how humiliating it is to the person who is confronted, it may make sense to do it that way...but when you walk into a theater and ask two young black girls to see their tickets and don't ask all of the white people in the theater the same thing...it becomes obvious very quickly that there's a better way.

Reactions: SausagePatty
Knowing the kids that snuck in are black and checking a white person ticket doesn't make sense. If the ticket taker saw which theater the kids went in is the only way tickets should have been checked.
Can you at least agree that going theater to theater only checking black people's tickets in front of all the white people gawking wasn't the way to handle it?

Reactions: SausagePatty
Well...when blacks quit using the "N" word, perhaps everyone will. 99% of the time when I hear it, it came from a black person.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT