ADVERTISEMENT

OT Just an FYI - The undefeated.com by ESPN

1-1-Six Hog

Starter
Jan 20, 2012
Looks like ESPN has launched a new site geared for younger people and many races. A couple of good reads over there, just thought I'd mention it here. A bit different than your normal sport site.

http://theundefeated.com/

Anyone have an alternate site/similar site to grantland type stuff?

Looks like ESPN has launched a new site geared for younger people and many races. A couple of good reads over there, just thought I'd mention it here. A bit different than your normal sport site.

http://theundefeated.com/

Anyone have an alternate site/similar site to grantland type stuff?

theringer.com is Bill Simmons' new site. It's isn't up yet but I get their newsletters.

I had been subscribed to their letter until I realized Simmons was never going to write for it. Hopefully he does some writing for the website.

He pretty much brought all of Grantland with him so I'm optimistic.

On another note, I saw his promo for his new show on HBO and came away unimpressed. He's not a TV guy, so hopefully it will be good.

On another note, I saw his promo for his new show on HBO and came away unimpressed.

I saw the promo as well. I'm sure it was the same one. He lists what he believes in, and finished with telling billionaire owners to "buy their own f**king stadiums", or something to that effect. I came away thinking the same thing. It seemed a little too hot-takey for me.

I don't understand why that is needed? I would love to hear a valid explanation on why this is needed ?

Maybe so that certain people not like you, who don't care if you understand or not, want to read a certain type of content not usually found on ESPN.com's main site.

Reactions: gbbaber
I don't understand why that is needed? I would love to hear a valid explanation on why this is needed ?

Would have to agree, if a caucasion espn site was created i personally wouldnt see that as a good thing. Would expect alot of negative feedback from the media and an uproar from the general public. The site isnt offensive to me personally...just seems odd that they are building barriers around the website

Maybe so that certain people not like you, who don't care if you understand or not, want to read a certain type of content not usually found on ESPN.com's main site.

If someone doesn't care if an opposition view doesn't understand then one is to surmise that the 1st party doesn't want the 2nd party to understand.....

Compartmentalization will never lead to unification. There has not been more division and seperation between the races of our nation in my 36 years. And it seems all anyone wants to do is further huddle into smaller and smaller groups of people exactly like themselves while shouting unity and acceptance of them and not for all. The PC media and over sensitive action groups do more to tell everyone about their differences than most of the people they blame for thier plight. This website seems to be driven toward a racial line demographic. As a previous poster stated if there were a "caucasion" website I wouldn't go near it. In today's world the media determine what is news instead of letting a storys ability to capture the mind drive what gets the copy.

My 2 cents anyway.....

Likely part of an effort to create content that may allow the ESPN network to maintain long term relevance. There is a huge threat to networks just ahead. The time where networks are necessary to produce and broadcast sporting events is passing. The time is coming when the teams, leagues, conferences may choose to produce and broadcast their games independently and it has been predicted that unless the networks such as ESPN can't produce original programming, they will fall hard. It's a new world out there boys.

If someone doesn't care if an opposition view doesn't understand then one is to surmise that the 1st party doesn't want the 2nd party to understand.....

Compartmentalization will never lead to unification. There has not been more division and seperation between the races of our nation in my 36 years. And it seems all anyone wants to do is further huddle into smaller and smaller groups of people exactly like themselves while shouting unity and acceptance of them and not for all. The PC media and over sensitive action groups do more to tell everyone about their differences than most of the people they blame for thier plight. This website seems to be driven toward a racial line demographic. As a previous poster stated if there were a "caucasion" website I wouldn't go near it. In today's world the media determine what is news instead of letting a storys ability to capture the mind drive what gets the copy.

My 2 cents anyway.....

Spot on, BHF. Well said and 100% correct.

My 2 cents anyway.....

Good take. If there were a Caucasian only news site, I wouldn't even entertain bc it'd make me feel like my views/traffic would be supporting some type of segregation movement.

I just wonder how long outlets like BET will continue to be widely accepted. The entertainment that is consumed on BET is widely enjoyed and beloved by many worldwide. Like another poster, I also fail to understand why you'd want to promote racial exclusivity/separation in one of the least needed areas like entertainment.

Entertainment and sports have long been vehicles of transcending differences in religions, race, gender and ethnicities, so I'm not totally sure why one would be comfortable with supporting a network that puts a hand up and suggests any form of race should be preferred or featured over another.

Reactions: Joe Thornton
I guess my perspective is that, as a white person, it's not my place to judge or comment on the necessity or worth of a website angled toward a black readership. It doesn't affect me at all.

ESPN.com might be one of the worst sites on the interwebs. So give the other spinoff sites time. They will eventually suck.

My 2 cents anyway.....

Your implication of division or "more division" today is simply unfounded and not accurate. It would appear that as opposed to basing your opinion on real life experiences, you are drawing upon things you have seen "reported" or things you've been told by someone else. Maybe you could cite some examples from your day to day experiences that support such a statement.

I work with people from all over the world, and have never seen any hint of division. My children attend public schools, I've never seen or even heard of any division among the students/teachers. I "hear" the same things you do, but your depiction don't match my experiences...but maybe it's just me.

I guess my perspective is that, as a white person, it's not my place to judge or comment on the necessity or worth of a website angled toward a black readership. It doesn't affect
Your implication of division or "more division" today is simply unfounded and not accurate. It would appear that as opposed to basing your opinion on real life experiences, you are drawing upon things you have seen "reported" or things you've been told by someone else. Maybe you could cite some examples from your day to day experiences that support such a statement.

I work with people from all over the world, and have never seen any hint of division. My children attend public schools, I've never seen or even heard of any division among the students/teachers. I "hear" the same things you do, but your depiction don't match my experiences...but maybe it's just me.
I have lived in Missouri for the past 3 years. The heartland of America doesn't just disagree with your experiences they have protested and rioted to prove it. Note that I am not discussing approval or disapproval of those actions just the point that it is happening is the supporting evidence. The divisions here are palpable and seems from every indicator it has been encouraged from the highest levels while promoted for advertising dollars from every major "news" outlet. Race baiting government officials supported by an all to eager click and viewer driven tabloid "news" industry that in itself is purely polarizing. There seems to me to be no middle ground anymore for just about any topic. You seemingly must choose a side or a group to fit into so the opposition can label you, mock you, and attempt to shame you into submission.

If you aren't seeing any of that in your life then yes, we have different surroundings.

Likely part of an effort to create content that may allow the ESPN network to maintain long term relevance. There is a huge threat to networks just ahead. The time where networks are necessary to produce and broadcast sporting events is passing. The time is coming when the teams, leagues, conferences may choose to produce and broadcast their games independently and it has been predicted that unless the networks such as ESPN can't produce original programming, they will fall hard. It's a new world out there boys.
Right on the money. They're the cash cow but are going to have to diversify (no pun intended) their showings, web content, etc to stay relevant.

I have lived in Missouri for the past 3 years. The heartland of America doesn't just disagree with your experiences they have protested and rioted to prove it. Note that I am not discussing approval or disapproval of those actions just the point that it is happening is the supporting evidence. The divisions here are palpable and seems from every indicator it has been encouraged from the highest levels while promoted for advertising dollars from every major "news" outlet. Race baiting government officials supported by an all to eager click and viewer driven tabloid "news" industry that in itself is purely polarizing. There seems to me to be no middle ground anymore for just about any topic. You seemingly must choose a side or a group to fit into so the opposition can label you, mock you, and attempt to shame you into submission.

If you aren't seeing any of that in your life then yes, we have different surroundings.

I didn't say I see "none of that", I simply disagree with the implication that we are "more divided" than any time in the last 40 years. You refer to the media and politicians which is my original point that people may say these things but in terms of day to day life, I simply disagree.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT