ADVERTISEMENT

OT:Governor instructs state police open carry is lawful in Arkansas

My wife and I both have CCW permits along with most of the family. I think if you have a CCW permit you should be allowed to carry open if you desire. If more people carried criminals would think twice since someone is going to return fire or flat out drop them from their flank. I’m in my 40’s and didn’t feel this way when I was younger. The world has become a place where you can’t count on your fellow citizens to do the right thing and our personal safety is a personal responsibility.

Interesting tidbit:

There is a law on the books in Arkansas since the 1800’s that if you are traveling 25 or more miles from home you can have a loaded gun in your vehicle. I always thought that was an interesting law.

Reactions: hogfever and kj0N
I once had a conceal carry permit & I own several guns, including a handgun. I just read the statute & I don't see how it allows for open carry unless you are on a journey. JMO

I think open carry for a non-police or non-military person is stupid. I'm totally for concealed carry as long as the person has the license. This is not the Wild Wild West, no matter how much crap you read in the news. If people started open carrying all the time, I would definitely stay home a lot more.

Reactions: RzrbckDS
No one has been sited in Arkansas for open carry since the newest view of the law came into place so there is no legal precedent to go on.

Discuss

https://www.google.com/amp/5newsonl...r-state-law-allows-open-carry-of-weapons/amp/
The governor has the authority to do this, but he can't issue a simple decree. He needs to go through the administrative procedures act process and develop a regulation as the law requires. I'm surprised that nobody has really pointed that out. He probably knows this though, and it is only political and he's covering his right wing for the primary.

I'm curious, how many times have you needed a gun to protect your family? How many times have you used a gun to stop a school or public shooting? It's not that I'm against guns, it's just incredible that people use the "protection" argument for carrying a handgun. Folks act like there is deadly violence in their neighborhoods or where they spend a majority of time, when that's just not the case. Unless you spend a majority of your day in the hood, why do you need to carry a gun? It makes no sense.

Reactions: WMFC
The unfortunate part of this, without delving into the gun debate, the Governor’s edict now can be cited by accused criminals in gun possession “related” prosecutions...it is not precedent, but sows confusion. Should be addressed appropriately by the legislature...people want to know how guilty people get off on technicalities...I give you Exhibit A...nice work

I'm curious, how many times have you needed a gun to protect your family? How many times have you used a gun to stop a school or public shooting? It's not that I'm against guns, it's just incredible that people use the "protection" argument for carrying a handgun. Folks act like there is deadly violence in their neighborhoods or where they spend a majority of time, when that's just not the case. Unless you spend a majority of your day in the hood, why do you need to carry a gun? It makes no sense.
How many times have you used your life insurance? Why would anyone pay for something they will never get the benefit of using?

Your odds of needing life insurance are higher than your odds of having to kill someone with a handgun.

moved to the appropriate forum...The Grim Bottom...reason......political post with likely derailing prospects

Your odds of needing life insurance are higher than your odds of having to kill someone with a handgun.
I will never need my life insurance policy for myself. My wife may use it but I promise I won't be able to. However, I may be put in a position to use my firearm to prevent my wife from using my life insurance policy.

Reactions: BOSSHOGFREE
I understand the violence you are talking about, but how would having a gun stop an unexpected shooting after a boxing match, someone getting shot at a stoplight, or a woman being assaulted? The short answer is that it wouldn’t make a difference. Now, if you are dealing with a road rage situation that turns violent or a home invasion where you have time to react, then it would resolve it. Again, I’m not against guns, but most people who carry handguns are under a false sense of safety because most violent situations happen faster than you can draw.

My cousin was shot in the leg at a boxing match a few years ago in LR because he exited with the crowd nothing more nothing less. One of my other cousins was passenger of a car when another car pulled up and shot & killed the driver. It was a mistaken identity situation. Shootings, stabbings, lone wolf attacks etc happening in large areas daily. Women are attacked at massive rates on college campuses.

A firearm is an insurance policy. One you hope you never gave to use. But you will thank God you have it if it is ever needed.
I am for gun rights 100%. I think that any citizen not convicted of a violent felony should be able to carry. There are some debatable exceptions such as severe mental illness which could hamper judgement, but I honestly don't know where to draw the line and expect it is not possible to draw a line. That being said, comparing a gun to an insurance policy is a huge false equivalency. An insurance policy never accidentally killed a third party. If you want a better equivalent comparison, a gun is a hammer. It is a tool there when you need it even if you don't want to. Most of the time you hit the nail. Sometimes you hit your thumb. All tools are dangerous this includes guns and this is where gun rights debates usually break down even if I personally support them.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT