ADVERTISEMENT

OT: US Patent Office cancels "Redskins" trademark regisgtration

Scott O.

Hall of Fame
Gold Member
Jun 23, 2002
They cite their policy that trademarks shouldn't "disparage" groups or "bring them into contempt or disrepute."

This basically means that anyone can do whatever they want with the Redskins image.

So, the Washington D.C. NFL team will have a new nickname sooner, rather than later.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/us-patent-office-cancels-redskins-trademark-registration-says-name-is-disparaging/2014/06/18/e7737bb8-f6ee-11e3-8aa9-dad2ec039789_story.html[/URL]
This post was edited on 6/18 9:42 AM by Scott O.

Political correctness is getting a little out of hand these days.

I hope this issue doesn't become like steroids in MLB where Congress thought they needed to intervene. Much bigger issues to deal with than a nickname and logo, IMO.

I wouldn't call it "political correctness" - it's bad public relations to keep the Redskins name. I'm glad they did this. Would you be okay with a team called the Washington "N-words"? Washington "Kykes" or "Slant-eyes". All those terms are derogatory and "Redskins" is as bad as the others.
redskin |ˈredˌskin|noun dated, offensivean American Indian.

Originally posted by SausagePatty:
I wouldn't call it "political correctness" - it's bad public relations to keep the Redskins name. I'm glad they did this. Would you be okay with a team called the Washington "N-words"? Washington "Kykes" or "Slant-eyes". All those terms are derogatory and "Redskins" is as bad as the others.
if those examples are all equivalents, why did you abbreviate 1 and not the others?

Because I don't know abbreviations for Kyke and Slant-eye. I'm open to suggestions, though...

It is political correctness running rampant. The team has been the Washington Redskins since 1937. Only in today's politically correct world where everyone is offended has it become a problem.

I am both Cherokee and Choctaw Indian and proud of it. I definately have a low tolerance for Fire-water. I am not offended by the name. So, unless you are descended from native Americans you should consider being offended elsewhere.

Dan Snyder can call his organization whatever he likes, it's a free country. But Redskin is an offensive name and he should change it. It's not political correctness, it's being considerate of other people. Tradition is also a poor excuse to continue to do something.

So if it is patently offensive and even the dictionary says it is, that's merely politically incorrect in your book? Again, I ask you - would you have a team named the Washington N-words? That wouldn't be offensive? What's the difference?

I'm not a negro but I'm offended by the N-word. I am not Native American but in my person opinion "redskins" is offensive.

Of course you wouldn't. Political correctness has become a negative term and it would be "bad public relations" for you to call it that. Thank goodness we have a bunch of liberal white folks out there to tell everybody when they should be offended and what would be OK to say instead. We're becoming a country of entitled, whiney, pansies.

7777 - sometimes your posts make sense. Who are these "liberal white folks" of whom you speak? I'm not telling anyone what should offend them or not. I said it offends me, and the dictionary agrees. "Political correctness" is a negative term because it has been so misused and overly used as a catch-phrase for anything someone doesn't like. Feel free to keep saying Redskins, N-words and whatever else you have in your vocabulary. It is more a reflection on you than it is anything else.

People are too sensative these days. I respect you SausagePatty but people have to lighten up. It is ok to be offended and to be offensive at times. Don't misunderstand me I don't use and would never use the terms that you referenced like the N-word as you called it. I do think in America we are too worried about hurting someones feelings.

I am an equal opportunity offender. If I haven't offended someone yet, then don't worry I'll get around to ya-jk.

Seriously just too much political correctness
This post was edited on 6/18 10:41 AM by magtownhog

Magtown - essentially I agree with you. People are too sensitive. My point was merely to how the contradiction that most people who accept "Redskins" don't use other derogatory terms such as the N-word. So why is it okay to defend "redskin" when you wouldn't defend those other words? What's the difference? I'm the last person to be accused of being "politically correct."

The gov't needs to worry about real things, like paying down the debt and taking care of this country. If the man wants to call his team the Redskins, so be it- if fans don't like it don't watch.., don't support. If the support dries up- then he and only he,should do something about it. Another example of big brother telling us what is best for us.

I'm not a negro but I'm offended by the N-word. I am not Native American but in my person opinion "redskins" is offensive.
Well, I'm not a black man (I'm Indian/Irish) so I really don't feel comfortable on speaking about things that might or might not offend them. That's up to them or any other ethnicity for that matter. I certainly don't go around telling people what they should and should not be offended by, but that is just me. It's fine with me if you are offended by Redskin, it was a free country.

To me it's a little over the line. I see nothing wrong with Warriors, Braves, Seminoles, etc. But Washington's nickname does seem derogatory.

Originally posted by T Mc:
The gov't needs to worry about real things, like paying down the debt and taking care of this country. If the man wants to call his team the Redskins, so be it- if fans don't like it don't watch.., don't support. If the support dries up- then he and only he,should do something about it. Another example of big brother telling us what is best for us.
It's the patent office doing their job, not exactly big brother. Big brother is limiting abortion access based on some people's religious belief or spying on the entire country for our security.

As the article states, they got a favorable ruling in 2009 and the team and NFL appealed and won. No reason to think this will play out any differently. Lots of money and horsepower on that side of the lawsuit.

Would you call a Native American a Redskin to their face? (I'm assuming your answer is no... if it's anything other than no, then there are clearly other problems here). Then why in the world would it be ok to name a professional sports team the Redskins? It's not about political correctness. It's about being considerate enough to not use language that is offensive and disparaging to an entire race of people. I get that political correctness sometimes goes overboard, which we do need to guard against, but if the language is clearly offensive and is the actual name of a major professional sports team... well I guess that means political correctness does have it's place (e.g., you wouldn't use the N-word or other hurtful language as a blanker descriptor to describe large swaths of people, right?).

Originally posted by aruss1:
As the article states, they got a favorable ruling in 2009 and the team and NFL appealed and won. No reason to think this will play out any differently. Lots of money and horsepower on that side of the lawsuit.
Good point, hopefully they don't win it this time.

Originally posted by Mayday'90:
Would you call a Native American a Redskin to their face? (I'm assuming your answer is no... if it's anything other than no, then there are clearly other problems here).
No. But to be honest, I wouldn't call them a Chief or a Brave, either.

Magtown - essentially I agree with you. People are too sensitive. My point was merely to how the contradiction that most people who accept "Redskins" don't use other derogatory terms such as the N-word. So why is it okay to defend "redskin" when you wouldn't defend those other words? What's the difference? I'm the last person to be accused of being "politically correct."
I understand your point. This is where I think the difference is, When people use terms like the N-word or Wetback it is usually meant to be derogatory and said in a spirit of hatred ( BTW my last name is Garcia and yes my grandfather was mexican ). In certain context the term redskin could be used that way, but I don't think it is being used that way with this team. It is not being flaunted as a means of beating down on Native Americans.

Take the Florida State Seminoles for example. The Seminole tribe of Florida defended the university and their use of the term Seminoles.

I think the common sense of it is ---which spirit is the term being used in.

I guess also my question is there a large outcry from native americans to have the name removed from the team?

Originally posted by Chauvinist Pig:

I am both Cherokee and Choctaw Indian and proud of it. I definately have a low tolerance for Fire-water. I am not offended by the name. So, unless you are descended from native Americans you should consider being offended elsewhere.
great perspective

also- in my 39 years i've never heard someone be called a redskin. other than the football team. i've definitely heard the other words mentioned above.

I just read a report that, when polled, 90% of Native Americans are not offended by the term "Redskin". I'd guess many more black people are offended by the N-word.

But, do we change policies and team names for the 10% that are offended? I honestly don't know. I ususally side with the anti-PC crowd. But, I can see both sides in this case.

Originally posted by mikedamone:

Originally posted by Mayday'90:
Would you call a Native American a Redskin to their face? (I'm assuming your answer is no... if it's anything other than no, then there are clearly other problems here).
No. But to be honest, I wouldn't call them a Chief or a Brave, either.
I laughed

Funny thing is, who would ever give their team a derogatory name? Do we actually think all of those fans cheering for the Redskins, and buying all kinds of paraphernalia with a Redskin logo on it, do so out of hate or to berate American Indians. The folks who named this team the Redskins evidently meant it as something to be proud of. Unless a bunch of Native Indian tribes are up in arms and calling it demeaning, who the hell are a bunch liberal white guys and gals to tell American Indians what should upset them. This is nothing more than a bunch of liberals trying to tell the rest of the world what's good for them, as they all think they are the only ones who have the sense to know what is, and what isn't, good for everyone else. I believe the Florida State Seminoles were forced to fight this same battle a few years ago, and the Seminole Nation considered it a matter of pride to have a team named after them, and let it be known. We still have the Florida State Seminoles. This is absolutely nothing but political correctness run amuck. Cleveland Indian fans better prepare their self and while we're at it, I'm sure their are those of Spartan decent out there somewhere just waiting for some liberal ass gang to tell them that Michigan State needs to change it's name. Goes right along with all political correctness, which is nothing more than liberals telling the rest of us what words we're allowed to use and which we aren't. Hence we must call illegal immigrants undocumented workers, terrorists being held at Gizmo must be called political detainees, homosexuals must be called gays, short people must be called vertically challenged, and on and on. Even have liberals going through great American novels and removing any word, or saying, they find offensive. This is done without the knowledge or permission of the author, which in itself should be illegal. Of course liberals have NO problem with using terms or words that are demeaning to those who have a different political philosophy than they do, hence the terms religious fanatics, homophobes, racists, filthy rich, etc., in other words it's fine to berate or label someone with a demeaning term, whether true or not, if they disagree with your political agenda. Is this a great country or what?

Okay, so it's all just a huge liberal conspiracy. Got it. BTW, get your facts right - the Seminole Tribe requested FSU keep Seminole as its mascot. They are very proud their of their team name.

Where is "Gizmo?"

People please stop watching Fox News. It's turned a good chunk of the electorate into foil hat wearers who think there's liberal media conspiracies.

7777 is right on. It's a damn joke that people get their feathers ruffled over this. I grew up my whole life thinking Redskins was a cool mascot and never once thought it was in any way derogatory.

And it's absolutely political correctness. To me it's an honor to have a team use you as a mascot. I'm still baffled that Arkansas State had to change their mascot from Indians. Are you kidding me? Are there an native Indians really offended that a school used Indians as a mascot? I don't see how that's anything but an honor.

Should Cowboys be offended?
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Originally posted by Lolly Hog:
Interesting article on the history of the term "redskins."
Is there a Cliffs Notes version? I felt like I was back in 6th grade Social Studies reading that.

Cliff notes is, it's not offensive. Redskin used to be a term that Indians referred to themselves as to distinguis from the white man. Only offensive because of ridiculous political correctness.

Most of those that support that Redskins is offensive still believe in Hope and Change.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

7777 - sometimes your posts make sense. Who are these "liberal white folks" of whom you speak? I'm not telling anyone what should offend them or not. I said it offends me, and the dictionary agrees. "Political correctness" is a negative term because it has been so misused and overly used as a catch-phrase for anything someone doesn't like. Feel free to keep saying Redskins, N-words and whatever else you have in your vocabulary. It is more a reflection on you than it is anything else.
Who are they? Hollywood is full of them, the democratic party is full of them, NPR is full of them, every "rights" group you can name is dotted with them.

Fact is, SOMEBODY in this world is offended by everything. Say God bless you to an atheist and he is offended. Say I love America to most of the world and they are offended. The list is virtually endless. The only way it will ever be possible to stamp out offensive talk is for everybody to never speak or make any kind of gesture ever again. Except that would offend somebody too.

Truth is, anybody else's words are only as offensive as you allow them to be. In the 80's I got to playing basketball in Houston on a playground near my apartment. Often I was the only white guy out there. They called me Larry Bird or Opie most of the time. I got the inference and thought it was kind of funny. They were teasing me for being a white guy playing BB with a bunch of black guys. BTW, that is exactly what I was. The Redskins have been around since before most of us were alive but it has only recently become fashionable for anybody to be offended by it. That is an invention of political correctness and it is a never ending thing b/c like I said, everybody is offended by something. Ridiculous.

And if feeling this way is a reflection of who I am, that's fine with me.

Originally posted by RavishingRick:
Political correctness is getting a little out of hand these days.

I hope this issue doesn't become like steroids in MLB where Congress thought they needed to intervene. Much bigger issues to deal with than a nickname and logo, IMO.
This isn't political correctness. If people get up in arms about a team calling themselves the Seminoles or the like, that is a bit dramatic. There's nothing racist about naming a team after a group of people who call themselves Seminoles and represents what is special about an area. But Redskins is a term made up by another racial group to describe another, and I can see why that would bother/anger Native Americans. It's not about political correctness in this case.

Nobody intervened. The US Patent Office declined their patent because they viewed it as derogatory. There are also newspapers that will not print the name of the team due to their belief that it's derogatory. I'm sure it wasn't meant to be derogatory in the first place, but there are people in the 1950s who didn't think the N-word was derogatory, either.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT