ADVERTISEMENT

POLL: Wet/Dry Vote

hawgfan620

Signee
Aug 4, 2009
I am curious what the boards opinions are for Dry counties becoming Wet. Faulkner County recently started gathering signatures to get the Wet/Dry issue on the ballot and I thought it would be interesting to get the boards take.

I don't drink...but people are going to find alcohol no matter what. All it really does is keep nice restaurants out of many areas that don't allow alcohol sales...and makes people drive to get their fix...then drive back home while drinking, like we did in college at UAM (a dry township at the time).

Originally posted by titanhawg:
I don't drink...but people are going to find alcohol no matter what. All it really does is keep nice restaurants out of many areas that don't allow alcohol sales...and makes people drive to get their fix...then drive back home while drinking, like we did in college at UAM (a dry township at the time).
I agree with you, titan. If people want to drink, they will find a way to do so. I've missed you! I'm glad you're back. :)

I've never been much for legislating morals. Just too many differing opinions everyone sins, in someone else's mind

Dry counties deny people their pursuit of happiness.
Posted from wireless.rivals.com[/URL]

Adults that don't want to drink don't have to just because they live in a wet county, but they shouldn't have the right to tell other adults that they can't. Same goes for drugs, X rated movies, or whatever your "pursuit of happiness is". No one should have the right to tell you what you can, and cannot, do to you, Including the government.

The only reason there are dry counties are because people invested a ton of money into county line liquor license. .. would rather have a drunk drive 1 miles than twenty to get more booze
Posted from Rivals Mobile

You stated it far better than I. You should be able to zone for anything.
Originally posted by pokerpig:

Adults that don't want to drink don't have to just because they live in a wet county, but they shouldn't have the right to tell other adults that they can't. Same goes for drugs, X rated movies, or whatever your "pursuit of happiness is". No one should have the right to tell you what you can, and cannot, do to you, Including the government.

Well, to a certain extent guys. The government should be able to punish to the full extent when the extremes are reached in a lot of those areas.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Originally posted by Pigasus22:
I agree with you, titan. If people want to drink, they will find a way to do so. I've missed you! I'm glad you're back. :)
Just hasn't been much to talk about lately!
smile.r191677.gif

smile.r191677.gif
I thought you were a female Titan?
wink.r191677.gif

Dry counties are archaic. Candidly, I want Arkansas to legalize marijuana. Not because I want to smoke it, but because I want Arkansas to get out ahead of something and reap some of the benefits of doing so. I don't want us to be the last "dry" counties on that issue.
Posted from wireless.rivals.com[/URL]

Originally posted by RazorbackDundee:

smile.r191677.gif
I thought you were a female Titan?
shock.r191677.gif

Wet/dry counties is one of the stupidest things I have ever seen, Anybody who wants to drink will drink if they have gotta drive 50 miles to a wet county or another state that is what they will do

Legalize medical marijuana

I wonder if the restaurants in Searcy will serve alcohol before I die. Probably not.

Dry counties are dry only due to religious influences at the time. Religion should have nothing to do with legislation!

It's really hard for me to grasp the idea of dry counties. It's really a terrible idea. It actually causes more drunk driving because people have to go out of the county to buy alcohol or drive to a restaurant that serves. Why do you think they set up checkpoints in dry counties all the time (see Saline county)? It's really ridiculous and Arkansas needs to actually get into the 21st century at some point.

I live in Faulkner county, and will vote to keep the county dry, in a manner of speaking. There are over 30 restaurants in Faulkner county that currenty serve alcohol, so no county citizen is denied the opportunity to consume alcohol here.

The vote to make the county wet or dry will be determined by the residents of the county, as it should be. A simple
majority of votes make that determination. That is, and always will be, a fair and democratic way to provide resolutions
to issues concerning US citizens.

I don't care if it seems archaic or unfair. I do see it as the best choice for the citizenry of Faulkner county based
on the facts of both sides of the issue. No one is being denied due process or their Constitutional rights. No one
is being told they cannot consume alcohol. The citizens wish to retain the rights to determine if alcohol can be
sold in forms within the county limits.

We have good communities in Faulkner county, and yes, there is a strong religious presence here, and I don't find
it to be detrimental at all. Conway is the fastest growing community in the state, this issue, increasing crime, and
highway construction and congestion are clear evidence of that.

I feel blessed to call Faulkner county my home. I live halfway between Conway and Vilonia and it is where we raised
our children. There will continue to be explosive growth in this area for the next 15-20 years. I don't think we need
to be a 'wet' county to facilitate or accentuate that growth. Nor has White, Lonoke, and Saline counties.

I say, let the citizens decide the direction they want to go, and grow.
JMHO.

Originally posted by UTRIP UMP:
I live in Faulkner county, and will vote to keep the county dry, in a manner of speaking. There are over 30 restaurants in Faulkner county that currenty serve alcohol, so no county citizen is denied the opportunity to consume alcohol here.

The vote to make the county wet or dry will be determined by the residents of the county, as it should be. A simple
majority of votes make that determination. That is, and always will be, a fair and democratic way to provide resolutions

I don't care if it seems archaic or unfair. I do see it as the best choice for the citizenry of Faulkner county based
on the facts of both sides of the issue. No one is being denied due process or their Constitutional rights. No one
is being told they cannot consume alcohol. The citizens wish to retain the rights to determine if alcohol can be

We have good communities in Faulkner county, and yes, there is a strong religious presence here, and I don't find
it to be detrimental at all. Conway is the fastest growing community in the state, this issue, increasing crime, and

I feel blessed to call Faulkner county my home. I live halfway between Conway and Vilonia and it is where we raised
our children. There will continue to be explosive growth in this area for the next 15-20 years. I don't think we need
to be a 'wet' county to facilitate or accentuate that growth. Nor has White, Lonoke, and Saline counties.

JMHO.
Utrip, I grew up in Conway as well and I have heard this argument and reasoning, as to why Faulkner County needs to stay dry, all of my life. A few years ago, when liquor was introduced into restaurants, I heard this same reasoning. And, today, despite it being in restaurants now for aprox 10 years, Conway is the fastest growing community in the state. It no more caused crime or increased alcohol related driving incidents than it did before it was allowed. If the those numbers have increased, it could just as easily, and probably more logically, be because of population growth instead of the same population base drinking and driving drunk just because they serve it in a restaurant now. I have never understood the analogy that Conway would turn into Detroit if alcohol was introduced here, although, that's been the scare tactic of the "dry" crowd. The reality is, you're making the argument for them and frankly, it offends me to think that you are telling me that I can not or will not be responsible with it if it becomes available.

Originally posted by pigboy7:

Originally posted by UTRIP UMP:

JMHO.
Utrip, I grew up in Conway as well and I have heard this argument and reasoning, as to why Faulkner County needs to stay dry, all of my life. A few years ago, when liquor was introduced into restaurants, I heard this same reasoning. And, today, despite it being in restaurants now for aprox 10 years, Conway is the fastest growing community in the state. It no more caused crime or increased alcohol related driving incidents than it did before it was allowed. If the those numbers have increased, it could just as easily, and probably more logically, be because of population growth instead of the same population base drinking and driving drunk just because they serve it in a restaurant now. I have never understood the analogy that Conway would turn into Detroit if alcohol was introduced here, although, that's been the scare tactic of the "dry" crowd. The reality is, you're making the argument for them and frankly, it offends me to think that you are telling me that I can not or will not be responsible with it if it becomes available.
You obviously misread or purposely chose to incorrectly interpret what I stated. One, I never stated or insinuated that
the incremental increased crime rates in Conway/Faulkner county was alcohol-related. In fact, it was clearly stated
that any increase in crime was related to the population growth.

Two, I never made any correlation between Conway and Detroit. Again, you chosen to argue a nonexistant point.
I'm sure there are innumerable issues that explain the state that the city of Detroit finds itself in.

Three, I didn't post my opinions and thoughts as 'scare tactics' and they certainly were not presented in such
manner. Perhaps your inability to provide applicable response is indicative of your state of mind and respect to
others with different viewpoints.

Four, I never told you that you cannot or will not do anything.

And Five, if you are offended by the democratic processes of majority rule, there is nothing I can do about that. I live and
breath under the freedoms allowed by the democratic processes of majority vote and enjoy the liberties provided
by those processes.

There are many things I find offensive as well. I live happy and peacefully with the knowledge that there are things
beyond my control and to worry about the things that I can control.
This post was edited on 6/11 2:37 PM by UTRIP UMP

Utrip, first of all we don't live in a Democracy, we live in a Republic. I have no idea where you get that majority rules, but let me bring to your attention the fact that 75% of voters in Arkansas voted against homosexual marriage, that got overturned and is being overturned in state after state. Majority clearly does NOT rule. So you believe that you have the right to prevent me from my pursuit of happiness, whatever that may be, even if it doesn't effect you in any way, simply because your gang is bigger than mine?

I live in Conway and will be voting for it to go wet. Tired of restaurants jacking up the prices for drinks. My 19th hole tab needs all the help it can get.

Utrip, first of all we don't live in a Democracy, we live in a Republic. I have no idea where you get that majority rules, but let me bring to your attention the fact that 75% of voters in Arkansas voted against homosexual marriage, that got overturned and is being overturned in state after state. Majority clearly does NOT rule. So you believe that you have the right to prevent me from my pursuit of happiness, whatever that may be, even if it doesn't effect you in any way, simply because your gang is bigger than mine?
I thought I outlined my opinion clearly. If the majority of the eligible voters who cast ballots do so in Faulkner county to
retain the county status as 'dry', then it will remain so. Having Faulkner county remain a 'dry' county doesn't effect
your pursuit of happiness at all. You can still consume and possess alcohol in Faulkner county. There are many
things that I cannot purchase in Faulkner county. My happiness, and pursuit thereof, is not based on the power of
purchase.

I have the right in this country to vote my beliefs, as do you. Look it up. It's in the book.

You cannot purchase legally uranium, sexual acts, murder for hire, ingredients in large quantities to make explosives or certain illegal substances, human beings, heroin, LSD, etc, among thousands of things, in Arkansas. If hiring people to murder others fell within your 'pursuit of happiness', then I would not be in favor of Faulkner county allowing that either.

And, the size of gangs, sometimes, not always, is a significant factor in battles.

And, to follow board rules, I'm moving this to the GB since it is basically a political/religious subject, depending on the poster

One, I never stated or insinuated that
the incremental increased crime rates in Conway/Faulkner county was alcohol-related. In fact, it was clearly stated
that any increase in crime was related to the population growth. ----as I said, I have lived here for a long time, have heard this argument over and over, and it is clear to me what one means when they side on the "dry" side of the vote.

Two, I never made any correlation between Conway and Detroit. Again, you chosen to argue a nonexistant point.
I'm sure there are innumerable issues that explain the state that the city of Detroit finds itself in.------you are right, you did not say Detroit, although, I did say I was using an analogy. Actually, I was being nice to a southern city in Arkansas that I have heard used in this very argument; being Pine Bluff. If you have lived in this area as long as I have, then you knew exactly what I meant when I used the analogy of Conway turning into a Detroit, if alcohol were sold there.

Three, I didn't post my opinions and thoughts as 'scare tactics' and they certainly were not presented in such
manner. Perhaps your inability to provide applicable response is indicative of your state of mind and respect to
others with different viewpoints. ------again, refer to point one, if you are against it, then you are well aware of the tactics that have been used in opposition over the years.

Four, I never told you that you cannot or will not do anything.-----and I didn't say I couldn't have a drink with my meal. I said, It should be my choice and if I do and I am more than capable of being responsible with it.

And Five, if you are offended by the democratic processes of majority rule, there is nothing I can do about that. I live and
breath under the freedoms allowed by the democratic processes of majority vote and enjoy the liberties provided
by those processes.----never said anything about the democratic process being offensive. I actually enjoyed that part of your post. Again, refer to point one, this is not a new issue in Faulkner County and you are obviously too smart to be naive to what I meant by "scare tactics". I didn't say your scare tactics, I included you in with the opposition crowd, as a whole, because you are opposed to the issue and they most definitely have been used over the years or as a reason to not make Faulkner County wet.

There are many things I find offensive as well. I live happy and peacefully with the knowledge that there are things
beyond my control and to worry about the things that I can control. ---- I do likewise, Utrip.

I believe I clearly stated that as long as it doesn't effect you, or anyone else but me, I should be able to do what I want to do to me. I think murder for hire, or purchasing another human being against their will, would for sure fall within the parameters of effecting someone else. As far as shooting heroin, dropping LSD, snorting coke, drinking alcohol, smoking pot, or doing anything else to ones self, whether I agree with it or not, it should not be left up to me to make those decisions for another adult. Kinda funny that the government has decreed that a woman can have an abortion "because it's her body" and the government shouldn't be able to tell her what she can do with it, or to it, even though it certainly has an effect on another person. However, that same woman is not allowed to sell her body for consensual sex, because the government, or other people don't approve. Go figure.

I believe I clearly stated that as long as it doesn't effect you, or anyone else but me,
No, that is not what you originally stated, so it wasn't clear. Also, you choose to decide whether or not what you
do 'to one's self' affects others. Clearly and historically, broadly and specifically, that doesn't hold water. Cause and effect
is much more than the single ripple. Choices have consequences, implications, repercussions. Again, no one
forces you to accept societal rules, law, and mores. You have free will, with resultants. Undeniably true and factual.

What other people do is not a decision you make. They make those decisions, again with resultants.

Me voting for a dry Faulkner county does not prevent the decisions or choices you make.

ADVERTISEMENT