ADVERTISEMENT

When people talk about being Politically Correct

A

anon_j0hjgb7us6s1a

it has the word Politics in it but it has come to stand for a wide variety of things and it could be said that it has seeped over into sports.

I think when people bring up the situation where 'all kids will get a trophy' you can see some folks say it is hurtful if you don't get an award for coming in 8th place in a 8 person race while others say "That is life kid, get use to it"

Where I am going with this is.......I remember when big schools would give out 70-80-90 football scholarships a year and basketball could have at least 15 on scholarship.

The NCAA decided that was not fair so they punished the big schools to help the smaller schools. Many kids that would have signed with a Texas will now go to a SMU or Houston because they could not get one of the 25 Texas offered. This helped the smaller schools and helped a lot of kids get to start instead of sitting on the bench of a big school.

Now the Big schools still win most of the games so it did not stop that and it gave the smaller schools much better teams (and the Big teams like to have smaller teams to beat up on) but was it sort of a PC thing to punish the bigger schools for their success? Did it take away a kids choice if he wanted to take the big school offer even knowing he might have an extra hard time getting much playing time?

Just a strange thought but I would like to hear some of your thoughts on that big change. It has both hurt and helped the Razorbacks

I guess that is why the pro teams give top draft picks to the bad teams. Seriously

If there is one area this country will throw PC out for something it would be sports. This transgender bathroom stuff sounds progressive and cool to jump on but the moment a guy(claiming he is a girl) tries out for the girls basketball team you will see all of this"he picks who he wants to be" stuff get thrown out.

Money and entertainment trump all in this country, and sports bring money and entertainment so they are real close to the top of people's priorities.

To the original post, I don't see what you describe as "political correctness". It's just an attempt to create a level playing field, or maybe I should say level playing fields.

There are still tiers of football program. It used to be Div 1, Div 2, and Div 3. Now Div 1 is subdivided into FBS and FCS. I think however many tiers you use, you have to create some degree of fairness or teams (and fans) that can't come close to competing lose interest, which hurts the sport overall.

Take a look at MLB vs the NFL. They are run with very different philosophies. The NFL uses revenue sharing from TV deals and salary caps, in an attempt to create parity. By contrast, MLB historically allowed owners of individual clubs to cut their own TV deals and spend what they want. That created a situation where a few teams could outspend the majority, and smaller clubs have difficulty competing. It's not impossible, but it's nearly impossible, for a team like Tampa Bay to compete year over year with the Yankees and Red Sox.

So 2 different models, and look at how interest in the sport has changed. Baseball is dying, and the NFL is the most successful sports league in the world.

To the original post, I don't see what you describe as "political correctness". It's just an attempt to create a level playing field, or maybe I should say level playing fields.

There are still tiers of football program. It used to be Div 1, Div 2, and Div 3. Now Div 1 is subdivided into FBS and FCS. I think however many tiers you use, you have to create some degree of fairness or teams (and fans) that can't come close to competing lose interest, which hurts the sport overall.

Take a look at MLB vs the NFL. They are run with very different philosophies. The NFL uses revenue sharing from TV deals and salary caps, in an attempt to create parity. By contrast, MLB historically allowed owners of individual clubs to cut their own TV deals and spend what they want. That created a situation where a few teams could outspend the majority, and smaller clubs have difficulty competing. It's not impossible, but it's nearly impossible, for a team like Tampa Bay to compete year over year with the Yankees and Red Sox.

So 2 different models, and look at how interest in the sport has changed. Baseball is dying, and the NFL is the most successful sports league in the world.

Baseball is not dying, it very well may be as strong as its ever been. But I do like the NFL way of doing things. Major League baseball is like college football. You have a few teams that have more talent than the rest and they win it most of time. You will have a team sneak in and win it every now and again but sustaining is nearly impossible. Arkansas in college football is like the Brewers or Tampa in baseball.

Reactions: Paul Loyd

I agree with most of your post, but take issue with your "baseball is dying" comment. There are large crowds at all but a few baseball parks every day.

"To the original post, I don't see what you describe as "political correctness". It's just an attempt to create a level playing field, or maybe I should say level playing fields."

To me, you kind of answered the question yourself.
To me, it is a bit PC to say "Well, we must take from the haves and give to the have nots"

They said Arkansas can afford many many more scholarships than a team like Arkansas St so we should limit the number of scholarships they give so ASU can get some kids that Arkansas used to take before they had the 25 limit.

I understand because UCLA would have so many great basketball players on the bench that it was said their bench might be the second best team in the country

Anyway, it just seemed that you could say it was a PC move to even things out......much as the way things are in society where everyone needs a ribbon

Political correctness is bullying people into your beliefs through government coercion. Or at least muzzling you in your beliefs. A usurpation of freedom of speech and thought.
People attempt to construe PC into all aspects of life. But I don't see any connection to sports

well the mass of small schools ruled over the big bad boys of college sports.

Most here are too young to ever remember when you could sign more than 25 so it is hard for them to relate to losing something they never had,

There has always been fan talk of the big schools pulling out of the NCAA and doing what they want without the little schools out voting them.

Oh we'll always have free speech, you'll just be punished for it if it doesn't fit the liberal political agenda.

WELL!!! That was racist, biased, hurtful, hateful, "fill in the blank" phobic (to include multiple kinds of phobias too numerous to mention), ignorant, and did I mention racist.

it has the word Politics in it but it has come to stand for a wide variety of things and it could be said that it has seeped over into sports.

I think when people bring up the situation where 'all kids will get a trophy' you can see some folks say it is hurtful if you don't get an award for coming in 8th place in a 8 person race while others say "That is life kid, get use to it"

Where I am going with this is.......I remember when big schools would give out 70-80-90 football scholarships a year and basketball could have at least 15 on scholarship.

The NCAA decided that was not fair so they punished the big schools to help the smaller schools. Many kids that would have signed with a Texas will now go to a SMU or Houston because they could not get one of the 25 Texas offered. This helped the smaller schools and helped a lot of kids get to start instead of sitting on the bench of a big school.

Now the Big schools still win most of the games so it did not stop that and it gave the smaller schools much better teams (and the Big teams like to have smaller teams to beat up on) but was it sort of a PC thing to punish the bigger schools for their success? Did it take away a kids choice if he wanted to take the big school offer even knowing he might have an extra hard time getting much playing time?

Just a strange thought but I would like to hear some of your thoughts on that big change. It has both hurt and helped the Razorbacks
Title nine also had something to do with the reductionin numbers.

WELL!!! That was racist, biased, hurtful, hateful, "fill in the blank" phobic (to include multiple kinds of phobias too numerous to mention), ignorant, and did I mention racist.
Thanks for proving my point.

Just followed the government example if a guy makes good decisions, works hard and manages well you must take away from them and give to those who didn't.

Just followed the government example if a guy makes good decisions, works hard and manages well you must take away from them and give to those who didn't.
Of course, it's how democrats get votes. Just convince a group of un-educated, lazy, incompetant dead beats, that everything bad in their life is the direct result of them being victims of successful people. Funny thing is most of those folks pay NO taxes, but parrot the democratic mantra that those who pay 30% to 90% of their hard earned money, to care for those same perceived victims aren't paying their "fair share". Would love to hear someone, anyone, ask miss hillary, or any democrat for that matter, what our fair share should be. Betting they'd never get an answer. As much as democrats want to talk about a level playing field, what's level or fair about ANY citizen of this country paying more for the same constitutional rights and freedoms than anybody else for those same rights?

Of course, it's how democrats get votes. Just convince a group of un-educated, lazy, incompetant dead beats, that everything bad in their life is the direct result of them being victims of successful people. Funny thing is most of those folks pay NO taxes, but parrot the democratic mantra that those who pay 30% to 90% of their hard earned money, to care for those same perceived victims aren't paying their "fair share". Would love to hear someone, anyone, ask miss hillary, or any democrat for that matter, what our fair share should be. Betting they'd never get an answer. As much as democrats want to talk about a level playing field, what's level or fair about ANY citizen of this country paying more for the same constitutional rights and freedoms than anybody else for those same rights?
Why go political on us all at once? Every time I've said anything about politics, I've been deleted. I wonder how long yours will endure???

Why go political on us all at once? Every time I've said anything about politics, I've been deleted. I wonder how long yours will endure???
I thought the Grim Bottom was for politics and other subjects that aren't allowed on the Razors Edge. And the thread was about political correctness, hard to discuss that without "going political".

I don't think the purpose of reducing scholarships was to produce parity. That was a side effect

The purpose was to cut expenses

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT