ADVERTISEMENT

OT 100% NOT the Official Off-Topic/Politics/Corona Thread

Get with the times, old man. We been on this wave for a bit.

image;s=850x0

*girl not included with purchase.. found that out the hard way on Amazon*
4 AAA batteries...

My thoughts are that it was a Dumb@$$ statement and a lie. I hope this gives you consolation you seek. Lol

Point is you're triggered because I poked fun at POTUS. For statements made in February, March, April, May, etc.... you're legit grandstanding right now. Which is odd seeing as your whole schtick is to poke fun at people.

What the hell are you talking about?

I feel like that’s what it was too which is shitty but the shortage was nuts and the healthcare workers definitely needed them more at that time when hardly anyone (in most states) had the virus (that we knew of). We know masks work. In Asian countries where putting on a mask is second nature they have the virus quite under control.
So you admit that sometimes you have to make decisions (like lying about masks) that allow for a certain number of deaths in order to promote the greater good.

Reactions: jtuck33
The Stanford docs have been on point about this hoax https://apple.news/AD1DSlegmRW6cwoP5rV-Bag.

Scott Atlas, former chief of neuroradiology at Stanford University Medical Center and a senior fellow at Stanford’s Hoover Institution, said Monday that for people under 70, the death rate from COVID-19 is lower than or equal to the seasonal flu.

So ya, it’s the ****ing flu morons!

The Stanford docs have been on point about this hoax https://apple.news/AD1DSlegmRW6cwoP5rV-Bag.

Scott Atlas, former chief of neuroradiology at Stanford University Medical Center and a senior fellow at Stanford’s Hoover Institution, said Monday that for people under 70, the death rate from COVID-19 is lower than or equal to the seasonal flu.

With more deaths attributed to covid than the flu, does this mean covid is more contagious or do you believe it is an inaccuracy in reporting?

For example, 2017-2018 South Carolina had 289 deaths attributed to the flu. A little over 100 the following year.

Currently we stand at over 800 due to covid.

Reactions: minnesotahog
COVID-19 deaths worldwide really needs to pick up the pace if this pandemic is to surpass total worldwide deaths from TB. 570k to 1.5M (typical annual average).

You could argue that COVID-19 is not even the top 10 of issues that our money and resources should be allocated to. Cancer, HIV, hunger, potable drinking water, TB, lung darts, DUI, drugs, processed foods. COVID-19 is down near the 320k drowning deaths worldwide.

COVID-19 deaths worldwide really needs to pick up the pace if this pandemic is to surpass total worldwide deaths from TB. 570k to 1.5M (typical annual average).

You could argue that COVID-19 is not even the top 10 of issues that our money and resources should be allocated to. Cancer, HIV, hunger, potable drinking water, TB, lung darts, DUI, drugs, processed foods. COVID-19 is down near the 320k drowning deaths worldwide.
0.0004166666% of the world has died from this pandemic

Reactions: BBHAWGS2

Now do the death rate for flu for people under 70.

(People 65 years and over account for 85% of flu deaths)

75% of the influenza deaths are 65 and older.

In California (one of the biggest data sets I could find with totals) 77% of their 6500 deaths are people 65 or older.

Edit: Wait, I found one from the middle of June:

19% of the COVID deaths in the US through June 18, 2020 were people 65 or younger.

75% of the influenza deaths are 65 and older.

In California (one of the biggest data sets I could find with totals) 77% of their 6500 deaths are people 65 or older.

Edit: Wait, I found one from the middle of June:

19% of the COVID deaths in the US through June 18, 2020 were people 65 or younger.
https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/2017-2018.htm

Soooo, if the COVID death rate for those younger than 65 is similar to the overall flu death rate, that means that it's significantly more deadly than the flu because the overall flu death rate is also inflated by deaths of those over 65 years of age.

giphy.gif

Aren't flu percentages guesstimates?
It's a statistical approximation with real data - I wouldn't call that a "guesstimate" but rather an acknowledgement of the difficulty in reporting deaths accurately. Flu deaths are usually reported in 95% confidence interval range to account for all the shortcomings we've discussed on the board for reporting COVID deaths. They're reported as the mean of those ranges.

It's a statistical approximation with real data - I wouldn't call that a "guesstimate" but rather an acknowledgement of the difficulty in reporting deaths accurately. Flu deaths are usually reported in 95% confidence interval range to account for all the shortcomings we've discussed on the board for reporting COVID deaths. They're reported as the mean of those ranges.

If you had to statistically approximate how many COVID deaths are really COVID deaths (not died in a car accident but tested positive for COVID) how many would you say?

If you had to statistically approximate how many COVID deaths are really COVID deaths (not died in a car accident but tested positive for COVID) how many would you say?
I’m guessing it would vary based on which political party was running things in that area.

Reactions: Doyle55731
Car accident and other whimsical scenarios: < .001%

ICU patient with multi-system organ failure that got exposed by an asymptomatic visitor or HCW or other more realistic scenarios? I don't know. Maybe 5%?

Reactions: jegreenwood
I’m guessing it would vary based on which political party was running things in that area.
Politics don't come into play when you're filling out a death certificate. It's mostly just random based on the clinician's impression that is caring for the patient on the day of death. This could be the first day the doctor is on service, but they're the one that makes the call as to COD. If it's a patient on hospice, it's likely that it's a hospice nurse that's completing the death certificate, and you have similar pitfalls there combined with a relative lack of education compared to a physician. That's why you get very unreliable data generally on deaths.

Politics don't come into play when you're filling out a death certificate. It's mostly just random based on the clinician's impression that is caring for the patient on the day of death. This could be the first day the doctor is on service, but they're the one that makes the call as to COD. If it's a patient on hospice, it's likely that it's a hospice nurse that's completing the death certificate, and you have similar pitfalls there combined with a relative lack of education compared to a physician. That's why you get very unreliable data generally on deaths.
So political party of whoever is writing the death certificate or maybe based on a hospital administrator looking for government money...

Problem is many deaths are attributed to Covid-19 by hospitals because of the guaranteed or higher reimbursement from the government. Literally any patient that dies due to anything like trauma, brain bleed, aortic dissection gets Covid tested even post mortem...if they test positive then bingo, another Covid death. I have seen this personally with the trauma deaths.

I've tried to say this numerous times. I don't know any doctors who have agendas when they fill out death certificates. I sure didn't and I filled out my fair share when I was a resident. You fill it out based on your best judgement of what killed the person. If they have chronic renal failure and they miss 2 weeks of dialysis and the come in unresponsive with electrolytes all out of whack it's obvious that their positive COVID test didn't kill them and I wouldn't list that as a cause of death. Now if they were too sick to get to dialysis because of COVID, then MAYBE you list that as a contributing factor (I probably wouldn't because that's speculation), but not as the cause of death.

Problem is many deaths are attributed to Covid-19 by hospitals because of the guaranteed or higher reimbursement from the government. Literally any patient that dies due to anything like trauma, brain bleed, aortic dissection gets Covid tested even post mortem...if they test positive then bingo, another Covid death. I have seen this personally with the trauma deaths.
Again, this may happen with initial reporting. I don't know personally, but I'll trust you on that. That's why the death certificate data is the kicker as opposed to any other form of reporting. No one but the pronouncing physician can touch that document. Not hospital administrators, CDC officials, nobody but that physician.

Reactions: RHS_Cyclone
With more deaths attributed to covid than the flu, does this mean covid is more contagious or do you believe it is an inaccuracy in reporting?

For example, 2017-2018 South Carolina had 289 deaths attributed to the flu. A little over 100 the following year.

Currently we stand at over 800 due to covid.
The Flu currently unfair has an unfair advantage, given that enough herd immunity has built up that they inject u with it to fight it. The only country sane enough to go with precedent to fight corona is Sweden. So right now, it’s a apples and oranges comparison.

(People 65 years and over account for 85% of flu deaths)
corona might be more deadly for people over 70 than the flu, but so is pneumonia. So here’s a thought, let’s keep the actual vulnerable lockdown and distancing? While the rest of us live our lives as normal (except Nikki?) But let’s not use common sense and precedent and keep everyone locked down forever, with distancing, to see if corona magically disappears. Cause the lockdown didn’t work the first time it was tried right...So double down..... Let’s lockdown the correct way this time Fauci and Birx......U fall for anything!

The Flu currently unfair has an unfair advantage, given that enough herd immunity has built up that they inject u with it to fight it. The only country sane enough to go with precedent to fight corona is Sweden. So right now, it’s a apples and oranges comparison.

corona might be more deadly for people over 70 than the flu, but so is pneumonia. So here’s a thought, let’s keep the actual vulnerable lockdown and distancing? While the rest of us live our lives as normal (except Nikki?) But let’s not use common sense and precedent and keep everyone locked down forever, with distancing, to see if corona magically disappears. Cause the lockdown worked the first time it was tried right...So double down..... U fall for anything!
How do the actual vulnerable get food and other essentials?

So political party of whoever is writing the death certificate or maybe based on a hospital administrator looking for government money...
You clearly don't know many doctors well. First - most of the ones that work in a hospital environment 100% resent money-saving measures and hospital administrators in general. Second - I know a lot of liberal physicians, but I don't know any of them that would be willing to forge an official document for arbitrary political gain.

corona might be more deadly for people over 70 than the flu, but so is pneumonia. So here’s a thought, let’s keep the actual vulnerable lockdown and distancing? While the rest of us live our lives as normal (except Nikki?) But let’s not use common sense and precedent and keep everyone locked down forever, with distancing, to see if corona magically disappears. Cause the lockdown worked the first time it was tried right...So double down..... U fall for anything!
But Sweden's death rate per capita is significantly higher than ours and significantly higher than other Scandinavian countries. 40 percent more deaths per capita than us, 12x more than Norway, 7x more than Finland and 6x more than Denmark. And despite their decision to lock down, their economy still suffered about the same as it's neighbors who locked down. 4.5% contraction in the economy and an increase in unemployment.

Reactions: hogtoad
Yeah that is kind of my line of thinking too. Which is why I was surprised you made the comparison.
*critical thinking*

How do the actual vulnerable get food and other essentials?
Turbo, stop trolling. We’re smart enough to figure out simple shit like this. Me and u could start a food service for the vulnerable and bill Medicaid. Will be set!

But Sweden's death rate per capita is significantly higher than ours and significantly higher than other Scandinavian countries. 40 percent more deaths per capita than us, 12x more than Norway, 7x more than Finland and 6x more than Denmark. And despite their decision to lock down, their economy still suffered about the same as it's neighbors who locked down. 4.5% contraction in the economy and an increase in unemployment.
I got news for ya buddy, people are going to die from pandemics. How did America survive the Spanish Flu without a lockdown? https://www.cnbc.com/2020/05/29/coronavirus-swedens-gdp-actually-grew-in-the-first-quarter.html. And given the fact we live in a world economy, I’m surprised it grew.

To ur other point about deaths in the other Scan countries, what u think gonna happen when they open up? U don’t think the deaths in those other countries gonna rise, while deaths in Sweden goes down? Cause I do

I got news for ya buddy, people are going to die from pandemics. How did America survive the Spanish Flu without a lockdown? https://www.cnbc.com/2020/05/29/coronavirus-swedens-gdp-actually-grew-in-the-first-quarter.html. And given the fact we live in a world economy, I’m surprised it grew.

To ur other point about deaths in the other Scan countries, what u think gonna happen when they open up? U don’t think the deaths in those other countries gonna rise, while deaths in Sweden goes down? Cause I do
we shall see.

Reactions: minnesotahog

I thought you said experts were untrustworthy?

ADVERTISEMENT