ADVERTISEMENT

16-20 in 3 years at Arkansas

RazorRam

Letterman
Nov 22, 2003
Won a couple of games against avg ole miss and avg lsu and all of a sudden cbb is a hero? 16-20 in 3 yrs, let that sink in a bit, 16-20. I cannot think of a top tier program in the country that would put up with that yet we have to because of the huge buyout. Before anyone says well we are not top tier, I know that and we never will be with a 16-20 record over a 3 yr span. Jeff Long please go to Texas and be their new AD, please. I thought Broyles was bad, Long is no better.

Reactions: hogzilla22
Last week our coach was great and now he is a goat! This is what I was afraid of in case we lost, overreaction! I've watched how Bielema has tried to rebuild this team and for the most part agree on how he's doing this. Yes he's made some mistakes but what coach hasn't been second guessed. We've seen the offense improve during the season with much credit to Enos but criticism is warranted for not having 2 a days and the team coming out soft.

The main concern I have is the defense! I see no improvement during the season and a lack of good game plans by Coach Smith. At times he seems lost in space like our secondary. Bielema admitted he didn't recruit enough LB's the last couple of years and that he will fix that problem although I only see 2 commitments so far but to win in the SEC our defense will need to vastly improve and if that means Smith is dumped then so be it, or am I overreacting?

CBB started from pretty much nothing. CBP and JLS left a dumpster fire.

We are building. Look at our SEC record each year under Bielema. I see improvement every year.

smith proved he could coach defense, given the players, last year.

And, look at what Enos has done with the offense this year and he has done it without our best RB and WR.

Last week our coach was great and now he is a goat! This is what I was afraid of in case we lost, overreaction! I've watched how Bielema has tried to rebuild this team and for the most part agree on how he's doing this. Yes he's made some mistakes but what coach hasn't been second guessed. We've seen the offense improve during the season with much credit to Enos but criticism is warranted for not having 2 a days and the team coming out soft.

The main concern I have is the defense! I see no improvement during the season and a lack of good game plans by Coach Smith. At times he seems lost in space like our secondary. Bielema admitted he didn't recruit enough LB's the last couple of years and that he will fix that problem although I only see 2 commitments so far but to win in the SEC our defense will need to vastly improve and if that means Smith is dumped then so be it, or am I overreacting?

You're not overreacting like that guy above you. It's fine to offer up criticism when it's warranted and constructive, but some folks just don't understand that real world football isn't the same as video game football. I've been a Hog fan since I was a kid in the late 60s and I've seen a lot of good times and a lot of bad, While I have complained about bad decisions and poor play I've never turned my back on the team like so many of today's so called fans do when everything doesn't go perfectly, and I never will. When the team is down is when they need the most support and encouragement, not whining and crying in the beer. I don't think the problem with the DBs is that not enough have been recruited, but that the ones that have don't have the skill set to fit the system we run, which calls for a lot of man coverage they seem to do better when in zone than in man. We need someone recruiting that can recognize the skills needed for our system.

Playing for the FG at the end was a bad call on the coaches. Our kicking game has been erratic and unreliable all year long and until it improves should only be used when needed, not to win a game when the passing game was working so well. No guarantee that we would have scored a TD had we tried for one, but considering how the game was going it had a higher percentage of success than a FG so should have been tried on the first 3 plays instead of the runs, then could try the kick if the TD tries failed. We weren't going to be able to run the clock down with them calling timeouts anyway.

We were hit early and often with injuries. I can't remember a season when the injuries have been so many and so bad with so many broken bones. I can't help but wonder if the lack of 2 a days contributed to our rash of injuries this year. Without having to put in so may unprepared players so early in the season we may not have lost to Toledo and TT, but no way of knowing for sure.

If we go for the TD... and we don't get it... or BA throws an int. ..

We give the ball to Mississippi state with 1:30 to go and 3 time outs.

You comfortable with that?

Running the ball used up their TO's and ran the clock down.

BA was pretty much perfect up to that point. How many times do you go to the well?

Our FG alignment needs to be corrected. The distance between our snapper & holder is about 6-7 yards, whereas most other teams are in the 7-8 yard range (where ball is marked & holder is knee'd down). When you have had multiple FG's blocked you would think this would have already been fixed. The extra yard is the full length of a attempted blockers arm which can make all the difference on FG attempts.

If we go for the TD... and we don't get it... or BA throws an int. ..

We give the ball to Mississippi state with 1:30 to go and 3 time outs.

You comfortable with that?

Running the ball used up their TO's and ran the clock down.

BA was pretty much perfect up to that point. How many times do you go to the well?

You must be comfortable with the loss. Like I said, no guarantee going for a TD would have worked and going for a TD doesn't mean passing on all 3 plays, and they could have still tried the FG if they weren't able to score a TD, they might have been even closer so his low kick angle wouldn't have mattered as much as it did. All they did with all three runs was keep the ball in the middle of the field. Playing not to lose will get you beat, you have to play to win. The way MSU was moving the ball they would have still had plenty of time to get into FG range for their own kicker instead of having to score a TD themselves. I would rather make them go the longer distance for a TD to win.

Our FG alignment needs to be corrected. The distance between our snapper & holder is about 6-7 yards, whereas most other teams are in the 7-8 yard range (where ball is marked & holder is knee'd down). When you have had multiple FG's blocked you would think this would have already been fixed. The extra yard is the full length of a attempted blockers arm which can make all the difference on FG attempts.
If it is simply lining up wrong......wow.

You must be comfortable with the loss. Like I said, no guarantee going for a TD would have worked and going for a TD doesn't mean passing on all 3 plays, and they could have still tried the FG if they weren't able to score a TD, they might have been even closer so his low kick angle wouldn't have mattered as much as it did. All they did with all three runs was keep the ball in the middle of the field. Playing not to lose will get you beat, you have to play to win. The way MSU was moving the ball they would have still had plenty of time to get into FG range for their own kicker instead of having to score a TD themselves. I would rather make them go the longer distance for a TD to win.

They would certainly have had time if we throw a pick or we are throw incompletions and our FG attempt is blocked and they have 1:30 , 3 time outs and only need a FG to beat us.

They would certainly have had time if we throw a pick or we are throw incompletions and our FG attempt is blocked and they have 1:30 , 3 time outs and only need a FG to beat us.
I'm not going to argue or try to change anyone else's mind. They didn't have to throw it, none of the three runs were serious attempts to move the ball, just clock eating and making sure to keep the ball in the middle of the field. I've spoken my mind on it and all the what if this and what if that won't change what actually happened.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT