ADVERTISEMENT

5 questions before Texas State ...

Sir Dennis Eeatin-Hog

All-American
Apr 3, 2007
1. Is this a trap game? Sandwiched in between TCU and Texas A&M in DFW is this home game against upstart Texas State, which upset Ohio in its opener and had 2 weeks to prepare for the Hogs. Going back to Samford (2013) Toledo (2015), and LaTech (2016), several underdog OOC opponents have given us trouble on the home turf. The Hogs should win this one in a big way, and maybe LaTech was our mid-major test for the year, but we can't go into this any less prepared or hungry than we did for TCU.

2. What do Rawleigh Williams III and the number 52 have in common? It's the number of times he's carried the ball in only 2 games ... he's tied for 1st-place in the country with Georgia's Nick Chubb for most carries ... too many carries and it tells me we need to use this game to get guys like Devwah Whaley some significant touches. RWIII's 233 yards (15th in the country), 4.5 yards-per-carry, and 1 rushing TD have been huge in 2 close, come-from-behind wins, but at that workload/pace, he's going to wear down which could lead to injury and/or or limit his effectiveness. The Hogs need a change-of-pace, something different for teams to have to prepare for and defend. I've seen enough of Kody Walker to think he needs to get no more than 4-8 touches per game -- and he may end up with more that this weekend -- but I think it's time to give Whaley a 15-carry workload and see what he does with it.

3. When are we going to throw the ball downfield? I've been waiting for it, though I understand with a new O-line and QB the reasons for quick, easy reads, but a vertical passing game helps the running game and short passing game. Pretty soon, we'll be facing the most athletic and physical defenses in the country -- SEC D's -- so we don't want to beg them to load the box on 1st and 2nd down .... I'm not holding back any longer if I'm Dan Enos ... time to take the top off and fling it against Texas State ... let's get DReed, Hatcher, and Morgan some deep stuff and let the Aggies worry about that part of our game, too, next week. Will be interesting to see if the O-line can avoid giving up a sack for the first time this year, too.

4. Will our LBs and DBs put together another solid game against an uptempo, spread team? The Hogs' back 7 closed faster and tackled better against TCU, and though they struggled some against LaTech the defense did limit that team to fewer than 300 yards of offense. Take away the 4th Q and the first OT against TCU, and the D has been solid for 7 Qs and 1 OT. This game is an opportunity for the defense to build more confidence and let our remaining opponents know that we are for real. Our goal should always be to pitch a shutout against a team like this, but if we can limit this team to 2 scores I say mission accomplished heading into the TAMU game.

5. Does anyone else want to see a change at KR? Dominic Reed has straight-line speed, but man he has no shiftiness due to those long, toothpick legs, and the truth is I cringe every time he returns a kick because I worry he's going to suffer a lower leg injury. I'd use this game to audition somebody else at KR ... Texas State might not get to kickoff much -- let's hope not anyway -- but I'd like to see us get a new look at KR.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News