ADVERTISEMENT

A few Tuesday observations

Danny West

Recruiting Analyst
Oct 24, 2004
Tontitown, AR
www.hawgsports.com
Trey's got the full report up top, but just wanted to post some things that I saw on Tuesday:

- As mentioned in another thread, Keon Hatcher has just been lights out here lately. He's made some ridiculous catches just in the last two practices that we've seen. We typically don't go on and on about returning starters and position group leaders (no one wants to hear how good Collins and J-Will look every single day, you already know they're good), but Keon's is notable because they need a playmaker or two to emerge. We all know Keon to be a very steady receiver, but not someone who any of us would describe as a huge playmaker. That's what he's been the last few times out, a playmaker.

- Jalen Merrick ticked off the defensive sideline a little bit today. There was no live tackling or going to the ground in today's practice, but that didn't stop him from pancaking safety De'Andre Coley on one particular play. That got the defensive guys' attention a little bit.

- As Trey mentioned in his report, Josh Harris and Dwayne Eugene with the second linebacker group can bring some serious pop. The only thing that could have possibly kept Harris from pulling in several offers is his height. He's only about 5-9, but a lot of good linebackers have been that height. I expect him to get a scholarship sooner rather than later.

- D.J. Dean has impressed me this spring, but he jumped a slant today and the ball appeared to just go straight through him into the hands of Jared Cornelius for what would have been a walk-in touchdown. Dean timed it perfectly though and will at least get a hand on that one 9 out of 10 times.

- Armon Watts has now made it two practices in a row where he's blown into the backfield for a tackle for loss. Just something to keep an eye on as he keeps coming, but that's good to see from him.

- Bijhon Jackson, as we said, was just whipping people today. It wasn't even fair to have him in the second group. They couldn't touch him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News