ADVERTISEMENT

Arkansas bball stat breakdown for the year...(kinda long)

Scott O.

Hall of Fame
Gold Member
Jun 23, 2002
Now that the end of the season is here, I was looking over random stats and found a few things interesting. I like to look at the more non-tradional stats (i.e. advanced stats, as opposed to your regular ppg, rpb, apg, etc...).

Here are some of the more interesting stats I found:

- One of my favorite stats is Net Rating. Basically, it's (pts scored per 100 possessions while a player is on the court, or Offensive Rating) minus (pts allowed per 100 possessions while a player is on the court, or Defensive Rating). In short, it's a +/- stat per 100 possessions. For instance, Portis has an Offensive Rating of 122.0 and a Defensive Rating of 96.9. Take the difference between Offensive Rating (122.0) and subtract the Defensive Rating (96.9) from it and you get a 25.1 Net Rating. So, we outscored our opponents by 25.1 points per 100 possessions Portis was on the court. BTW, he's 1st on the team in both Offensive and Defensive rating. He's really good. Like all stats, it has it's faults. But, I think you'll find that it basically correctly ranks our players from best to worst using the rating...

- Here's how the team stacks up in Net Rating: Portis (25.1), Qualls (15.5), Madden (11.8), Harris (11.0), Kingsley (9.9), Watkins (7.8), Beard (4.2), Bell (2.2), Williams (-9.9), and Durham (-11.8).

In summary, Portis was BY FAR our best player this year. I know a lot of people were upset with how he played the last 3 or 4 games (including me). But, between Portis and Qualls, losing Portis would be a MUCH bigger loss. Also, I thought it was interesting that Kingsley had the highest net rating of the bench players, followed by Watkins. For as much as people complained about Moses, he comes out very well in Net Rating, thanks to his defense. With any kind of bounce back year from him next year, our 2nd unit should be that much better. As far as Williams' and Durham's Net Ratings...Yikes!

- Also, a few Defensive Ratings I found interesting. Sometimes it's hard to gauge how good a player is on defense since many of the things coaches ask players to do (make the right rotations, take charges, fight through screens, etc...) on defense don't show up in the stat book. Anyways, here's a few interesting Defensive Rating stats...Moses Kingsley is 2nd on the team in Defensive Rating at 97.2. Watkins is 3rd at 97.5. And, Jacorey's one good stat is he's 4th on the team in Defensive Rating at 100.1.

The 2 worst defensive players are Durham at 106.4 and Bell at 106.1 (which shouldn't come as any surprise). Among starters, Madden ranks last at 103.5, with only Bell and Durham ranking behind him, among the regulars.

- As far as Offensive Rating, there aren't really any surprises. Portis (122.0) and Qualls (117.5) rank 1st and 2nd. Madden (115.3), Harris (111.4), and Bell (108.3) round out the top 5. The worst Offensive Ratings are Williams (90.2), Durham (94.6), and Watkins (105.3). If you were to guess who the best and worst offensive players those are the names that would probably pop up at the top and bottom of most lists.

- Not too surprisingly, Portis attempted the most 2 pt attempts per 40 minutes (16.2). More surprising to me, Jacorey was 2nd at 12.3. Jacorey played a lot on an offensively-challenged 2nd unit. So, it's not like he was taking shots from Portis and Qualls. But, if he's going to shoot that much, he needs to be more efficient (he shot 40.8% for the year). When you look at Jacorey's attempts per minute, with his FG%, it explains why he has the worst Offensive Rating on the team.

- As far as 3 pt attempts per 40 minutes, Bell was by far our most prolific shooter, shooting 11.2 3's per 40 minutes. Qualls was 2nd at 6.1 attempts.

- Qualls (7.5) and Portis (5.8) were both 1 and 2 in FT attempts per 40 minutes. More surprising to me was, Kingsley was 3rd at 5.4 attempts. Just .4 behind Portis. I think Moses has good form for a big. If he can start knocking those down at a better than 70% clip, his production could go way up.

- Moses Kingsley was, by far, our best shot blocker from a per minute basis. He blocked 3.9 shots per 40 minutes. And, that's probably a down year for him. He was at 5.3 blocked shots per 40 minutes his freshman year. Portis and Harris were both tied for 2nd at 1.9 blocks per 40 minutes. Kingsley blocked shots at twice the rate of anyone else on the team, however...

- ...Moses had a big fouling problem. He fouled 5.7 times per 40 minutes, worst on the team for regulars. You probably just need 1 guess on who was 2nd...Beard at 5.1 fouls per 40 minutes. Although, judging by his facial expressions, he didn't commit a single foul this year. Both Beard and Kingsley need to find a way to be more under control next year.

- As far as points per 40 minutes, you'd probably guess who the top players are: Portis (23.4), Qualls (21.2), and Bell (17.2). However, Kingsley actually scored more often per 40 minutes (13.3) than Beard (12.0). If you asked most people, I'm sure they'd assume Beard had the better scoring season.

The one thing that encouraged me the most when looking at these numbers was Kingsley's production. Even with a down year, he put up some decent per-40 minute #'s, and still had a big presence on defense. If BP does leave, Kingsley, with any kind of improvement on offense, could put up some good numbers next year.

Hopefully I didn't bore everyone to death.

All stats are per our Basketball Reference page on basketballreference.com...

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/arkansas/2015.html

This post was edited on 3/25 9:09 AM by Scott O.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.