ADVERTISEMENT

Baseball Arkansas in final two for grad transfer shortstop Cooper Weiss

RileyMcFerran

Managing editor
Staff
Mar 30, 2019
Lavaca, AR

Arkansas baseball has a strong track record with multiple shortstops being drafted due to defensive capability, offensive versatility and just playing the game the right way.

This, for the most part, is due to the coaching from former college second baseman Dave Van Horn, who has a reputation of producing elite infield play, which could continue with Miami (OH) shortstop transfer Cooper Weiss.

The Fort Myers, Florida, native took an official visit to Arkansas on Thursday and had good things to say about his time.

"The visit was really cool," Weiss told HawgBeat. "Always nice to see things in person and not rely on what you've seen on YouTube or ESPN."

One thing that stood out to Weiss — and most recruits who check out Fayetteville — was the start of the art facilities of the Arkansas baseball program.

"The facilities are more than likely the nicest in the country and SEC," Weiss said. "What you see is what you get, no doubt."

Weiss slashed .305/.426/.570 with an OPS of .996 while driving in 43 runs with 15 doubles, one triple and 12 home runs. He was able to talk with the Razorback coaches extensively during his visit.

"Biggest takeaway is that at any high level program, defense and pitching win games consistently," Weiss said. "There's no wondering why Arkansas wins a lot of games, and wins the SEC with that formula."

Weiss could continue the tradition of elite infield play in Fayetteville. After only committing two errors all season in 2022, he earned MAC Defensive Player of the Year honors. He knows that playing time isn't a guarantee unless he performs, but he was able to talk with the coaches about what the plan for him would be if he transferred to Arkansas.

"The best shortstop plays," Weiss said. "They're attacking the portal hard and looking for experience so I fit that mold. Obviously, I would love to play shortstop."

Arkansas was Weiss' last visit after also seeing Auburn, Kentucky and Georgia Tech. He was supposed to make a visit to LSU but was unable after they secured a bid for the College World Series. He said that the Hogs are in his top two with a decision coming later Friday.

"I'm making my decision this afternoon between Auburn and Arkansas," Weiss said.

If Weiss does choose the Razorbacks, he said it would be because of the fan support and winning culture the program has.

"To come to Arkansas would mean to play in front of 10,000 fans every SEC weekend and that's absolutely dope," Weiss said. "It goes without saying about Arkansas, that's why I would come play at Arkansas. Always an opportunity here to go to Omaha and win a national championship."

Arkansas is in need of an experienced starting shortstop after starter John Bolton ran out of eligibility and backup Harold Coll hit the transfer portal. Weiss would provide that experience with excellent defense and offensive potential.

Wherever he ends up, Weiss will have one more year of eligibility as a grad transfer.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News