ADVERTISEMENT

Arkansas opens a 14.5 favorite against NIU

TOP HOG

All-Conference
Jun 11, 2002
I would rather be the underdog. The team brings a mean streak when they get no respect. HOGS need to be focused only on NIU and not peeking at aTm. NIU will jump up and bite them otherwise. If Arkansas stays with what is working and doesn't try to get fancy, I see a 2+ score win. I believe their depth will be a problem in the 2nd half. I also believe their 1st string defense will be better than TT. So I expect then to hold their own for the first half and into the 3rd QTR. HOGS will have to pass a few more times to keep 9 out of the box. HOGS TEs is where the biggest matchup problem is for NIU. The TEs should get at least 50% of the passes and open half the holes for the RBs. HOGS will have a lot of chances at long passes to the WRs because of mismatches from NIU wanting to stop the run. BA needs to be on target and the WRs need to catch and holdon to the ball. I see HOGS 45-24. The crowd needs to bring the noise in this one.

NIU has 17 game road win streak.........

They apparently defend the run well, and have beaten UNLV and Northwestern on road this year. They don't pass it well and rely on running game. Mini version of Hogs?

Can't take this for granted- don't think we will.

Re: NIU has 17 game road win streak.........

Man ball it is then. NW held them to 23 points, a little over 200 yards passing and a 102 yard RB. The key is they don't beat theirselves, HOGS must limit mistakes.

I read at one of their boards that they're glad we don't pass much since they'll be playing two freshmen corners they won't have to worry about being tested like in the UNLV game.

Seems like a good game to get JoJo started. Time for Morgan, Cody and Mitchell to make there mark. If the CBs are under 6 foot, look for Arkansas to test them with tall receivers.

Originally posted by Count Hogula:

I read at one of their boards that they're glad we don't pass much since they'll be playing two freshmen corners they won't have to worry about being tested like in the UNLV game.
One of their fans on the main board seems to think that their strength is throwing the ball around, Texas Tech style. If true, that wont bode well for us. Also, he seemed to think their defense will be improved from what it was last year, meaning we may have some trouble with them.

Im more worried about this game than I was with TTU

Hog44, while I see your point I think the Hogs can come out, establish a punishing ground attack and wrap up a win by the middle of the 3rd quarter if they don't shoot themselves in the foot.

Ah,....bullhockey ya'll shouldn't be so skeert.

If folks be skeert, they should be in the stands before kick off getting into the heads of their players with hog calls and smack talk. I remember what the old SWC coaches said about his players losing focus and being in awe of the Fayettville stadium in pregame warm ups when they heard the hog fans calling the hogs pregame. I know its a bit much nowadays getting hog fans out of the tailgates and into the game before kick off, but I think it could be a good idea.

Heck with what I saw about NIU depth chart, I'd pull a huge guard to team up with Skipper on one side, or pull a huge guard to team up with our other huge tackle, lead a fullback and hand off off tackle plays all day is a big day for the Hogs. Their DE's only weight 215 on both sides, and their DB's much less. I bet our RB's get to the second level of their defense fairly easy most times. Those are fine RB's trucking behind over 700lbs of whole hog coming at the little DE. They do have two 300lbers in the middle line, so that is a concern up the middle, which is why I would attack their ends.
Mix in some screens, quick slants, and easy passes, and its a win. That's what I would do, no telling what this coaching staff would do.

Now I know ole Petrino and Johelle didn't cruit quality defenders for too long which is a concern today but still, just run off tackle. Its not hard to figure out what the end result would be.

If it were me, I'd go to the game just to watch our line play. (See link in their first post)

Not skeert at all, go hogs.

click the link in first post...

The line mismatch is too much. I don't think it remains close. We need a pass or two for jojo and HH. Give jojo on a reverse, miss direction. Then some flat out speedy runs.

Latest word is CBB wants JoJo to redshirt this year. So we'll have to use Duwop or Keon for the reverses.

I'm nervous about this one. Throw the stats out the door, I just don't like the combination of playing a team that knows how to win on the road while at the same time we aren't familiar with handling success. That being said, if we come out and play a dominant game, then the rest of the league had better watch out.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT