ADVERTISEMENT

Arkansas trooper flips pregnant woman's car

mikedamone

Hall of Fame
Gold Member
Feb 3, 2003
for not pulling over fast enough. Just watch the video, after you read the bolded part below.

First, police said if you are not comfortable pulling over in that location or are not sure it is an actual officer, immediately slow down and turn on your hazard lights. Police said that will let the officer know you see them. Next, police said to move to the farthest right lane and continue to drive to a location where you feel safe. Police said under a street light, a gas station, and exit ramp or side road are examples of where to stop. Police said if you think the vehicle pulling you over is not a real police officer, call 911.

The dick is little on this one.
Less than two minutes after turning on his blue lights, Dunn performed a PIT maneuver, which caused Harper’s car to crash into the concrete median and flip.

“In my head I was going to lose the baby,” said Harper, who was pregnant with her daughter at the time of the crash.

Dunn’s body mic recorded him talking with Harper after the crash.

“Why didn’t you stop?” Dunn questioned.

“Because I didn’t feel it was safe,” Harper said. Dunn responded, “well this is where you ended up.”
Harper went on to say, “I thought it would be safe to wait until the exit.” Dunn said, “no ma’am, you pull over when law enforcement stops you.”

The PIT happened less than a mile from where the next exit and where the interstate shoulder widens.

Less than two minutes after turning on his blue lights, Dunn performed a PIT maneuver, which caused Harper’s car to crash into the concrete median and flip.

“In my head I was going to lose the baby,” said Harper, who was pregnant with her daughter at the time of the crash.

“Because I didn’t feel it was safe,” Harper said. Dunn responded, “well this is where you ended up.”
Harper went on to say, “I thought it would be safe to wait until the exit.” Dunn said, “no ma’am, you pull over when law enforcement stops you.”

The PIT happened less than a mile from where the next exit and where the interstate shoulder widens.

I had similar altercation, sans being flipped over, in Fort Worth one christmas. We were heading down Chisolm Trail (shortcut to 67), to see my in laws in Hill Country. I was flying on the 4 lane road, thinking I was at speed limit.. well apparently it was 45 in some areas. Cop flashed me. It was super tight on the shoulders, so I drove for 2-3 miles, then finally a grassy spot on the median. Pulled over. He got on his loud speaker and said "Exit car, hands up".. I got out and held my hands up, explained wtf I was doing, and then he thanked me for being proactive and sent me on my way with a warning.

That cop should go to prison. That should be attempted murder.
They don't think he did anything wrong

COL. BILL BRYANT STATEMENT:

Over the past five years, Arkansas State Troopers have documented a 52 percent increase in incidents of drivers making a conscious choice to ignore traffic stops initiated by the troopers. Instead of stopping, the drivers try to flee. In more populated areas of the state, the incidents of fleeing from troopers have risen by more than 80 percent. The fleeing drivers pull away at a high rate of speed, wildly driving, dangerously passing other vehicles, showing no regard for the safety of other motorists, creating an imminent threat to the public.
The Arkansas State Police began using the Precision Immobilization Technique (PIT) over two decades ago. Trooper recruits while attending the department’s academy receive comprehensive initial training in the use of PIT. All incumbent troopers receive recurring annual training in emergency vehicle operations which includes PIT instruction.
There’s a fundamental state law none of us should ever forget. All drivers are required under Arkansas law to safely pull-off the roadway and stop when a police officer activates the patrol vehicle emergency lights and siren. The language of the law is crystal clear. Upon the immediate approach of an authorized emergency vehicle displaying the signal to stop, the driver must pull-over and stop. *(see Arkansas statutes ACA §27-51-901 & §27-49-107)
Should a driver make the decision to ignore the law and flee from police, state troopers are trained to consider their options. Based on the totality of circumstances a state trooper could deploy spike strips to deflate the tires of the vehicle being pursued, execute a boxing technique to contain the pursuit slowing the driver to a stop, execute a PIT maneuver or terminate the pursuit.
Most Arkansas State Police pursuits end without a PIT maneuver being utilized.
PIT has proven to be an effective tool to stop drivers who are placing others in harm’s way. It has saved lives among those who choose to obey the law against those who choose to run from police.
In every case a state trooper has used a PIT maneuver, the fleeing driver could have chosen to end the pursuit by doing what all law-abiding citizens do every day when a police officer turns-on the blue lights – they pull over and stop.

Truthfully I can’t think of a single time I’ve ever needed a policeman’s help but I’ve gotten more tickets in my life than I can imagine ..... Gilmore AR and Augusta, AR all by zealots
City and county police/sheriffs should not be allowed to write speeding tickets (or "careless driving" as they like to call them to avoid sharing the revenue) on numbered highways.

Reactions: Ragnar II

Way too agressive...

...but a couple of thoughts...2 minutes while speeding on the highway (presumably 80 or so) is 2.5 miles. Saying, "I was waiting for the next exit," really doesn't make a lot sense.

The action of the police officer to flip the car for a speeding ticket is insanely stupid and should never be "common practice" for an officer in a situation where provocation hasn't initated other than an elongated stop. If she went from 80-150 and was swerving all over the place...then maybe...but not if she's just maintaining speed.

That woman will get a LOT of money and that guy should go to jail if he violated any terms of conduct. If not, those terms need to be adjusted immediately.

Way too agressive...

...but a couple of thoughts...2 minutes while speeding on the highway (presumably 80 or so) is 2.5 miles. Saying, "I was waiting for the next exit," really doesn't make a lot sense.

The action of the police officer to flip the car for a speeding ticket is insanely stupid and should never be "common practice" for an officer in a situation where provocation hasn't initated other than an elongated stop. If she went from 80-150 and was swerving all over the place...then maybe...but not if she's just maintaining speed.

That woman will get a LOT of money and that guy should go to jail if he violated any terms of conduct. If not, those terms need to be adjusted immediately.
Don't think she was still doing 80 when she pulled over into the right lane and flipped her hazards on. Hard to know though bc the full dash cam video doesn't show his speed.

Don't think she was still doing 80 when she pulled over into the right lane and flipped her hazards on. Hard to know though bc the full dash cam video doesn't show his speed.
I'm just trying to think what could cause someone to think they need to do this...I'll just wait until more comes out to make any more comments.

Reactions: anon_j0hjgb7us6s1a
Way too agressive...

I don't understand your first paragraph? Please explain.

I don't understand your first paragraph? Please explain.
If on the highway, with a speed limit of 65, and a police officer decides to try and pull someone over, I assume they're going 75+. The statement from mike said, "less than 2 minutes," which I assume meant this person went at least a mile and probably closer to 2.

"Harper went on to say, “I thought it would be safe to wait until the exit.” Dunn said, “no ma’am, you pull over when law enforcement stops you.”

Meaning, she passed one or more exits but said she wanted to wait for an exit to stop.

Again, I'm not justifying the actions. She'll sue and make a lot of money...I'm just trying to fill in the gaps of the video that we haven't seen.

If on the highway, with a speed limit of 65, and a police officer decides to try and pull someone over, I assume they're going 75+. The statement from mike said, "less than 2 minutes," which I assume meant this person went at least a mile and probably closer to 2.

"Harper went on to say, “I thought it would be safe to wait until the exit.” Dunn said, “no ma’am, you pull over when law enforcement stops you.”

Meaning, she passed one or more exits but said she wanted to wait for an exit to stop.

Again, I'm not justifying the actions. She'll sue and make a lot of money...I'm just trying to fill in the gaps of the video that we haven't seen.
The area this is in (north of Jacksonville) has a stretch where there's about 7 or 8 miles with no exit.

The area this is in (north of Jacksonville) has a stretch where there's about 7 or 8 miles with no exit.
I guess I'm used to highways with an exit every mile. Again, just asking questions and not removing blame or justifying actions.

People are using this "I don't feel safe BS" for any advantage. Common sense says call 911 if you don't feel safe and ask if you are being stopped by a real officer. 911 dispatch can relay a message to the policeman that you plan to stop once you confirm it is an actual policeman.....

Take back what I said on this if she slowed down and turned hazards on je was out of line. I didn't read that in the first story I read

Reactions: DirkPiggler
Here attorney implies that she was going 60 at the time of the accident. That makes sense as she clearly slowed down after he turned on his lights.
Is that in the video? I'm probably looking at the wrong thing. The video in the OP starts when the car's already flipped for me.

People are using this "I don't feel safe BS" for any advantage. Common sense says call 911 if you don't feel safe and ask if you are being stopped by a real officer. 911 dispatch can relay a message to the policeman that you plan to stop once you confirm it is an actual policeman.....

Take back what I said on this if she slowed down and turned hazards on je was out of line. I didn't read that in the first story I read
Watch the video. Her concern was more that she didn't feel like there was enough room on the shoulder for the officer to pull her over and conduct the traffic stop safely. She was actually concerned for his safety on the shoulder.

Watch the video. Her concern was more that she didn't feel like there was enough room on the shoulder for the officer to pull her over and conduct the traffic stop safely. She was actually concerned for his safety on the shoulder.
I edited my statement I didn't read the part about slowing down and turning on hazards

Yeah. Watching the full video she didn't pass any exits. When the officer pits her is right after you see the lodging options for the upcoming exit.

Reactions: TJ Hawg
If she slowed down and put on hazards why in the world would the cop think she was trying to flee!? Who slows down to flee??
Well, he said he didn't know what was going on inside the car. He must have been worried.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT