ADVERTISEMENT

As predicted, it is a @#$% show, and other thoughts

ermackey

Starter
Nov 7, 2009
Juneau, AK
www.jodyhighroller.com
My original post from Saturday in response to this tweet.
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">After Gus won tonight, several coaches reached out saying Arkansas’ search feels like a mess. No one knows who is running the search. Needs clear leadership coaches believe in.</p>&mdash; FootballScoop Staff (@FootballScoop) <a href="">November 26, 2017</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Tweet looks legit to me and makes sense. There are very divided loyalties and interests at play.
  • We have a BOT that wanted a change and fired the AD.
  • Now we have an interim AD interested in getting the job and wants to own the process so she can prove she is capabile.
  • We have an AD search committee that is currently looking for an AD, adding to the pressure on the interim AD.
  • Using history as a guide, we have BOT and donors running behind the scenes trying to get their choice hired.
  • We have coaches trying to use us to get extensions and raises from their current employers.
  • We have fans more interested in spreading fantasies as fact than seeking good information and unifying the base behind good information.
I am confident this is already a shit-show. It just has not started to stink yet. That will come Monday or Tuesday, I expect.

Firing Long was the dumbest move I have seen Arkansas make in my lifetime. This search will prove it. As I predicted the day Long was fired, get ready for a disaster along the lines of Dana Altman's hire/resignation. If Long was still here, we would have coaches actually interested and a credible professional they would trust. We would have a legitimate and well-run search. But hell, Arkansas and the south has always been more reactionary than pragmatic. That is why we are an ill-educated and low-wage state. Hell, half (or more) of the people on this board likely never graduated college, much less the UA. But they vote and raise hell. And sadly, that actually matters to the program.

Nailed it.

Now my new thoughts.

We have this today from Football Scoop and Bo Mattingly.
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Arkansas’ search was all over the place. As Bo says, they are trying to corral it <a href="https://t.co/MuuB8Etkdh">https://t.co/MuuB8Etkdh</a> <a href="https://t.co/KBts4HGc5S">https://t.co/KBts4HGc5S</a></p>&mdash; FootballScoop Staff (@FootballScoop) <a href="">November 28, 2017</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Having served on a D-I Head Coach Search Committee for Head Basketball Coach, I can assure you that this is actually GOOD news. Not because having two search committees for head coach is good; it is not good. The exposure of this shit-show is good because it will embarrass those involved on both sides and force cooperation to some extent. I am sure the powers that be are not going to leave. They should, but they are not. Once they fired Long they exposed their agenda – total control and scorched earth approach. It was stupid. They will not admit it, but it was one of the dumbest moves in the history of Arkansas Athletics.

But what is done is done. The BEST news today was the hiring of a consulting firm to help with the search. This is not good news because it helps one side or the other. It is good news because it will expedite the search and impose privacy on the process. While I prefer an open process, this shit-show is beyond that now. There are coaches that will want to talk, but do not want to piss-off their current employers reaching out to other programs for a promotion. The search committee is not subject to FOIA. The search committee is virtually untraceable with plausible deniability for the University and the coaches they seek. This is a good thing. Ignore the Ole Miss outcome. They likely hired Matt Luke because nobody better wants the job going into NCAA sanctions, so they essentially hired Matt Luke as a 2-3 year interim coach until it blows over. We are not in that boat.

So, where are we today as I sit in my office typing this? Well, I think that Gus is a pipe-dream. He may come, but I cannot imagine that this is true if he makes the BCS. Then again, if he does hate some people at Auburn as much as some say, there is no bigger FU than to quit the team as they go to the BCS. Imagine the drama. But really, it is an irrational decision given that he is a coach and we have to assume his dream is to win a NC. But if he loses to Georgia, he may be back in the game. Maybe that is why the AD stated that she expected a hire within 7-10 days – after the SEC Championship game. THIS makes sense.

So, I still think it has been Gus since they fired Long. I also think they fired Long so that Gus could choose his AD as part of his demands to return to Arkansas and show they were “serious” about getting him back to Arkansas. I think our current AD recognizes this and is willing to hire Gus to show she is “on board” but is also preparing alternatives she would prefer if this blows-up. This is in her interest so that she could look like a savior and get the job permanently if she capitulates to Gus or has a reasonable back-up and saves the day at the end.

In the meantime, we have the shit-show. The NWA mafia and some other monied elites outside NWA seeking Gus and our AD conducting an official search in parallel. Embarrassing and predictable given the build-up, firing of Long, and immediate “I am in Charge” statement from the AD.

One final thought. STOP THE FIRE THE CHANCELLOR TALK. How much stupid has to be done before you figure out you need to stop suggesting stupid things. If you think it is a shit-show now, fire the Chancellor. That won’t just make us the laughingstock of ESPN, but will raise concerns about Academic integrity and institutional control at our campus. The NCAA would have every right to ask if our Athletic priorities are out of control and come look hard at us and our past practices. And if that happens, they will find something. Could be a grade change after some extra-credit was done. Could be free burgers at a local joint. Could be free drinks at a bar. But no program is 100% clean. It is impossible. The only way to stay clean is to keep the NCAA from having a reason to look.

More importantly, Accreditors would be interested in the institutional control. They are usually more concerned about the treatment of faculty, but, like at Texas A&M, they get very concerned when there seems to be political pressures outside the established charter of the school. This causes its own set of problems. So leave the Chancellor alone. Stop being reactionary. Instead, pause and think.

Last edited:
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">After Gus won tonight, several coaches reached out saying Arkansas’ search feels like a mess. No one knows who is running the search. Needs clear leadership coaches believe in.</p>&mdash; FootballScoop Staff (@FootballScoop) <a href=" ">November 26, 2017</a></blockquote>

Tweet looks legit to me and makes sense. There are very divided loyalties and interests at play.
  • Now we have an interim AD interested in getting the job and wants to own the process so she can prove she is capabile.
  • We have an AD search committee that is currently looking for an AD, adding to the pressure on the interim AD.
  • Using history as a guide, we have BOT and donors running behind the scenes trying to get their choice hired.
  • We have coaches trying to use us to get extensions and raises from their current employers.
  • We have fans more interested in spreading fantasies as fact than seeking good information and unifying the base behind good information.
I am confident this is already a shit-show. It just has not started to stink yet. That will come Monday or Tuesday, I expect.

Firing Long was the dumbest move I have seen Arkansas make in my lifetime. This search will prove it. As I predicted the day Long was fired, get ready for a disaster along the lines of Dana Altman's hire/resignation. If Long was still here, we would have coaches actually interested and a credible professional they would trust. We would have a legitimate and well-run search. But hell, Arkansas and the south has always been more reactionary than pragmatic. That is why we are an ill-educated and low-wage state. Hell, half (or more) of the people on this board likely never graduated college, much less the UA. But they vote and raise hell. And sadly, that actually matters to the program.

Nailed it.

Now my new thoughts.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Arkansas’ search was all over the place. As Bo says, they are trying to corral it <a href="https://t.co/MuuB8Etkdh">https://t.co/MuuB8Etkdh</a> <a href="https://t.co/KBts4HGc5S">https://t.co/KBts4HGc5S</a></p>&mdash; FootballScoop Staff (@FootballScoop) <a href=" ">November 28, 2017</a></blockquote>

Having served on a D-I Head Coach Search Committee for Head Basketball Coach, I can assure you that this is actually GOOD news. Not because having two search committees for head coach is good; it is not good. The exposure of this shit-show is good because it will embarrass those involved on both sides and force cooperation to some extent. I am sure the powers that be are not going to leave. They should, but they are not. Once they fired Long they exposed their agenda – total control and scorched earth approach. It was stupid. They will not admit it, but it was one of the dumbest moves in the history of Arkansas Athletics.

But what is done is done. The BEST news today was the hiring of a consulting firm to help with the search. This is not good news because it helps one side or the other. It is good news because it will expedite the search and impose privacy on the process. While I prefer an open process, this shit-show is beyond that now. There are coaches that will want to talk, but do not want to piss-off their current employers reaching out to other programs for a promotion. The search committee is not subject to FOIA. The search committee is virtually untraceable with plausible deniability for the University and the coaches they seek. This is a good thing. Ignore the Ole Miss outcome. They likely hired Matt Luke because nobody better wants the job going into NCAA sanctions, so they essentially hired Matt Luke as a 2-3 year interim coach until it blows over. We are not in that boat.

So, where are we today as I sit in my office typing this? Well, I think that Gus is a pipe-dream. He may come, but I cannot imagine that this is true if he makes the BCS. Then again, if he does hate some people at Auburn as much as some say, there is no bigger FU than to quit the team as they go to the BCS. Imagine the drama. But really, it is an irrational decision given that he is a coach and we have to assume his dream is to win a NC. But if he loses to Georgia, he may be back in the game. Maybe that is why the AD stated that she expected a hire within 7-10 days – after the SEC Championship game. THIS makes sense.

So, I still think it has been Gus since they fired Long. I also think they fired Long so that Gus could choose his AD as part of his demands to return to Arkansas and show they were “serious” about getting him back to Arkansas. I think our current AD recognizes this and is willing to hire Gus to show she is “on board” but is also preparing alternatives she would prefer if this blows-up. This is in her interest so that she could look like a savior and get the job permanently if she capitulates to Gus or has a reasonable back-up and saves the day at the end.

In the meantime, we have the shit-show. The NWA mafia and some other monied elites outside NWA seeking Gus and our AD conducting an official search in parallel. Embarrassing and predictable given the build-up, firing of Long, and immediate “I am in Charge” statement from the AD.

One final thought. STOP THE FIRE THE CHANCELLOR TALK. How much stupid has to be done before you figure out you need to stop suggesting stupid things. If you think it is a shit-show now, fire the Chancellor. That won’t just make us the laughingstock of ESPN, but will raise concerns about Academic integrity and institutional control at our campus. The NCAA would have every right to ask if our Athletic priorities are out of control and come look hard at us and our past practices. And if that happens, they will find something. Could be a grade change after some extra-credit was done. Could be free burgers at a local joint. Could be free drinks at a bar. But no program is 100% clean. It is impossible. The only way to stay clean is to keep the NCAA from having a reason to look.

More importantly, Accreditors would be interested in the institutional control. They are usually more concerned about the treatment of faculty, but, like at Texas A&M, they get very concerned when there seems to be political pressures outside the established charter of the school. This causes its own set of problems. So leave the Chancellor alone. Stop being reactionary. Instead, pause and think.

giphy.gif

We are fine. This guy hopes it’s a dumpster fire situation bc he wanted his hero Long and Bielema to stick around.

How many of these sky is falling posts are we gonna see?

We’re fine.
Not buying it until I know the hire.

We are fine. This guy hopes it’s a dumpster fire situation bc he wanted his hero Long and Bielema to stick around.

How many of these sky is falling posts are we gonna see?

We’re fine.

Nope. Wanted BB gone after week 5, I think. Long is another story though. Firing him was stupid.

I recommend you actually read the second half. It is the opposite of what you said.

Reactions: Lefty8
Further thoughts.

Jay Jacobs and much of the Auburn Fan Base apparently does not care much for Gus. If true, there will be no political support for a bidding war against Arkansas. Frankly, I think they want BP to come back to AU.

Before hire over/under 25
After hire over/under 78

These numbers were generated using my secret proprietary formula.

Too low.

I do find it amusing they called my post a "sky is falling" post. Far from it. The original post was, but my post today was not. Funny how the failure of reading is correlated with poor information and decision-making.

Reactions: Hog Alumni
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">After Gus won tonight, several coaches reached out saying Arkansas’ search feels like a mess. No one knows who is running the search. Needs clear leadership coaches believe in.</p>&mdash; FootballScoop Staff (@FootballScoop) <a href=" ">November 26, 2017</a></blockquote>

Nailed it.

Now my new thoughts.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Arkansas’ search was all over the place. As Bo says, they are trying to corral it <a href="https://t.co/MuuB8Etkdh">https://t.co/MuuB8Etkdh</a> <a href="https://t.co/KBts4HGc5S">https://t.co/KBts4HGc5S</a></p>&mdash; FootballScoop Staff (@FootballScoop) <a href=" ">November 28, 2017</a></blockquote>

El oh el

Tl;dr

Reactions: SugatownG
So your saying Norvell is the coach I gather

That isn't really what I was saying. I left that unaddressed. But as of today, with Gus likely to stomp a mud-hole in Georgia, I think Norville is the likely coach. Where it gets foggy is after Norville. Considering that the monied elites have gotten involved with their own search, I would bet Kiffin as #3. They want to make a statement that they are in control and want a name if they can't get their #1 or #2.

In states like Arkansas, West Viginia, Mississipi, Alabama, etc.... I will always bet on the monied elites over the University governance. Peoples can have her opinion. They will think that is cute. They will get their man with or without her.

Reactions: mkwsr
Wow, er, you really know how to write a long and messy diatribe full of bull shit. I stopped reading after you insulted those of us who never graduated from college as if we don't deserve to be heard as much as you do. Way to go, man. I may not be college educated, but I've done well in my life, and when I vote it is as a well-informed constituent.

But thanks for coming.

Wow, er, you really know how to write a long and messy diatribe full of bull shit. I stopped reading after you insulted those of us who never graduated from college as if we don't deserve to be heard as much as you do. Way to go, man. I may not be college educated, but I've done well in my life, and when I vote it is as a well-informed constituent.

But thanks for coming.

That is not what I was saying. I was saying that there was a considerable number of people on this board that are fans, not graduates of the UA. That these people are largely non-college educated and vote. And the fact that they are not college educated and vote means that they bring different perceptions and wants to the process (hence the plethora of "we hired a coach" posts). And that like it or not, these voices will influence the decision because their voice and vote matters, even if it often comes from a point of misinformation and reactionary politics.

In short, there are too many fingers in the pie and some of those fingers are not university affiliated. The hog fanbase is very diverse - for good and bad.

Nailed it.

Now my new thoughts.

I got

But thanks for coming.
Yeah— I got lost in it because I have a 3rd grade reading level..is that average for Arkansas? LOL

Nailed it.

Now my new thoughts.

This is a quality melt

That isn't really what I was saying. I left that unaddressed. But as of today, with Gus likely to stomp a mud-hole in Georgia, I think Norville is the likely coach. Where it gets foggy is after Norville. Considering that the monied elites have gotten involved with their own search, I would bet Kiffin as #3. They want to make a statement that they are in control and want a name if they can't get their #1 or #2....

Believe it's Norvell... but, by all means, continue.

The School of Hard Knocks, from which some of us have a PhD, say's, "Hello...."

Nailed it.

Now my new thoughts.

have you paid any attention to Tennessee?.. relax

That is not what I was saying. I was saying that there was a considerable number of people on this board that are fans, not graduates of the UA. That these people are largely non-college educated and vote. And the fact that they are not college educated and vote means that they bring different perceptions and wants to the process (hence the plethora of "we hired a coach" posts). And that like it or not, these voices will influence the decision because their voice and vote matters, even if it often comes from a point of misinformation and reactionary politics.

In short, there are too many fingers in the pie and some of those fingers are not university affiliated. The hog fanbase is very diverse - for good and bad.
Then why not say that? You make us uneducated folk feel insecure.

have you paid any attention to Tennessee?.. relax

I am relaxed. That is why I expressed hope and relief in the 2nd half of the post.

However, it is wise to recognize that we are a hair away from that fiasco the Vols are in. We could have a situation where two different searches propose two coaches for hire. That would not end well for several reasons. The first and most obvious being that the BOT would have to select a coach of popular/monied support versus the "university" pick (the AD being an agent of the UA). Who do they select? Either choice has negative consequences. They would likely select the monied elite choice which is bad because the consequences of losing the monied elite support would be viewed as most negative. However, that will hamstring the future AD and probably limit our ability to "select" the AD we want. Most people appear oblivious to the importance of a good AD. A coach is the Id of the program (win now). The AD is the conscious of the program (balance costs/benefits and maintain program health and sustainability). Both are needed for long-term success. In addition, the drama of going around the AD election would, again, be a Vol-like meltdown on national media. A melt-down that could also cost us the coach that we intended to hire.

Reactions: mkwsr
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT