ADVERTISEMENT

Bert now 0-10 here in games decided by 1 score

Colonel Porker

Starter
Jun 21, 2002
Same old story. We have a slight lead, get ultra-ultra conservative trying to eat clock and totally stop playing football. Other teams gets one last shot because we can never pick up that last first down we need to make this conservative crap work, they shove it down the field in a matter of a minute and win the game.

Please tell me another Division one coach who continually craps their pants at crunch time over and over and over like our does? And who would be stupid enough to hand this man a 15 million dollars buyout? That must have been one hell of a love letter Bert wrote to Long.

Same old story. We have a slight lead, get ultra-ultra conservative trying to eat clock and totally stop playing football. Other teams gets one last shot because we can never pick up that last first down we need to make this conservative crap work, they shove it down the field in a matter of a minute and win the game.

Please tell me another Division one coach who continually craps their pants at crunch time over and over and over like our does? And who would be stupid enough to hand this man a 15 million dollars buyout? That must have been one hell of a love letter Bert wrote to Long.
I don't think we were playing conservatively. We were eating clock by running the ball and doing that very successfully. Those darn penalties are drive killers and need for them to stop. When it was 4th and 3 and had that false start and had to punt, that was the turning point. We make that 1st down, that's the ball game! One other play that killed us was the long pass that setup there last score in regulation. We had a LB trying to cover a WR and our defense looked confused. The coaches should have called a timeout to setup the defense.

Reactions: Ole Hambone
Just saying brother, when you play to keep a game close to the vest instead of installing a killer instinct, that "clock killing and game winning" first down never comes. You end up playing not to lose instead of playing to win and our abortion of a record is the result.
0-10 speaks volumes about closing things out and making good decisions and great plays at crunch time.

I remember when we could score from anywhere on the field and in a matter of a minute or so.

I don't think we were playing conservatively. We were eating clock by running the ball and doing that very successfully. Those darn penalties are drive killers and need for them to stop. When it was 4th and 3 and had that false start and had to punt, that was the turning point. We make that 1st down, that's the ball game! One other play that killed us was the long pass that setup there last score in regulation. We had a LB trying to cover a WR and our defense looked confused. The coaches should have called a timeout to setup the defense.

Nail meet head. I knew Arkansas was toast when they had that poor freshman LB lining up against a WR.

So, what you're saying is. Late in a game.. we should totally abandon our running game and start throwing it all over the place? Like Jim Cheney did? IDK>. that got him fired

Now, when we played Toledo... Did we throw 53 passes? Is that not enough?

So, we should runt he ball down their throats for 3 quarters.. build up say a 14 point lead.. then, rather than shorten the game... extending it by passing? Give them a chance at a pick 6.. or interceptions. I remember when we did that against ULM a couple of years ago.. 3TD lead. and we go for the juglar! And it got us beat.

Bill Parcells once said, If you are losing by double digits you have a personnel issue. You continually lose one score games and you have a coaching issue. You figure it out.
Personally I'll take the coach who took us to a BCS Bowl in year three. You guys keep defending the guy who can't win his non conference cupcake games in year three. Bert is a joke of a coach. Stevie Wonder sees it but our fan base cannot.

Sorry,

Toledo, We pretty much had no choice but to throw because with few exceptions (AC TD run, which was a trick misdirection) when trying to run straight against them we pretty much went nowhere. Plus we are playing from behind most of the game which is sad in itself. Sad, sad situation when your strength is supposedly running the ball with the biggest line in all of football and you get whipped up front by the likes of Toledo.

Against Texas A&M we mixed things up nicely and moved the ball well for a while but when you plan on every single scoring drive you have going 10 plays and 70 yards, you wind up needing a lot of 3rd down conversions and you run the probability that during the course of 10-15 plays you get a turnover or commit a drive killing penalty. Hard to try to take half a quarter on one dive and not make mistakes along the way, especially with our lack of discipline. Not to mention it's the most boring brand of football invented. Why not play to win and go for the jugular instead of hoping to kill clock and play not to lose? 0-10 is Bert in one score games here which should tell you that the game winning first down to kill the clock never seems to come our way.

The bottom line is that in 2.25 years, this man has lost as many SEC games and Petrino did in 4 full years. There's really not much more that needs said about the way Long bent us over. And long past is the excuse that this is somehow Petrino's fault. Emperor Long and Bert own this baby now. Of course Jeff is on a committee so that makes it ok for us to suck to many around here.

Sorry,

Toledo, We pretty much had no choice but to throw because with few exceptions (AC TD run, which was a trick misdirection) when trying to run straight against them we pretty much went nowhere. Plus we are playing from behind most of the game which is sad in itself. Sad, sad situation when your strength is supposedly running the ball with the biggest line in all of football and you get whipped up front by the likes of Toledo.

Against Texas A&M we mixed things up nicely and moved the ball well for a while but when you plan on every single scoring drive you have going 10 plays and 70 yards, you wind up needing a lot of 3rd down conversions and you run the probability that during the course of 10-15 plays you get a turnover or commit a drive killing penalty. Hard to try to take half a quarter on one dive and not make mistakes along the way, especially with our lack of discipline. Not to mention it's the most boring brand of football invented. Why not play to win and go for the jugular instead of hoping to kill clock and play not to lose? 0-10 is Bert in one score games here which should tell you that the game winning first down to kill the clock never seems to come our way.

The bottom line is that in 2.25 years, this man has lost as many SEC games and Petrino did in 4 full years. There's really not much more that needs said about the way Long bent us over. And long past is the excuse that this is somehow Petrino's fault. Emperor Long and Bert own this baby now. Of course Jeff is on a committee so that makes it ok for us to suck to many around here.
'
So, an exciting loss is better than a boring win? We went for the juglar against ULM.. Remember? We had a 21 point lead in the 4th quarter. We threw the ball every play... went 3 and out, 3 and out, and 3 and out... and they scored their 3TD with what? 10 seconds to go to beat us? That was a VERY exciting loss.

Playing to win? doesn't that mean doing what you need to do to win? If have run 70 or 80 plays.. there defense is tired... Why not pound that ball down their throats.. run the clock down and beat them? In my book.. that is playing to win...

There you go citing that one statistic that supports your point.. One number, not in any sort of context pretty much means absolutely nothing.

Petrino did put us in a whole.. then the JLS situation put us in a deep whole to dig out... It is amazing that Petrino signed about 15 WR's in every class... and after JLS.. we did not have 4 or 5 guys ready to step in.. We didn't have 4 guys. we didn't have 3 guys we didn't have 2 guys.. IN fact, we didn't have even 1 guy ready to step in. that is how piss poor BP's recruiting was.

And, if Saban had stuck to his word.. Darius Philon wouldn't have fallen in our lap How many f Petrino's OL recruits are currently starting for us? one? How many of his RB's NONE! How TE"s? not sure..

Very silly to try and say Petrino's recruits all left after he was run off and that's why we are in a hole. NEWSFLASH: I would have left too. If I was brought in to play in a wide open, high flying productive offense and then Brontosaurus Bert was brought in, then hell yeah I'd leave. Why wouldn't you? Players leave all the time when a coaching change is made. That's why we wound up with Mallet, who didn't want to play for Nutt but couldn't wait to get here and play for CBP
And in the SAME three year time frame Petrino had us as one of the top 15 teams in the nation and had us top 5 after year 4.

Now there is hope for Bert. All he has to do is go undefeated in conference play the remainder of the year and then go 8-0 next year and he can catch Petrino in victories in a four year time frame. Shouldn't be an issue for an elite coach, right?

Very silly to try and say Petrino's recruits all left after he was run off and that's why we are in a hole. NEWSFLASH: I would have left too. If I was brought in to play in a wide open, high flying productive offense and then Brontosaurus Bert was brought in, then hell yeah I'd leave. Why wouldn't you? Players leave all the time when a coaching change is made. That's why we wound up with Mallet, who didn't want to play for Nutt but couldn't wait to get here and play for CBP
And in the SAME three year time frame Petrino had us as one of the top 15 teams in the nation and had us top 5 after year 4.

Now there is hope for Bert. All he has to do is go undefeated in conference play the remainder of the year and then go 8-0 next year and he can catch Petrino in victories in a four year time frame. Shouldn't be an issue for an elite coach, right?

You miss interpret. 24 players left Louisville after Petrino left Louisiville.

I'd rather win in boring style. Like say Alabama. Than have 800 yard of offense and lose.

Didn't Petrino prove that neglecting defense in the SEC will not win a championship?

I hope Petrino stays at Louisville for more than 5 years and let's see how he does

Do you remember when Danny Ford was fired? and Brandon Burlsworth asked Nutt to please not use the word "rebuilding" and everybody picked us to finish last in the SEC?

How did that turn out? Yeah! We got off to an 8-0 start.. Nutt took us from the basement to making us relevant and a force to be dealt with in his very first year..
'
Yeah.. that was SOOOOOOOO boring. Judging by that standard. Nutt is wayyyyy better than Petrino ever thought about being. And, Nutt took us to Atlanta..

What was the best that Petrino could do? 3rd in the SEC West?

And after Nutt got off to that 8-0 start did we not crash and burn, losing to Tennessee in the Stoenover game, Lost to Miss State the next week and then our Bowl game? That's hilarious that your effort to defend Nutt is to point out a year we closed out 0-3. LOL OK.
And where exactly is Nutt coaching now?? Seems to me CBP is still getting paid millions to coach football.

And while you're pointing out that BP was 3rd in the west you may want to point out that the number one and two teams in the land were from the same division and we finished top 5 in the country. Still looking for the year Nutt had us in the top ten let alone the top 5. This is getting comical.

But thanks for playing, please try again.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT