ADVERTISEMENT

Bielema and his defense

A

anon_j0hjgb7us6s1a

Bret Bielema has had his ups and downs with his offense but when I look at his staff on offense, it's stability and production , I feel there is a lot of hope for a group we can win with IF..........

If he can have a huge upgrade on defense. At times it has seemed that Bielema just did not get it on defesnse and there have been several rumors of infighting on the staff and even that Bielema is running the defense or at least interferaring.

So I decided to try and take a look at what Bielema has done in the last two-three years to address our problems.

Only time will tell us if he is making the right moves but it seems things started to take a big change when he hired Paul Rhodes. The players liked him and there were some things you could see on the field that showed better coaching.

Now he has gotten rid of a couple coaches that seemed to be a drag and brought in a couple guys from the NFL who are supposed to be really good at teaching the 3-4.

As far as talent, it has been very below what it takes in the SEC since Trey Flowers and gang left so what has Bielema done to address this.

Here is the the class from 2016 (which came after a poor 2015)

DE Briston Guidry-Jonathan Marshall
NG Austin Capps
DE McTelvin Agim
LB Alexy Jean-Baptiste
LB Dejon Harris-Giovanni LaFrance
LB Dee Walker
LB Michael Taylor
CB Britto Tutt
CB
FS Deon Edwards
SS Micahh Smith

That is a solid foundation but we really got hammered by not signing any of great DBs we had visit.They went to LSU, Texas, South Carolina etc.

Now we follow that class with this years

DE David Porter
NG
DE Melvin Johnson
LB Gabe Richardson
LB
LB Kyrei Fisher
LB Derrick Munson-Josh Paul
CB Jarques McClellion- Jordon Curtis
CB Chevin Calloway-Korey Hernandez
FS Kamren Curl
FS Montaric Brown

There may be a few others that end up at DB in the 2017 class.

These classes are not perfect but put together I think these coaches can make a defense that can win in the SEC. Bumper Pool is a great start for 2018.

I think Bielema gets it and has started to address our biggest problems

We will see

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.