ADVERTISEMENT

Bob, this might make you feel better about Global Warming.

Ole Hambone

Hall of Fame
Aug 13, 2002
Shreveport, Originally El Dorado
Global warming stopped 16 years ago, reveals Met Office report quietly released... and here is the chart to prove it

The figures reveal that from the beginning of 1997 until August 2012 there was no discernible rise in aggregate global temperaturesThis means that the 'pause'in global warming has now lasted for about the same time as the previous period when temperatures rose, 1980 to 1996

By David Rose

PUBLISHED:16:42 EST, 13 October 2012| UPDATED:20:21 EST, 13 October 2012

The world stopped getting warmer almost 16 years ago, according to new data released last week.

The figures, which have triggered debate among climate scientists, reveal that from the beginning of 1997 until August 2012, there was no discernible rise in aggregate global temperatures.

This means that the 'plateau' or 'pause' in global warming has now lasted for about the same time as the previous period when temperatures rose, 1980 to 1996. Before that, temperatures had been stable or declining for about 40 years.

Here ya go.

Actually, I just turned on this PC because I saw on FOX a minute ago that NOAA today said that this
September was the warmest Global Sea and Land temperature on record. It also said there have been 30 consecutive Septembers above the century average and 331 consecutive months that the average was above the century average.
They added, the global temperature is now 1.2 degrees above the century average.

So some one sees a difference in the figures, but in my neck of the woods, there surely has been no cooling in the last ten years,

Again, this seems to be another concept of "I am right and you are wrong" Sadly, I know of no way except to wait and see to prove what is what.

But I have lived in this house 25 years and use Propane for winter heat and 25 years go it took three tanks a winter, I have only used one tank the in each of last two years.

I expect it to take some time to be a disaster no matter what the cause is, so we have time to get ready and I suppose with a continued drought, if it occurs, sooner or later we will all agree we need to get off our asses and plan some changes in planting cycles, locations, etc. If we do not, we might need manna from heaven.

Originally posted by bobhawg:
Actually, I just turned on this PC because I saw on FOX a minute ago that NOAA today said that this
September was the warmest Global Sea and Land temperature on record. It also said there have been 30 consecutive Septembers above the century average and 331 consecutive months that the average was above the century average.
They added, the global temperature is now 1.2 degrees above the century average.

So some one sees a difference in the figures, but in my neck of the woods, there surely has been no cooling in the last ten years,

Again, this seems to be another concept of "I am right and you are wrong" Sadly, I know of no way except to wait and see to prove what is what.

But I have lived in this house 25 years and use Propane for winter heat and 25 years go it took three tanks a winter, I have only used one tank the in each of last two years.

I expect it to take some time to be a disaster no matter what the cause is, so we have time to get ready and I suppose with a continued drought, if it occurs, sooner or later we will all agree we need to get off our asses and plan some changes in planting cycles, locations, etc. If we do not, we might need manna from heaven.
What I get out of the report is that yes, we might be above the century average but we've been at the same temps the last 16 years. In other words, the problem isn't getting any worse... it has stabilized. Don't forget, before global warming, we had 40 years of global cooling.

And, one more thing, there are advantages to global warming. Areas that were too cold to farm in can now farm. You're spending less money on heating! That's an advantage for you.

My thoughts are that mankind has the intelligence to adapt no matter what the outcome of the next 100 years of weather cycle is, providing he uses his brain. After all, parts of the Arizona desert was once a forest so change is not the problem, being willing to adapt is. I agree it could be used to our advantage in many ways if we are smart. Frankly, I do not expect a disaster short term, and who knows what it will be like in two centuries.

So I would think we as humans should observe, study and try to determine if first, there is a major problem,and if so, what to do to alleviate it for most people. But what scares me is the two bipolar attitudes, one says we need to make drastic immediate changes or we will all be dead in twenty years, and the other saying, we should do nothing after all it is merely a cycle. I would think we have an advantage over all earlier humans in that we should have learned something from historic events, but man has only been aware of things for a relatively short time and one life span is indeed a blink of the eye.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT