ADVERTISEMENT

CBS bowl projections

Texassss????? Hell No!!!!! why the hell do we keep looking backwards. Tuck Fexas..........if it must be someone from the Big 12 let it be someone frikkin relevant.....like Oki State, Oklahoma..........yeah yeah yeah Texas has improved and every Razorback fan including myself loves to see the Hogs beat them, but seriously we fight for 2 years to become bowl eligible and the first damn team you can come up with is Texas??????????????? God think bigger please.

I saw one projection show Arkansas vs. UAB in the Birmingham bowl. That's one matchup I could care less about.

I have seen Arkansas projected to the Birmingham, Liberty and Music City bowls today. Then if Missouri wins, the bowls get a ripple effect with one SEC team probably dropping out. A couple of different losses in the conference championships and the bowls shake up the other way. A lot can change Saturday. But I would like to play WV in the Liberty Bowl. It would be better than a Sun belt team.

This post was edited on 12/3 2:18 PM by TOP HOG

http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa/sec/arkansas-razorbacks.php

I hate to bust your bubble Raz, but Texas is on the schedule again in 2021...if any of us are still alive by then. But I get your point. Also, interestingly enough, Arkansas plays a home and home with TCU in 2016-2017 and Michigan 2018-2019. Gotta like those.

I didn't just come up with that out of the blue Raz......if you would've click the link up top, then you would've seen the" bowl predictions" was stating that we would play Texas if we went 6-6.
They beat the crap out if us the last time we played them, and then went on to talk some smack about how we chicken out of finishing our games with them, so yeah I would like to play Texas so we can put a beat down on a very overrated program!

All we can really do is sit back and see where the SEC sends us. I'm sure the area bowls like the Liberty and Independence would love to have us since even at 6-6 we would sell tickets, but the conference is deciding who goes where this year, so we may even not go to one at all.

Agree with a previous poster: Music City vs. Louisville would be an interesting matchup.
You all remember Petrino, don't you? I think you would absolutely kick their AZZ.
Would love to see it.

Scheduling them is one thing. I'm ok with that, but a bowl game hell that would be like putting Texas and Texas A&M in the Cotton Bowl just doesn't make any damn sense.

Now TCU...... if both Arkansas and TCU continue to improve hell yes I like that, and Michigan?? Are you kidding me this is what I have been begging for since 1980. We used to play these teams in the 40's - 70's as non cons back then, Miami, Florida State, USC(west), UCLA, even Washington then the decision to play puss teams started because they were seen as "W's" and well even though 99% of the time that's true, but what happens when you have a "The Citadel" and a "Appalachian State". Furthermore how has Michigan, and the likes gotten to the point they are at now by playing 1 team = to Louisiana Monroe the rest are Syracuse, Penn State, Oregon, etc. I would rather us play 3 non-cons = Wisconsin, Arizona, and Michigan, and 1 Tulsa vs the crap we schedule now.

Also if the SEC is to keep its rank as the most dominate conference in football then how the hell do you propose we make that argument playing teams like North Texas, Louisiana (Not LSU) Teams.........Michigan to Alabama, Hey wow you sure beat the hell out of PeeWater U, well hell Michigan you look fantastic against Hole in the Road Tech.....seriously come on. Its a paycheck to these small schools and it does nothing to help Arkansas for example to improve. I would seriously rather play Minnesota and lose by 3 than play UTEP and win by 30. Which one of those games in going to improve our status. You get my point I think.

Me So Hawgie, Yes I read the link, and my response was poorly aimed at the wrong person. I did not mean you. It was directed to those who make these predictions from their ass's. CBS prime example here. CBS is the one that always puts "the Fat Man" Lundequist, a die hard Alabama fan, and Gary Danileson "The Weasel" to color commentate Arkansas games, and they are clearly anti Arkansas to the point their commentary make me puke. We beat LSU and they just couldn't believe it happend to the point they both said "LSU must not be in the mood to play", and then "The Weasel" made this comment I dont know how many times during the Ole Miss game "why arent they calling holding on the Hogs"" every time the Hogs have scored someone has been holding one of the defensive players",or it was pass interference, or "did you see him push off Verne", and these are the people at CBS making those bowl predictions. Thats who my post was aimed at.

I don't think it will happen but I'd love to get Louisville. If we could destroy Louisville, it might shut up the Petrino lovers for a long time.

Hey Raz, I'm with you 100%. I hate playing rent-a-win teams. I'd like to see the Hogs schedule at least two big time teams a year.

Originally posted by TheRedBoar'n:
Hey Raz, I'm with you 100%. I hate playing rent-a-win teams. I'd like to see the Hogs schedule at least two big time teams a year.
How many teams did we play that were ranked in the top 10 at the time we played them this year?

I'll bet, if our schedule was re-ranked... we had the hardest schedule in all of college football this year...

And you really think we need to play more ranked teams? Really?

This post was edited on 12/4 7:02 PM by original hambone

3rd hardest schedule in college fooball..

Yep. I get the point; however, our schedule will not always be the most difficult. Here are some teams I'd line to see rotate on and off the schedule: Texas, Baylor, TCU, Nebraska, Michigan, Iowa, Ok, Ok State, Colorado, UCLA, USC, Ga Tech, UNC, NC State, Ohio State, Boston College, Clemson, Louisville, Wisconsin, ND, all three service academies, Miami, Fl State, Etc. The quality of these teams will be cyclic. They will not always be in the top 10 or even top 25, but they will always be a quality name recognition opponent. Compromise... at least one of these guys, or their equal, every year.

Original..................one word answer............YES!. Our schedule was the toughest in the country this year, and a 0-17 team with that schedule just went 6-6, and beat 3 quality teams in Texas Tech, LSU, and Ole Miss, and is bowl eligible for the first time in 2 years. So yes that is exactly what I am saying and want. I ask you this does playing bs "rent a teams" (love that by the way) make us better....NO it does not. For Arkansas to be the Arkansas of the 30's- 40's - 50's - 60's - 70's, and even 80's they need to STOP with the damn Louisiana Monroe's. I challenge you to go back to the affore mentioned years and look at the non-cons. Yep you'll see Tulsa, but you'll also see Okie St., UCLA, Colorado, Colorado, St, Air Force, Washington, and the list goes on. I actually think the powers that be have seen this as well, and thats why you started seeing A&M being a yearly thing prior to them joining the SEC, now Texas Tech, and most of the Texas schools will be rotating on and off as we go from here on out, but for the other 3 ....dear god please drop 2 of them and add Clemson, North Carolina, anybody but UAB, Southern Miss, UTEP, UL Monroe, and Pee Water U.

Originally posted by razRjag:
Original..................one word answer............YES!. Our schedule was the toughest in the country this year, and a 0-17 team with that schedule just went 6-6, and beat 3 quality teams in Texas Tech, LSU, and Ole Miss, and is bowl eligible for the first time in 2 years. So yes that is exactly what I am saying and want. I ask you this does playing bs "rent a teams" (love that by the way) make us better....NO it does not. For Arkansas to be the Arkansas of the 30's- 40's - 50's - 60's - 70's, and even 80's they need to STOP with the damn Louisiana Monroe's. I challenge you to go back to the affore mentioned years and look at the non-cons. Yep you'll see Tulsa, but you'll also see Okie St., UCLA, Colorado, Colorado, St, Air Force, Washington, and the list goes on. I actually think the powers that be have seen this as well, and thats why you started seeing A&M being a yearly thing prior to them joining the SEC, now Texas Tech, and most of the Texas schools will be rotating on and off as we go from here on out, but for the other 3 ....dear god please drop 2 of them and add Clemson, North Carolina, anybody but UAB, Southern Miss, UTEP, UL Monroe, and Pee Water U.
Before 1992, we were in the South West Conference. He played about 2 tough games a year... We played Texas, always a tough game, and then some years, A&M was good, or occasionally some other team was good. Rarely did we play more than 2 or at most 3 times ranked in the top 20. We regularly beat the snot out of Okie light and Tulsa. Tulsa was always the first game of the year at Fayetteville and our second game was Okie State at LR. it was a rare event for either one of them to beat us. I've been going to Razorback games since the early 70's. I remember playing Colorado State and Air Force. When did we play UCLA and Washington. It was actually pretty rare for us to play power house teams back then... I remember playing USC and California and Vanderbilt.

Every year, since joining the SEC is harder than it ever was back when we played in the SWC. And, it's not even close.

No other conference is as tough as the SEC from top to bottom... The SEC is absolutely brutal. It is a week in and week out grind.

Teams need breathers... They need games where guys can sit out and heal. Games where guys that don't get to play much get to play.. Physical as well as emotional breathers.. A team can only play at it's peak so many games. I don't think we will ever have the depth of an LSU or Bama.

And please, call me hambone. For years, I was a member of the old Pig Pen.. I was hambone there. When I joined the Rivals board... right after it opened. someone beat me to it... Someone took hambone... so, I took original hambone... As far as I know.. the dude took my moniker and never posted.

This post was edited on 12/5 8:01 AM by original hambone

Originally posted by original hambone:

Before 1992, we were in the South West Conference. He played about 2 tough games a year...

Every year, since joining the SEC is harder than it ever was back when we played in the SWC. And, it's not even close.

No
other conference is as tough as the SEC from top to bottom... The SEC
is absolutely brutal. It is a week in and week out grind.

Teams
need breathers... They need games where guys can sit out and
heal. Games where guys that don't get to play much get to
play.. Physical as well as emotional breathers.. A team can only play
at it's peak so many games. I don't think we will ever have the depth
of an LSU or Bama.
I totally agree! I think we need a few of these over-matched opponents
each season -- especially now that they aren't all stacked at the front
of the schedule.

And please, call me hambone. For years, I was a member of the old Pig Pen.. I was hambone there.
I remember the old Pig Pen. Wasn't the guy that ran it named Booth Rand or something unique like that?

This post was edited on 12/5 8:25 AM by STLhawg

Originally posted by STLhawg:

Before 1992, we were in the South West Conference. He played about 2 tough games a year...

No
other conference is as tough as the SEC from top to bottom... The SEC
is absolutely brutal. It is a week in and week out grind.

Teams
need breathers... They need games where guys can sit out and
heal. Games where guys that don't get to play much get to
play.. Physical as well as emotional breathers.. A team can only play
at it's peak so many games. I don't think we will ever have the depth
of an LSU or Bama.
I totally agree! I think we need a few of these over-matched opponents
each season -- especially now that they aren't all stacked at the front
of the schedule.

And please, call me hambone. For years, I was a member of the old Pig Pen.. I was hambone there.
I remember the old Pig Pen. Wasn't the guy that ran it named Booth Rand or something unique like that?

This post was edited on 12/5 8:25 AM by STLhawg
Yes... the guy that ran the Pig Pen was Booth Rand.

I can remember the almost automatic wins over Tulsa and Okie St, neither was as good back then as now, and the biggest part of the SWC was just average. I know my feelings about the matchup I would like to see in Little Rock every year is the minority one here, but I think a yearly game with Arkansas State in LR would generate a lot more interest and ticket sales than any of our recent rent-a-win teams, and I just don't buy into the argument playing them would hurt our in state recruiting, and sure, we would lose from time to time but we do that with rent-a-wins as it is. Remember the Citadel? I also believe they could be more of a rival for us than any SEC team has been so far.

Originally posted by Count Hogula:

I can remember the almost automatic wins over Tulsa and Okie St, neither was as good back then as now, and the biggest part of the SWC was just average. I know my feelings about the matchup I would like to see in Little Rock every year is the minority one here, but I think a yearly game with Arkansas State in LR would generate a lot more interest and ticket sales than any of our recent rent-a-win teams, and I just don't buy into the argument playing them would hurt our in state recruiting, and sure, we would lose from time to time but we do that with rent-a-wins as it is. Remember the Citadel? I also believe they could be more of a rival for us than any SEC team has been so far.
I was at the Citadel game. We don't recruit against Citadel... nor does the Citadel receive ANY press coverage in Arkansas.. Same with those rent-a-wins...

They receive no press coverage in Arkansas.

If ASU ever beat Arkansas... it would legitimize the program.. You'd never hear the end of it...

I was at the Citadel game. We don't recruit against Citadel... nor does the Citadel receive ANY press coverage in Arkansas.. Same with those rent-a-wins...

If ASU ever beat Arkansas... it would legitimize the program.. You'd never hear the end of it...
They're going to their 4th bowl in a row, already sounds pretty legit to me.

Then, why haven't they been invited to be a member of a power five conference?

It depends how you look at it. With so many bowls now, getting invited to a bowl game isn't what is used to be. The number of bowls has literally doubled in the last 20 years!

There are 128 FBS teams, they can't all fit in 5 conferences. Leading up to the NIU game people here kept going on about how consistently good they are year after year, yet they haven't been invited to a power five conference yet either. Would a loss to them be more acceptable than a loss to A State? And if they aren't legitimate then there is even less reason to not play them. We've played teams from their conference and our loss to LA Monroe didn't seem to hurt our recruiting in LA. Like I said, I see no reason not to play them when we play teams of their level and lower anyway, and it would likely sell more tickets. And I don't believe a loss to them would hurt our recruiting and help theirs, we both recruit many of the same areas anyway. But I've said my piece on it and am done talking about it, I knew most here don't share my opinion about playing them and I'm not going to try and change any minds.

There are 128 FBS teams, they can't all fit in 5 conferences. Leading up to the NIU game people here kept going on about how consistently good they are year after year, yet they haven't been invited to a power five conference yet either. Would a loss to them be more acceptable than a loss to A State? And if they aren't legitimate then there is even less reason to not play them. We've played teams from their conference and our loss to LA Monroe didn't seem to hurt our recruiting in LA. Like I said, I see no reason not to play them when we play teams of their level and lower anyway, and it would likely sell more tickets. And I don't believe a loss to them would hurt our recruiting and help theirs, we both recruit many of the same areas anyway. But I've said my piece on it and am done talking about it, I knew most here don't share my opinion about playing them and I'm not going to try and change any minds.
That's right... there are only so many spots in the power 5 conferences and none of the conferences felt like A-State was worthy of membership when the conferences expanded. And, there are teams better that A-State that weren't considered for membership... so bottom line, A-State isn't even close to being legit.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT