ADVERTISEMENT

Chaney to Pitt

cignetti4heisman

Letterman
Jan 9, 2010
Pitt fan here. I come in peace.

Judging from Twitter, it seems like a lot of Arkansas fans are glad Chaney is leaving. What's the general consensus on him? Anyone care to elaborate?

Us Pitt fans are pretty excited for this hire. You guys hung tough with some good SEC West teams this year primarily because of the offense. So why all the hate for Chaney?
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Chaney seemed he wanted to throw on every down although he followed the offensive strategy that Bielema wanted. It was just a matter of time the two parted ways. It appears to me that Pitt will have a wide open offense in the future and Ark will hire a true pro set OC that meets the requirement of having a balanced attack.

We shut out LSU and Ole Miss. It was our D.

Stupid trick plays at worse times. Aborting the run when averaging 5-6 a carry in the first half. Good luck!

Not being rude, but Arkansas has the money to pay assistants and coordinators...Chaney was not at top of list for bump in pay, extension and even a discussion...several other coaches were...I think 7. A big part of fan base was not impressed with the play calling. There is a reason his contract was.... Just sitting. Good luck Pitt fan!

Everytime the game was on the line, he'd shit the bed and go 5 wide. Throw the ball all over the place even though we are a play action team. Good luck with Jim "can't move the" Chaney.

I didn't really have a problem with him but pretty much every hardcore fan I know was hoping he would be let go or persuaded to move along. I suspect he was told to find a job.

Hopefully your fans will take to him and his curious ways more than we did.

Having the #2 defense in the SEC won us 7 games, not JC's offense. He's a good game planner but terrible at in-game adjustments. You'll likely score on you opening drive in most every game. Once the other team adjusts, you're screwed. I think we scored less than 10 points in the 4th quarter of conference games this year and were completely shut out in the 2nd half at least twice. We had two 1,000 yard running backs and he would pretty much abandon the run in the 2nd half.

But good luck. I hope he does well there.

And be watching out for that Tight End reverse.

By the way, everything in this thread was told to us by Tennessee fans when Chaney came to Arkansas. They were happy to see him go then, too. His play calling in the second half is beyond baffling.

He was incredibly predictable in his play calling which made it even harder for the offense to move the football. I feel like his play calling alone cost us at least three games last year. We were lucky that the defense shut out ole miss and LSU. In the ole miss game, he ran on first down and passed on second down about 95% of the time. Have fun!!

I think when Chaney figures out your personnel, you'll have some success. As I was saying before he left, in order for us to take the next step, Chaney would have to get better at playcalling with his back against the wall.

For some examples, we had drives early in the season that would be called brilliantly. We'd be gashing a team for 5-8 yds at a time on the ground and then Chaney would run either a reverse to a TE (crazy as it sounds) or try to get cute and do a reverse that involved a pitch that would get blown up and you'd go from putting a team away early to turning the ball over and keeping the opponent in the game.

Then we had some close games where he really hurt us. You may not watch a lot of Bama, but what they do really well is stick to what they do best bc they have a philosophy that the other team won't take their bread and butter away the entire game. You see Bama's physical play wearing teams down and what might not have worked early in the game is next to unstoppable as they pound away (before Kiffen).

As you know, we run to setup the pass. In three of our close losses this year, we just stopped running the ball. I think we ran the ball 6 times vs. Bama in the 2nd half, 7 times vs. A&M in the 2nd half (after gashing them over and over the entire game) and to top things off, we had a QB that was more that couldn't hit a still target bc his back was hurt so bad vs. Mizzou, and Chaney ran the ball ONE time on the last drove we had to score.

That is the frustrating thing to expect. He panics when the game is on the line and neglects what got him all his points throughout the season. It was very frustrating at times to watch, but hopefully you guys have enough talent at playmaker positions to overcome his shortcomings that will occur at playcalling.

Pitt fan here, we have exactly one wide receiver. This should be interesting. I was wondering how he would use our eight TEs, this should be ..... Interesting.

He prefers a pass happy offense, which he wasn't allowed to run here. If your guys let him have more of a free reign and can recruit players for a heavy passing offense you should be fine, but he never gelled well with BB's type of ground and pound ball.

I am a PITT fan as well. sounds like you guys are as happy to get rid of your staff as we are to get rid of our old staff. change is sometime good for everyone. you guys are like our fan base that most still love old school football of the ground and pound variety. the game is changing and most team are using some variation of the spread or up-tempo offensive scheme. even the NFL is using it more nowadays. hope you guys get the type of OC and staff you want and good luck next season hope you guys can win the conference. I would love to see Saban knocked down a peg or two.

Originally posted by Count Hogula:

He prefers a pass happy offense, which he wasn't allowed to run here. If your guys let him have more of a free reign and can recruit players for a heavy passing offense you should be fine, but he never gelled well with BB's type of ground and pound ball.
Some good comparisons: you guys play "BB ball". which he brought with him from Wisconsin, and we've been playing the same kind of offense that Paul Chryst brought with him - from Wisconsin.

Right now, we're tooled to play the kind of offense as you, with a huge O-line and power runners. I'm wondering how we're gonna adjust our personnel to this new play-calling. It's gonna be interesting.

Thanks for the info, and good luck to you in 2015.

Originally posted by Smashmouth2004:
Chaney seemed he wanted to throw on every down although he followed the offensive strategy that Bielema wanted. It was just a matter of time the two parted ways. It appears to me that Pitt will have a wide open offense in the future and Ark will hire a true pro set OC that meets the requirement of having a balanced attack.
Great. PItt is built to run the ball with big slow run blocking lineman, no QB, one good WR.

Yeah, I don't understand why some of our fans are talking about how happy they are to lose the former staff and to open things up? I wasn't happy to see the former staff go. I thought they were building something good - very similar to what Beliema is building in Fayetteville. Also, anyone who thinks Pitt is built to play a wide open game is out of his cotton picking mind. That is the LAST style of football this team should be playing.

I'm willing to give Chaney a chance but I do not like hearing about him being a pass and trick play junkie. That is troubling news indeed.

No QB....you mean the one that threw for 2200 yards (16 TD, 7 INT) and ran for almost another 500? Pitt was run a run 1st and run 2nd option....the pass was option 3. Hopefully he gets to show more of his arm this year. He is a real talent and a good game manager.

This post was edited on 1/12 1:52 PM by CaptainMurphy

Originally posted by Dr. von Yinzer:
Yeah, I don't understand why some of our fans are talking about how happy they are to lose the former staff and to open things up? I wasn't happy to see the former staff go. I thought they were building something good - very similar to what Beliema is building in Fayetteville. Also, anyone who thinks Pitt is built to play a wide open game is out of his cotton picking mind. That is the LAST style of football this team should be playing.

I'm willing to give Chaney a chance but I do not like hearing about him being a pass and trick play junkie. That is troubling news indeed.
I am not sure how he would do but this is my analysis of him.

He needs a play maker instead of a game manager in order to succeed. His play calling becomes difficult for the game manager to execute in tough situations.

Last year, BA was injured and played all games. Thus couldn't perform. This year's excuse is he is a game manager not the play maker Drew Breese was. At times with the lead, he wants to finish off the opponents. The very trait makes Oregon offensive play calling so potent.

So if you have the QB who can make the plays you should be having a good marriage. Good luck to Chaney and Pitt with the exception of against us.

Originally posted by jefro10:
Originally posted by Smashmouth2004:
Great. PItt is built to run the ball with big slow run blocking lineman, no QB, one good WR.
Yep, that's what we need: a Rutgers fan showing-off his football knowledge on an Arkansas website.
rolleyes.r191677.gif

Rutgers - the team that has produced ONE great football player: Ray "The Knockout Artist" Rice.

Two very different issues IMO.

Chryst and his staff were average, at best, and building nothing of real substance. Wisconsin will regret the hire in a couple years.

Pitt doesn't have the personnel to open things up.

He likes the pass and at times in the second half he has seemed to get too anxious and all but abandon the run game for trying to make things happen with a big pass play. We have run some trick plays but not really enough to make me think he is a trick play junkie, they don't always work anyway for any team, but when they do...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcMCHTl4WE0

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT