ADVERTISEMENT

Clara Goodwin Trash Pile

That’s crap and you know it.
Nah

But seriously, I have no idea how old you are so this may not mean anything to you, but if you were a working professional and under the age of 30 or so, and someone you were doing a story on or whatever referred to you as "young man," you wouldn't take any issue with that at all? That, to me, is the way you speak to children, the kids you're recruiting maybe, people you have a relationship with, it is certainly not a formal way to address someone professionally, is condescending when used in that context, and I wouldn't assume Pitt would do so. To say that saying young man is not OK while saying young lady is OK is saying that women shouldn't garner the same level of respect. Everyone here is plainly allowed to feel differently, but it's ludicrous to try to paint someone as a villain just because she has a different understanding of respect than you. Don't treat people how you want to be treated, treat people how they want to be treated, and if you find that to be absurd, then ignore them. It's very easy.

Nah

But seriously, I have no idea how old you are so this may not mean anything to you, but if you were a working professional and under the age of 30 or so, and someone you were doing a story on or whatever referred to you as "young man," you wouldn't take any issue with that at all? That, to me, is the way you speak to children, the kids you're recruiting maybe, people you have a relationship with, it is certainly not a formal way to address someone professionally, is condescending when used in that context, and I wouldn't assume Pitt would do so. To say that saying young man is not OK while saying young lady is OK is saying that women shouldn't garner the same level of respect. Everyone here is plainly allowed to feel differently, but it's ludicrous to try to paint someone as a villain just because she has a different understanding of respect than you. Don't treat people how you want to be treated, treat people how they want to be treated, and if you find that to be absurd, then ignore them. It's very easy.

calm down young man

There is absolutely nothing wrong with calling a young man or young woman, a young man or a young woman.
If somebody is looking for something to get triggered about, sure. Otherwise, there is absolutely nothing wrong with it. Most people would take it as a compliment.
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

It’s a thing people in the south like to call southern hospitality. It doesn’t matter how old she is/was. By the way I’m 34 years old and wouldn’t have a problem with it. It’s the point that the young people these days always think someone is out to bring them down in some way.
(because so much of the time, they are)

Nah

If someone who was double my age said i wouldn’t be upset in the slightest. You also have to look at the context of where he’s been. That was his first week on the job, I doubt he had a ton of formal media practice. Lesson learned and move on.

Reactions: Joe Thornton
Nah

I would love to meet u at the Alma sonic... I’m triggered!

If someone who was double my age said i wouldn’t be upset in the slightest. You also have to look at the context of where he’s been. That was his first week on the job, I doubt he had a ton of formal media practice. Lesson learned and move on.
Yes, yes, YES, absolutely, move on.

Nah

I have customers call me young man all the time. But IDGAF because I’m a grown up and I understand their context and know there was no malicious intent.

(because so much of the time, they are)

It’s a thing people in the south like to call southern hospitality. It doesn’t matter how old she is/was. By the way I’m 34 years old and wouldn’t have a problem with it. It’s the point that the young people these days always think someone is out to bring them down in some way.

B-b-b-bingo!

Subjectivity is a lying little b!t@h ...and seems to be the norm of all norms in our current cultural climate.

I’m a Gen Xer, so not a ‘boomer’ and not a.. any other generation. From 25-34 i had a boss, in his 60s, who used young man almost exclusively, as in, “This young man, that young man over there,” etc.

And he did it without an ounce of condescension. He didn’t mean it maliciously and i never took it that way. He actually meant it as an affirmation of a job well done.

This whole thing is fkn ridiculous. We have an entire generation that needs to check its ‘safe-space, offended-at-everything, cancel-culture’ privilege and just.shut.the.f.up for a minute. Step back up to the mic when they’ve embraced humility as a guiding light.

Nah

I bet you're really good at virtue signaling on social media. Do you have your preferred pronouns in your Twitter bio?

Nah

ADVERTISEMENT