ADVERTISEMENT

Fayetteville Mayor Receives Award

The same city that now allow illegals to take local government offices?

ugh if only the hogs weren't in fayetteville. lol

I know...no politics...
This was basically one of those things where an attorney is questioning someone and they say something they know they aren't supposed to in front of the jury, and the judge tells them to disregard. They can't just disregard hearing it...They got it in anyway....

Thought this was cool, Fayetteville's mayor received an award for his efforts in fighting climate change. He won for small cities and Los Angeles' Eric Garcetti won for large cities. Good publicity for Fayetteville.

https://www.fayettevilleflyer.com/2...les-mayors-win-top-climate-protection-awards/

The mayor of Fayetteville is a time traveler because I’m pretty sure he fought the Ice Age to extinction. Or was it the Holocene Climatic Optimum or maybe it was the Mini Ice Age. I’ll check on it and get back.

The City of Fayetteville has spent the last 20 years getting it's collective butts kicked by Rogers/Bentonville due to it's love for rules, regs, and desire to be like the west coast. Being a business owner or developer in Fville is ridiculously difficult and costly. When I moved to NWA, if you wanted to shop or dine, you went to Fayetteville. All of that has changed completely. If the UA weren't too entrenched to leave, they would have moved to Benton County too. Not surprised the mayor has garnered some meaningless award for doing nothing that mattered.

The City of Fayetteville has spent the last 20 years getting it's collective butts kicked by Rogers/Bentonville due to it's love for rules, regs, and desire to be like the west coast. Being a business owner or developer in Fville is ridiculously difficult and costly. When I moved to NWA, if you wanted to shop or dine, you went to Fayetteville. All of that has changed completely. If the UA weren't too entrenched to leave, they would have moved to Benton County too. Not surprised the mayor has garnered some meaningless award for doing nothing that mattered.

Hey now, don’t low rate him. We should send him to the Major polluters in the world India and China and get them to clean up their act. Should be a breeze.

Hey now, don’t low rate him. We should send him to the Major polluters in the world India and China and get them to clean up their act. Should be a breeze.

It's cheaper to send some trash overseas than deal with it in richer countries.

Reactions: Chauvinist Pig
The same city that now allow illegals to take local government offices?

ugh if only the hogs weren't in fayetteville. lol

I know...no politics...

That’s actually not true. There’s been some false reporting on the topic. They are allowing legal residents (green card holders) to sit on local boards and commissions like the Active Transportation Committee, Parks and Rex Advisory Board, etc.

Non-Citizens still can’t be on City Council or run for Mayor.

Seems like a good way to engage new residents, add to your volunteer base, and retain talented newcomers to me.

That’s actually not true. There’s been some false reporting on the topic. They are allowing legal residents (green card holders) to sit on local boards and commissions like the Active Transportation Committee, Parks and Rex Advisory Board, etc.

Seems like a good way to engage new residents, add to your volunteer base, and retain talented newcomers to me.

Well, anything to help keep Fayetteville funky.

The notion that the PTB in Fville sees those people as much of anything but PC feathers in their caps or actually values their input, is laughable. They don't fix problems at city hall in Fville, they seek enlightenment.

But they don't even have to be a registered voter anymore to serve on a board. Ridiculous. Let's don't make it too hard for anyone to participate in municipal planning so lower the standards.

Amen to that 777. Fayetteville planning and commission have gone big time. If you aren’t a big money developer then good luck getting a project approved at a reasonable price. They've killed the last several infill projects I’ve tried to complete that IMO would have improved the neighborhoods within. You can’t even touch a large scale development without breaking the bank with their punch list of items required. It’s a bummer that they now cater to the big money, while pushing out local developers that live/love the area.

Amen to that 777. Fayetteville planning and commission have gone big time. If you aren’t a big money developer then good luck getting a project approved at a reasonable price. They've killed the last several infill projects I’ve tried to complete that IMO would have improved the neighborhoods within. You can’t even touch a large scale development without breaking the bank with their punch list of items required. It’s a bummer that they now cater to the big money, while pushing out local developers that live/love the area.

I feel your pain man. I had to deal with them for a couple of years and it was brutal. Even worse was having to sit and watch the poor developers make their cases. They treated anybody not in the loop like dirt.
For ever, NWA was Fville first and then everybody else, even with Tyson in Springdale and Walmart in Bentonville. In the last few decades, Fville has arrogantly and ignorantly become more and more entitled and in their minds, superior to the rest of NWA to the point that a developer or even a private builder has to jump through their maze of hoops perfectly and hope nobody finds a fault in any of it.

You would think with all of the sales tax revenue and jobs they have pretty much handed to their neighbors, they would change course. But they are who and what they are.

The inability to find a damn parking spot in Fayetteville has certainly contributed to the administration’s progress in fighting climate change.

giphy.gif

Some of the most concerned "Climate Change" cities are the most polluted cities in the US.

Garbage and litter line the streets and sidewalks.

Isn't LA having garbage issues and worried about the bubonic plague making a return?

Reactions: anon_j0hjgb7us6s1a
That’s weird because for Fayetteville being so terrible we sure do have a good reputation nationally... https://www.fayettevilleflyer.com/2...-best-places-to-live-for-third-year-in-a-row/

Funny how it’s never Bentonville or Rogers making these lists.

Lioneld and his sidekick Donald Marr need to dig deeper into why we have all these empty buildings on 71B and Dickson Street. Student population has exploded, yet we have that ugly scar of a welcome mat that used to the Mountain Inn greeting visitors. Downtown Springdale, Rogers and Bentonville are seeing large investments come their way via the Walton Foundation and they are transforming their city centers. We are not seeing the same thing in F-town.

Reactions: Pigtrino
I feel your pain man. I had to deal with them for a couple of years and it was brutal. Even worse was having to sit and watch the poor developers make their cases. They treated anybody not in the loop like dirt.
For ever, NWA was Fville first and then everybody else, even with Tyson in Springdale and Walmart in Bentonville. In the last few decades, Fville has arrogantly and ignorantly become more and more entitled and in their minds, superior to the rest of NWA to the point that a developer or even a private builder has to jump through their maze of hoops perfectly and hope nobody finds a fault in any of it.

You would think with all of the sales tax revenue and jobs they have pretty much handed to their neighbors, they would change course. But they are who and what they are.

Here in N. GA, they were trying to push through a bunch of garbage zero lot line housing. Stuff that didn't fit the landscape or the land use requirements. Big developers came in and was bribing the council. We voted each and everyone of them out.

That’s weird because for Fayetteville being so terrible we sure do have a good reputation nationally... https://www.fayettevilleflyer.com/2...-best-places-to-live-for-third-year-in-a-row/

I tend to think they treat the area/region as one (Fayetteville, Springdale, Rogers, Bentonville). It reminds me of the metroplex representing Dallas/Ft Worth.

Just use the airport as an example...it is called Fayetteville, Bentonville and Northwest Arkansas.

Some of the most concerned "Climate Change" cities are the most polluted cities in the US.

Garbage and litter line the streets and sidewalks.

Isn't LA having garbage issues and worried about the bubonic plague making a return?
This is true, but it also makes sense that the most densely populated areas would create more pollution, right? Not a fan of LA other than the occasional Saturday trip (best "cheap" restaurants in America IMO, which is why they had a breakup with Michelin), but I've never noticed trash littering the streets. Maybe in parts you shouldn't be in in the first place, but it's nothing like San Francisco.

Again, Rogers and Bentonville are not in Washington county
I think I am aware of that since I live here. Fayetteville is used as a reference point as it is the most widely known city in this area and has the largest population. Trust me.....awards and accolades are rolling in because of features such as Crystal Bridges and the trail systems that are being supported and built by all the communities in NWA. It is a we thing up here....natural beauty, fantastic economy, university influence, newfound embracing of the arts and downtown revitaization, and increasing diversity of the population.

I think I am aware of that since I live here. Fayetteville is used as a reference point as it is the most widely known city in this area and has the largest population. Trust me.....awards and accolades are rolling in because of features such as Crystal Bridges and the trail systems that are being supported and built by all the communities in NWA. It is a we thing up here....natural beauty, fantastic economy, university influence, newfound embracing of the arts and downtown revitaization, and increasing diversity of the population.
Just seems odd that you would attribute it to Fayetteville being the Washington County seat as a reason when Bentonville is the Benton county seat.

To my point, this was a comment by a NWA local when the award came out recently
:

Why omit the portion that basically says it is the Fayetteville-Springdale-Rogers Metropolitan Statistical Area (a.k.a. Northwest Arkansas), that's considered when it comes to our ranking in these sort of lists. Not including any wording whatsoever in this article that it's ALL of NWA that makes us awesome, makes Fayetteville-alone seem disingenuous and borderline narcissistic.

"Located in a region that's experiencing drastic growth, Fayetteville – together with Bentonville, Rogers and Springdale – has transformed from a small town to a center of higher education, culture, commerce and entrepreneurialism. The area known as Northwest Arkansas is the birthplace of Walmart, the headquarters of Tyson Foods and the home of the University of Arkansas, the flagship campus of the U of A system."

Why not give credit it where it's due, acknowledge the deficiencies, and take thoughtful actions to make true progress for the region?

We still have a lot of work to do, especially in Fayetteville.

Reactions: rzrbk7777
Just seems odd that you would attribute it to Fayetteville being the Washington County seat as a reason when Bentonville is the Benton county seat.
Go look at any old map of Arkansas from the 1880's to early 1900's. Fayetteville is prominent on any of them as the county seat of Washington county. There is rarely a mention of Springdale or Rogers. You are more apt to see Dripping Springs or Spavinaw. You will also see Bentonville due to its place as a county seat in Benton County.

Lets just both agree that NWA is bad ass and go blow up some fireworks instead of typing out crap on the Bert?

Reactions: Hogaholic071990
Go look at any old map of Arkansas from the 1880's to early 1900's. Fayetteville is prominent on any of them as the county seat of Washington county. There is rarely a mention of Springdale or Rogers. You are more apt to see Dripping Springs or Spavinaw. You will also see Bentonville due to its place as a county seat in Benton County.

Lets just both agree that NWA is bad ass and go blow up some fireworks instead of typing out crap on the Bert?
I can get behind that. Happy 4th!

Reactions: Omnivore_O_Swine

Except in Siloam Springs....you can't let off fireworks in that city!

It's not weird if you add just a little common sense to the equation.

What has been

NWA is a relatively new term for this corner of our state and not really a national monicker to those not from around here. It has only been in the last 20 years that it has evolved into what is called a metro area.

For most of the existence of Fayetteville, it has been the biggest town by far in NWA. The other 3 were just small towns. Because of the Razorbacks(think Big Shootout of 69 and Nixon), Fayetteville is the place people nationwide have heard of.

Have you ever heard of South Bend? Athens Ga.? Gainesville? Waco? Norman? Stillwater? Starkville? Manhatten KS? Chapel Hill? Why have you heard of these places? That is why national folks say Fayetteville when they actually mean NWA.

What is now

There was a time when traveling to NWA was a chore from anywhere. Now it is an easy 2 and a half hour drive from LR with a good radar detector. You can fly in and out of there to and from anywhere w/o going through Dallas on a puddle jumper.

When I moved up here 20+ years ago, if I needed to shop for a special occasion or go somewhere nice for dinner, it meant a trip to Fayetteville. Now, NWA Mall is all but closed and the Promenade in Rogers is the new shopping mecca.

There are more and better dining choices north of Fayetteville than within the city limits these days too.

Want to see your favorite band play? That used to happen in Fayetteville, now it happens at the AMP in Rogers.

Like minor league baseball? It's in Springdale, not Fville.

Have you seen the signs of the beginning of a metro skyline in NWA? You know, skyscrapers(not big city sized but not your small town 4 story hotel either)? Don't look for em in Fville, they are in Benton County and multiplying.

Look along I49. Where are most of the gaps getting filled in and where are they staying gaps?

It is easy for national folks to lump NWA in with Fayetteville b/c Fayetteville is a college town most folks have heard of. The truth is, when they say Fayetteville, they mean the NWA metro area. The truth is also that afa as growth in the area, Fville is lagging way behind.

Fayetteville may be listed as the 3rd best place to live in the country, but it is the NWA metro area they mean. Of the 4 towns, Fville is the least welcoming and the most moved out of. And their elitest and entitled city government is the driving force.

Reactions: Lurker_Above
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT