ADVERTISEMENT

Finally Some Reason

NLR school district lifts mask mandate. Not sure how many of you that matters too but I'm celebrating for my boys.
careful-be-careful.gif

Still got a pedophile on staff but at least he can see the face of his next victim more clearly.
Man, I work at a church in town and a couple years ago his son went around to every school and church he could telling people about what his Dad was doing yet NLR still keeps him?

I'm guessing big lawsuit coming for them. My kids are in Lakewood elementary, which is a great school, they will be somewhere else by middle school I'm guessing.

Meh, One of my boys had major tonsil and adenoids issues and spent the first semester with major hearing issues. Can't imagine how hard it is to learn with hearing issues and the inability to watch mouths move.

Meh, One of my boys had major tonsil and adenoids issues and spent the first semester with major hearing issues. Can't imagine how hard it is to learn with hearing issues and the inability to watch mouths move.
Ive lived it every day for the past 2+ years. I am hard of hearing and use lip reading with my hearing, to be able to "hear" at the level I do. Masks are horrible for anyone with hearing loss, but especially for people that use lip reading (for obvious reasons). The mumbling/blockage of the sound plus blocking of lips.. never good. But, if it is someone I've been around and know their voice, I am good most the time. First time meeting them, its like they're speaking chinese. So, I resonate with your son. Hope his hearing has improved or he has adapted and conquered hearing loss. Its tough, but God don't give tough situations to weak people.

The university I go to lifted masks this week. It was such a relief to go to class and see my classmates' faces. Plus, I have hearing loss so having conversations in class was difficult.

I wonder what the statistics will be for developmental delays in children?

Last edited:
The university I go to lifted masks this week. It was such a relief to go to class and see my classmates' faces. Plus, I have hearing loss so having conversations in class was difficult.

I wonder what the statistics will be for developmental delays in children?
Im guessing massive. I saw a speech therapist friend of mine the other day commenting about some national changes in what they consider qualifies for therapy. Her take was basically the government lowered the bar because an entire generation is delayed and they dont want to pay for them to catch up.

Im guessing massive. I saw a speech therapist friend of mine the other day commenting about some national changes in what they consider qualifies for therapy. Her take was basically the government lowered the bar because an entire generation is delayed and they dont want to pay for them to catch up.
That's exactly what they did. I had a class in pediatrics the other day with a presentation that discussed it. They lowered the bar across the board with milestones, as well. For example, crawling is now not considered a milestone for a child's development from the CDC. I asked why and a couple of classmates said they wanted to be more inclusive? It's mind-boggling. So now those kids who are delayed will get missed and insurance will not cover the cost of treatment/therapy.

As for speech therapy, I observed a session last week and the ST had to wear a mask...as well as the child. There are so many things lost for delays in speech for a child without the use of observing facial expressions, as well as having a damn muzzle of their face. Follow the science, right?

That's exactly what they did. I had a class in pediatrics the other day with a presentation that discussed it. They lowered the bar across the board with milestones, as well. For example, crawling is now not considered a milestone for a child's development from the CDC. I asked why and a couple of classmates said they wanted to be more inclusive? It's mind-boggling. So now those kids who are delayed will get missed and insurance will not cover the cost of treatment/therapy.

As for speech therapy, I observed a session last week and the ST had to wear a mask...as well as the child. There are so many things lost for delays in speech for a child without the use of observing facial expressions, as well as having a damn muzzle of their face. Follow the science, right?
The CDC changed developmental milestones (at the request of the AAP Section on Developmental and Behavioral Pediatrics and the Council on Children with Disabilities) for the first time in two decades in order to recognize autism spectrum disorder and render necessary early intervention therapies sooner. It has nothing to do with "being more inclusive." The changes related to crawling, walking, and talking were changed to reflect evidence - for example, it's well-known that many typically developing children skip crawling altogether. The last update was intended to reflect what the "average" child would do - meaning what 50% of children are able to do. This reflects the 75th percentile - what 75% of children are capable of doing and is more language-intensive.

Reactions: Italian Arkie
The CDC changed developmental milestones (at the request of the AAP Section on Developmental and Behavioral Pediatrics and the Council on Children with Disabilities) for the first time in two decades in order to recognize autism spectrum disorder and render necessary early intervention therapies sooner. It has nothing to do with "being more inclusive." The changes related to crawling, walking, and talking were changed to reflect evidence - for example, it's well-known that many typically developing children skip crawling altogether. The last update was intended to reflect what the "average" child would do - meaning what 50% of children are able to do. This reflects the 75th percentile - what 75% of children are capable of doing and is more language-intensive.
Okay, so what about masks? The CDC recommends universal indoor masking for children 2+ years old. If the developmental milestones are more language-intensive, do you not think this will have a dramatic effect for development in that population?

Okay, so what about masks? The CDC recommends universal indoor masking for children 2+ years old. If the developmental milestones are more language-intensive, do you not think this will have a dramatic affect for development in that population?
Oh, absolutely, I agree with that point. The evidence has actually always generally reflected that masking for children is ineffective and possibly presents more hazard (because children, like most people, don't use isolation masks the way they're intended). The evidence has also always been pretty consistent in regards to school shutdowns related to COVID outbreaks - leave it open and isolate/quarantine as needed when folks are symptomatic. This whole thing got political in early days, which is stupid - as someone who has held director/executive level positions within hospitals during COVID, we don't give a fck about the politics. Give me the evidence so I can keep people safe and services still available.

Reactions: Hawg Chief
Our poor children will pay for those idiotic mistakes made by our leaders their whole life. Between the delays of milestones to paying back the 6 trillion of debt.

A total colossal failure by the left pushing all of this BS.

Reactions: Hawg Chief
Oh, absolutely, I agree with that point. The evidence has actually always generally reflected that masking for children is ineffective and possibly presents more hazard (because children, like most people, don't use isolation masks the way they're intended). The evidence has also always been pretty consistent in regards to school shutdowns related to COVID outbreaks - leave it open and isolate/quarantine as needed when folks are symptomatic. This whole thing got political in early days, which is stupid - as someone who has held director/executive level positions within hospitals during COVID, we don't give a fck about the politics. Give me the evidence so I can keep people safe and services still available.
I admit, my response to the crawling milestone was more of an emotional whim. There are just so many processes that occur during the time crawling. However, I have not looked at the research that pertains to developmental milestones. I do know that several classmates/faculty were upset and concerned with it.

My concern is mainly on developmental delays as a whole as it pertains to masking, isolation, virtual learning, etc.. It seems very suspect that developmental milestones that have not had a revision in 2 decades would come amidst the policies and CDC guidance for children/child care after 2 years of everything that has been implemented.

Reactions: Michael Honcho
But even then, "keeping people safe" is never an option. It's just always about risk assessment. Part of the issue with letting the medical community lead this thing is their training nature is going to be to put physical health above all else. I don't think that's a healthy way to live.

The "bubble boy" scenario seemed to be an issue for us

But even then, "keeping people safe" is never an option. It's just always about risk assessment. Part of the issue with letting the medical community lead this thing is their training nature is going to be to put physical health above all else. I don't think that's a healthy way to live.

The "bubble boy" scenario seemed to be an issue for us
Keeping people safe is an option, hot rod. I do it every day.

Keeping people safe is an option, hot rod. I do it every day.
It's all semantics I suppose. We will all die eventually and every choice involves Risk of some kind. You may keep people safer, but always comes with a cost.

Safe is an illusion.

So no interest, cool. Cliff notes: A total sample size of 159K with 113K using ivermectin as a prophylaxis. There was a 44% reduction in infection and a 68% reduction in mortality. I would think anyone connected to healthcare would be interested in such a gigantic and significant study. Guess I was wrong.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT