ADVERTISEMENT

gus

Not Gus' fault, but there was a huge division among Hog fans about Gus, his HS QB and the UA coach at the time.

The fan base actually tried to self destruct and has not fully recovered yet.

No, it was a certain element of the fans acting like fools and attacking the program, ensuring top notch coaches, including Gus, wouldn't want anything to do with us. If Petrino hadn't wanted out of Atlanta so bad we wouldn't have got him either.

Arkansas wouldn't hire Vince Lombardi if he were Ark State's HC.....not saying they would have even if he had been HC somewhere else but wouldn't even consider it while at ASU.

I don't think Gus would have taken the job here; he likes the Allbarn "machine" over there too much. It almost like he knew that Chizik's days were numbered. In fact it wouldn't surprise me if the powers-that-be at Aubby suggested to Gus that he leave to go get some HC experience (in preparation of bringing him back). I always felt his move to Ark. St. seemed a bit odd. I know that sounds like conspiracy-theory talk, but those guys have done similar shady things (like their secret courtship of Petrino).

On top of all that, Gus is a rather polarizing figure in Arkansas -- and last time we had a HC like that (Nutt) it didn't end well.

Gus would have not taken this job. At Auburn he already had the type of players for his offense while at Ark it would have taken him several years of recruiting and not probably getting the same talent. We're happy with our coach as I'm sure Auburn us with Gus.

Several reasons but must of them go back to when he was our OC, and the Springdale 5. College football is not high school, and parents have no voice in if little johnny is getting enough playing time, but basically Gus was subordinate to HDN, and the two of them clashed, and no matter how much you clash you do not use players, and their parents against your boss. Thats all fact, and is documented on why Gus was allowed to leave in the first place. Another FACT for you ...Gus WAS NOT EVEN CONSIDERED for the job no matter what you hear from people on this board. Why in the hell would you bring back someone so damned divisive to a program your trying to rebuild?That whole period with the Springdale 5, Mitchy Bitchy's Mommy Drama, and the childish fans flying banners because they know more than the coach has got to be the most embarrassing period in Arkansas Football History, and I feel as a fan base, and a program we have gotten past the worst of it......well that is until someone comes here knowing why, and then asking why......thats just stirring the pot, and it needs to stop.

Originally posted by rebinark1:
I have a serious question. Why did you not hire Gus when you could have ?

reb- It is simple.... This is Arkansas and this is HOW they do things here in Arkansas. It doesn't have to make sense as long as the rednecks around here are happy. It wouldn't matter if Gus were to win 10 national champs! These idiots that run things around here wouldn't consider him even if he begged to come to Arkansas. Again, the answer is THIS IS ARKANSAS!!!! Football (now 0-14 in conf) program= in the tank; Basketball program = in the tank; Baseball program= in the tank .....oooohh but guess what?! We are #1 in Track!!! Yiiipppppeeeeeeeeeeee

Sounds like poor Lizzy is really upset about Michigan football -- if you can call what that team is playing football. LOL I heard they were giving away football tickets just for buying a bottle of Coke. Talk about a sad state of affairs!
roll.r191677.gif

Originally posted by STLhawg:
Sounds like poor Lizzy is really upset about Michigan football -- if you can call what that team is playing football. LOL I heard they were giving away football tickets just for buying a bottle of Coke. Talk about a sad state of affairs!
roll.r191677.gif
LOL STLhawg.... not upset just frustrated. I was at the game in Arlington. As so many of our other fans that were there, I was teased with a possible "big" win ("big" meaning beating a school that is ranked at least in the top 30) only to GIVE the win away. After spending good money on donations, outrageous ticket prices, and the cost for gas and hotel to go and support this team then to have to walk through an extremely loud and aggressive crowd of Aggie fans as they jeer and hiss at you for being a Razorback fan. You really can't say anything back because you realize that everything they say is correct. We suck!
So yes it really is tough to NOT be upset or frustrated. Furthermore STLhawg, You are correct it is a sad state of affairs when your football team is 0 and 14 in SEC play. I know I know....we are a building program and wait until next year....... Arkansas will be a force to be reckoned with! Yup, heard that many times too. Right now hearing that and all of the other attempts at "candy coating" yet another loss just doesn't work for me.

Then I look at the basketball program and STILL have not gone to NCAA Tourn. Will we go this year? And isn't this MA's 5th year?! ( I honestly don't know, it seems to have been so long since he told us that "meeting the bear in the woods" story at Bud Walton Arena.....you know the same story he tells everyone?!) And then we have baseball where we have been relative at times in the past decade but it seems DVH has just completely given up. Yep, I guess I am pretty upset. It doesn't have to be at Michigan sweetie when what I just stated (facts) about Arkansas is enough to be upset. I wish that my tickets and efforts to support this Razorback Program was only the cost of a can a Coke. Then perhaps I wouldn't be as frustrated as I am. I will gladly drink that Coke. I assure you it will taste alot better than the Jeff Long Kool Aide that we all are continuing to drink. :)
This post was edited on 9/29 8:23 AM by Liza-Bleu

Lizzy, I can understand you being frustrated. I am sure every Razorback fan was after how that game ended Saturday! I know I was in a fowl mood the rest of the evening (and beyond). What I don't understand is how you think constantly bad-mouthing the state and the Razorback program is going to help that!?! The fact you are SO silent when the teams wins then SO venomously vocal when the team loses only make everyone wonder what your real objective is here. If you cannot see that this team has much, much improved improved from last season, then you simply don't want to. That said, we are clearly not "there yet" -- but we are least appear to be headed in the right direction. And I look forward to seeing how this team responds, because I believe it will say a lot about this team.

Beating a team like Nichols State, NIU or even Tech isn't really something to boast about. Beating the Aggies? Indeed. Had we won that game this past weekend and yes that was our game to lose, I would be HAPPY to have come on here and celebrate. STLhawg, I do concur, I do see much improvement in portions of our game. Especially from last year. But I still see a lot of excuse making. And although our improvements have taken us from losing to teams like Ruthgers (NIU and Tech) it doesn't put us on the level in which we need to be. As well as we played Saturday, and we did play quite well for the most part, we still allowed them to come from two possesion behind and STILL WIN!! Frustrating I tell you.

I am sorry that you see my pointing out the facts ( remember your phrase "Sad state of Affairs") about our overall athletic program and the failures of it as bad mouthing the state and this program. As the current and popular saying goes "it is what it is". My frustrations are so much greater than most ( don't know if you were in attendance at AT&T Stadium Saturday STLhawg or not) because I am always there on the "front line" and have been every game and almost every away game only have to time and time again endure the JEERS from the team that just kicked our azz. Face it, this program IS NOT respected by anyone in the SEC other than our own delusional fans! I hear it from them in person everytime we play. I want so much for us to prove them wrong but then time and time again we fail at that endeavor.

My only objective here is to vent my frustrations. There is NOTHING I can post on this board to make others that view this board to think lowly of Arkansas' Atheletic program because the program itself does and EXCELLENT job at that alone!! Granted I may very well be "negative" but clearly I have good reason to be. I do however hope you are correct and I am wrong about the future and that we do become relevent. However, at this point I just don't see it. That is not to say I will stop going to the games and stop being supportive of my beloved Razorbacks ( the team) but with every lost game I will feel compelled to complain about those that are in charge making WAAAAAY too much money for an overall athletic program as we have today.
This post was edited on 9/29 10:29 AM by Liza-Bleu

STLhawg, please don't get me wrong. I like CBB and I hope that he turns out to be an outstanding coach for us. I think he is a great guy with a good heart for his players. It is very hard to pay the money that I pay for the programs at UA with little to no return. I have been doing this for nearly 15 years now and have seen some ups( very few "ups") and downs for the three major Razorback programs. I keep wondering when will Arkansas have a a period of few years where there isn't any controversy, losing seasons, etc. I don't expect a NC, although it would be nice, but I would LOVE for us to attend GOOD bowl games, at least 4 or 5 years in a roll, be contenders for SEC Champ., go to the NCAA Baskeball Tourney, host regionals and super regionals on a more consistent basis. We have some the best facilities in the nation. We are one of the "richest" athletic programs around yet we can't keep relevent in anything. I guess my biggest gripe is against our AD, I just don't see him doing anything to better the program.

CBP was a bad hire to begin with. Even though he gave us ONE great year. His character, unfortunately for us, was lacking. Long had no choice but to fire him for his shenanigans. It was against UA policy. So it wasn't a difficult CHOICE for Long (of which he receives too much praise for). There was not CHOICE in the matter. CBP had to go! At this point none of JL's hires have proven anything for this Athletic Program. Yet he contiues to get praises and raises and our ticket prices go up along with our donations. THIS IS MY FRUSTRATION!

I should add that although I tend to bitch maybe too much about JL and his overly paid salary for what we are getting in return. It does help when I come to this board and complain. I do tend to get better perspectives from other posters such as yourself (minus the personal attacks of course). I, do at times walk away with a better outlook for up coming games like Alabama. My next away game to attend will be Missouri in Columbia which I know if we lose to them and if I suffer through the financial expenses of it as well as the jeers from their fans, I will certainly be back with more bitching. Again, "it is what it is!" :)

This post was edited on 9/29 11:05 AM by Liza-Bleu

This post was edited on 9/29 11:15 AM by Liza-Bleu

I didn't expect you, or anyone else, to gloat over any of our wins this season. But for someone who claims to supposedly support the team so much, I would expect a post or two of congratulations for the team when they do something positive. Instead, it seems the only time you post is to bitch and moan. And implying our state is nothing but rednecks is not "pointing out the facts". Sure we have our share of them, but don't be so naive to think Arkansas has the market cornered on them -- I have seen/met them in large numbers in MANY other states. Speaking of ignorant people, it sounds like the A&M (and other) fans you are sitting around fall in that same category. Anyone claiming the Arkansas football "sucks" after the game this past Saturday is truly cognitively challenged or drunk -- or both! To be clear, I don't claim that you don't have anything to be negative about, but the fact is you are very vocal when negative things happen yet you are quiet as a mouse when the team does anything positive. IMO that seems like an odd way to support your team.

STLhawg...fair enough, BUT can you name a win that we should be abundantly proud of in the last 15 or 16 games? I don't know. Maybe I am missing something here. Beating mediocre teams and "creampuffs" as they say it, doesn't do it for me. Not at the level of money we pay for this coaching staff and our AD. Trust me, there are rednecks everywhere you look in the south and even outside of the south. It just seems that the banner flying rednecks in Arkansas sports have more "strength" than any other state.

Oh as far as my "odd way of showing my support" I do so each year when I open up my checkbook and pay literally THOU$ANDS of dollars through donations, tickets and parking passes to the Athletic program. I feel that gives me the right to bitch a little when we are not doing to well. I did state that for the game this last Saturday we played well for the most part but none-the-less we walked away from AT&T Stadium through a very loud and hostile crowd with a big "L" on our foreheads. Sorry, I can't be "candy coating" happy about that as my fellow fans on here are. NOW! If by chance we beat BAMA I promise you I will be on here cheering and singing praises and eat a little "crow" if you insist! :)
This post was edited on 9/29 11:52 AM by Liza-Bleu

Not just the fact we beat them, but I think the way we beat Texas Tech at their place was worthy of some congratulations. And to a lesser extent, the win against Northern Illinois (ending their 17-game road winning streak) but still worthy of a pat on the back for our team. The Razorbacks easily could have been looking past that game or just come out flat -- like Missouri did at home against Indiana that same weekend. Against TT and NIU, Arkansas controlled the games and squashed their opponents just like an upper tier football team should do. While that's nothing to gloat or boast about, it is something the team should be congratulated for. Arkansas looked like a really good football team for three quarters against TAMU too, but couldn't close out the game -- partly due to self-inflicted wounds. While the team will get no congratulations from me for this game, and I am realistically left with a small glimmer hope. Their next couple games will likely define this team and the rest of the season.

I understand your frustration, Liza, we all feel it, but don't forget the situation we're pulling ourselves out of. We went practically two years without a head coach at all, an interim one year and the failed temp coach the second. Two years of recruits hearing how they wouldn't even know who their coach would be or if they would be a fit for whatever system a future coach did wind up bringing. Recruiting took a major blow and there is no quick fix, it takes time. If the new system CBB brought was similar enough to the old one it would likely go quicker, but it's radically different, but after watching the games so far this year and last year there is a marked improvement. I wasn't really expecting us to play this well until next year myself, so it's very encouraging to see the effort the team is putting in, and that deserves some encouragement from us fans. We still have a ways to go but it seems to me we will back in the thick of things a year sooner than I originally thought.

he interviewed for the job , but we hired bobby petrino instead.
the 2nd time the job became available, he was available but didn't want to be subjected to an interview process.(from what i heard)

when ark announced the bielema hire, the malzahn to auburn hire soon followed.(coincidence?)

it all comes down to circumstances. arkansas/ the athletic department had just come off ncaa probation for lack of institutional control in multiple sports. their ncaa apr rates were dangerously low in 3sports, men's/ women's basketball and mens football. the fact that of malzahn's 4 years at auburn? they were tainted with sec/ ncaa recruiting violation investigations, player arrests and failed drug tests.

gus wanted the arkansas job. a lot of hog fans did too.

it would have been a great hire and would have all worked out for all involved...BUT....

OUR SCHOOL JUST COULDN'T TAKE THAT RISK!! (not so for auburn)

it is, what it is!

Why do you keep bringing up the *Money* you spend? Maybe you need to re-evaluate your budget.
I have been contributing to the Razorback Athletic Fund since 1970....I never look at it as "Am I getting my moneys worth"?
I have been through more *loses *than you have you have *wins*. Will I continue? Absolutely!

Gus could have stepped up and stopped the nonsense that his personal fans and the parents of his recruits were instigating within what could have been a championship team. He allowed things to get our of control and allowed our program to burn when he could have stepped up vocally and with his actions to stop the bleeding so our team could focus on the work at hand. His followers referred to this as the HIGH ROAD. It was cowardly, selfish and self centered and it burned his bridges back to Arkansas.

This post was edited on 9/30 11:14 AM by PeteJC

Cause our AD is an idiot who thought firing the best coach we've ever had wasn't enough, he then had to give the keys to Petrino's High Flying Machine to the Village idiot, JLSmith. (SMILE) before bringing in Bert.

But a winless conference season later, the only thing Jeff Long has done for his destruction of the program is profit heavily from it. The more we lose the more the idiots on the hill give him another raise.

Auburn placed Gus at Arkansas State for a reason. They knew Arkansas would never offer a A-state coach. He needed success as a HC before Auburn could sell him to their boosters. The whole CFB world knew Auburn would fail without him. Had Gus taking a job anywhere else, he would have probably got an interview. I believe Auburn and Gus had it planned all along. Just as Auburn tried to make a secret plan with Bobbie. Arkansas made the best hire possible with JLS Mucking up the product. One thing for sure, CBB is building his team from the ground up. He has a very strong foundation that is ready for a team to be built over the next 2 years. Not one that falls apart after the last players from the previous coach depart. No matter what is said, BP's Arkansas team was losing lug nuts and the wheels were coming off. Yes he recruited a handful of good players each year. Not once did he have a good overall class. Not once did he have a top 50 defensive class. Then he took the best players and put them on offense. So I like what I am seeing so far with recruiting. If the change from year 2 to year 3 is as good as year 1 to year 2, Arkansas will be a SEC title contender in CBB's 3rd year. Which will be 2 years quicker than most fans thought. Add to that the class coming in and the 2016 instate class might be even better. Going to be hard to talk down CBB and have any Arkansas fan take you serious.

Colonel, move on from the Petrino era already, geez you have beat that dead horse long enough.

I completely agree with you on JLS fiasco. That was a cluster of epic proportions and our AD should have been held accountable.

CBB faces a complete rebuilding job, the team was devoid of talent when he took over and he has things moving in the right direction, give him a chance.

As for the original topic of this thread, the fan base is too divided to hire Gus, half love him, half hate him.

If UA had hired Gus who had been at ASU all of 1 year, there would have gunfire in this state. And bad feelings between two schools for decades and longer. ASU folks would NEVER have forgiven UA for stealing Gus.

Originally posted by hogfan1964:

Colonel, move on from the Petrino era already, geez you have beat that dead horse long enough.

I completely agree with you on JLS fiasco. That was a cluster of epic proportions and our AD should have been held accountable.

CBB faces a complete rebuilding job, the team was devoid of talent when he took over and he has things moving in the right direction, give him a chance.

As for the original topic of this thread, the fan base is too divided to hire Gus, half love him, half hate him.
HDN had to go... he could no longer do his job because the fan base was just too divided... Divided between him and Gus...

Hire Gus and you'd have had the flip side of the same problem...

Originally posted by Colonel Porker:

Cause our AD is an idiot who thought firing the best coach we've ever had wasn't enough, he then had to give the keys to Petrino's High Flying Machine to the Village idiot, JLSmith. (SMILE) before bringing in Bert.

But a winless conference season later, the only thing Jeff Long has done for his destruction of the program is profit heavily from it. The more we lose the more the idiots on the hill give him another raise.
At least for one week we will miss you after the Bama game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT