ADVERTISEMENT

I believe the aTm game is a fire the loser game

TOP HOG

All-Conference
Jun 11, 2002
The losing coach will probably finish out the year. Those that believe CBB is safe, don't remember Nutt. Long isn't needed to fire CBB. The fans can do it without him. UA caved to the fans with Nutt. Now they can't put that cat back in the bag. Look for planes and black shirts if the HOGS lose. The fans might wait until the end of the season. But next year, look out if CBB is still here with a loss or less than 8 wins. The rumbling has already started. The only coach we will be able to get is TT.

Seems to me Bert will get to coach through the end of the year but it is hard to see how we will have a winning record. Given that, I believe Long releases him within hours of if not minutes after the Mizzou game ends.
In that case everyone wins. Bert gets to walk away with a nice package, we as fans get the chance to regain excitement with the promises of a new coach and Long gets another 5 years to tell us how the new coach needs 5 years to determine success.
The biggest risk? Long picking the new head coach.
To the new coach: Want to garner support and reunite the state?
Tell Long you will only take the job if the Razorbacks play ASU either on a home and home basis or in Little Rock OR announce that the Razorbacks will sign a long term deal to play an SEC opponent every year in Little Rock.

ASU would be the perfect Little Rock game. If the HOGS move from Little Rock, ASU is going to move in and go after the central and southern Arkansas fans.

ASU would be the perfect Little Rock game. If the HOGS move from Little Rock, ASU is going to move in and go after the central and southern Arkansas fans.

I think you are absolutely spot on. If Arkansas vacates War Memorial the guys at ASU should take advantage of that. I have gone to Arkansas games in War Memorial since I was 13. (I am 60 now) Long does not care about people like me and this is not all about money. I will become an ASU fan if they will take us central Arkansas people in.
Thanks

They probably could, but waiting for the Northwest Arkansas Razorbacks to abandon central and south Arkansas fans makes much more sense.

I don't see that happening.

I grew up in South Arkansas and currently live in Shreveport

The only way I go to an ASU game is MAYBE if they played in Shrevport.

The only reason I drive 4 hours to see a college football game is because the Razorbacks are playing. Im not making that trip to see anybody else play.

I don't see that happening.

I grew up in South Arkansas and currently live in Shreveport

The only way I go to an ASU game is MAYBE if they played in Shrevport.

The only reason I drive 4 hours to see a college football game is because the Razorbacks are playing. Im not making that trip to see anybody else play.
Man, I can't blame you for that. After 2018 add another 2.5 hours and couple of hundred bucks to your trip to see the Northwest Arkansas Razorbacks. If they keep putting a bad product on the field not many people are going to make that trip.
Lets make it clear: This is not about the players, they deserve our support. This is about an AD that is dividing the state and not uniting it and a coach that has never lived up to his promises.
The AD should have been Terry Don Phillips. Long was the wrong guy, that is clear now more than ever.

Man, I can't blame you for that. After 2018 add another 2.5 hours and couple of hundred bucks to your trip to see the Northwest Arkansas Razorbacks. If they keep putting a bad product on the field not many people are going to make that trip.
Lets make it clear: This is not about the players, they deserve our support. This is about an AD that is dividing the state and not uniting it and a coach that has never lived up to his promises.
The AD should have been Terry Don Phillips. Long was the wrong guy, that is clear now more than ever.

I used o be a seadon ticket holder at LR and Fayetteville. Did it for 20 years.

Making that 6 hr drive to Fayetteville was OK when it was 3 times a year. It was OK 4 times a year. When it went to 5 times... it got tough. Especially on back to back weekends. VERY hard to leave Shreveport at 6pm and get to a noon or even 11am kickoff.

Then, the straw that broke the camels back. They moved my parking pass from directly across from the stadium to down past Bud Walton Arena. We had small children at the time. Had the same parking pass for 19 years. So, I asked that my seating be moved commensurate with my foundation contribution. Said they couldnt just move people down.. "well, you damn sure moved my parking down! You can move them too',

When I dropped Fayetteville tickets, I naturally cut my foundation contribution way down.

When I go to Fayetteville, I just buy tickets outside the stadium.

I will not criticize the coach or AD in a public forum. I believe in giving him all the suppirt I can publically. I do not want to undercut the program. Dont want to make coaches job anymore difficult. I will send tge AD a note after the season if I feel the need for change.

I used o be a seadon ticket holder at LR and Fayetteville. Did it for 20 years.

Making that 6 hr drive to Fayetteville was OK when it was 3 times a year. It was OK 4 times a year. When it went to 5 times... it got tough. Especially on back to back weekends. VERY hard to leave Shreveport at 6pm and get to a noon or even 11am kickoff.

Then, the straw that broke the camels back. They moved my parking pass from directly across from the stadium to down past Bud Walton Arena. We had small children at the time. Had the same parking pass for 19 years. So, I asked that my seating be moved commensurate with my foundation contribution. Said they couldnt just move people down.. "well, you damn sure moved my parking down! You can move them too',

When I dropped Fayetteville tickets, I naturally cut my foundation contribution way down.

When I go to Fayetteville, I just buy tickets outside the stadium.

I will not criticize the coach or AD in a public forum. I believe in giving him all the suppirt I can publically. I do not want to undercut the program. Dont want to make coaches job anymore difficult. I will send tge AD a note after the season if I feel the need for change.

I agree with everything you are saying except the last paragraph.
Jeff Long made it clear in the Little Rock Touchdown Club that if the fans did not support the program after the War Memorial decision it would hurt the program. He has publicly said our state should not be divided by playing ASU. If the Northwest Arkansas Razorbacks AD is going to publicly start laying blame on the fans for potential loss of support or preach to us about not playing ASU when they play teams of lower quality I feel obligated to speak out.
Seems like an unprecedented number of fans are doing the same thing.
By the way, if you want to see a real game day experience go to Ole Miss, Alabama, Auburn or Miss State and note how the campus's are covered in tents, people, activities, tailgating and vendors. Since most Arkansas people have only been to Arkansas for a game they don't understand how anemic the Fayetteville game day experience is.

The
Jeff Long made it clear in the Little Rock Touchdown Club that if the fans did not support the program after the War Memorial decision it would hurt the program. He has publicly said our state should not be divided by playing ASU. If the Northwest Arkansas Razorbacks AD is going to publicly start laying blame on the fans for potential loss of support or preach to us about not playing ASU when they play teams of lower quality I feel obligated to speak out.
By the way, if you want to see a real game day experience go to Ole Miss, Alabama, Auburn or Miss State and note how the campus's are covered in tents, people, activities, tailgating and vendors. Since most Arkansas people have only been to Arkansas for a game they don't understand how anemic the Fayetteville game day experience is.
fans do not support the hogs now in little Rock so why would they support ASU. I guess all the rednecks could still go and raise hell outside the stadium. Stupid post from both you guys.

The

fans do not support the hogs now in little Rock so why would they support ASU. I guess all the rednecks could still go and raise hell outside the stadium. Stupid post from both you guys.
Given most of your ridiculous post your comment is not surprising. You are right though that fewer and fewer people are supporting the hogs.
Did you ever move? Hopefully you don't live her anymore!!!

Seems to me Bert will get to coach through the end of the year but it is hard to see how we will have a winning record. Given that, I believe Long releases him within hours of if not minutes after the Mizzou game ends.
In that case everyone wins. Bert gets to walk away with a nice package, we as fans get the chance to regain excitement with the promises of a new coach and Long gets another 5 years to tell us how the new coach needs 5 years to determine success.
The biggest risk? Long picking the new head coach.
To the new coach: Want to garner support and reunite the state?
Tell Long you will only take the job if the Razorbacks play ASU either on a home and home basis or in Little Rock OR announce that the Razorbacks will sign a long term deal to play an SEC opponent every year in Little Rock.
I'm good with playing an ASU game in Little Rock, but for me, I don't care if they ever play or not. I don't know why anyone else does either. Hogs have nothing to gain from the game. OK keeping some money in state is a good thing, but It's not going to win new fans for either team. We like who we like. Right now, Hogs are still top dog. Nowhere to go but down. Not interested in that game at that expense.

I believe in the ole bromide, "praise in public, criticize in private."

I have been to multiple games at all those stadiums as well as LSU.

Anybody who think BB will be fired this year are fooling themselves. He has a 12 million dollar buyout. To my knowledge that would be the largest buyout in college football history. Do you really think Jeff Long is going to do that? I agree he needs to go, but there is no way he is fired this year. Arkansas is 2 years away from a coaching change.

When that coaching actually happens, it would behoove Arkansas to hire a coach who has ties to the state of Texas and has demonstrated an ability to recruit the state of Texas. And who will play a style of football that those kids want to play in. Most of the high level talent in Texas are playing in up-tempo spread offenses. And for those of you who will say that type of football can't work in the SEC. Go back and look at the teams who have beat Bama recently. All are up-tempo spread offenses with a mobile quarterback.

HOGS have the money to buy out BB. He would probably take another job which would stop any payments that he would be getting. Again Long really has no say, if the board says he is fired, he is fired. And the members of the board can be bought for just a couple thousand dollars, like they were with HDN.

HOGS have the money to buy out BB. He would probably take another job which would stop any payments that he would be getting. Again Long really has no say, if the board says he is fired, he is fired. And the members of the board can be bought for just a couple thousand dollars, like they were with HDN.

If they have the money, then why are they financing the stadium renovation? I don't think they have that kind of money just laying around to pay someone to go away. And you're fooling yourself if you think Jeff Long doesn't have a say. He has incredible influence with many board members.

Anybody who think BB will be fired this year are fooling themselves. He has a 12 million dollar buyout. To my knowledge that would be the largest buyout in college football history. Do you really think Jeff Long is going to do that? I agree he needs to go, but there is no way he is fired this year. Arkansas is 2 years away from a coaching change.

When that coaching actually happens, it would behoove Arkansas to hire a coach who has ties to the state of Texas and has demonstrated an ability to recruit the state of Texas. And who will play a style of football that those kids want to play in. Most of the high level talent in Texas are playing in up-tempo spread offenses. And for those of you who will say that type of football can't work in the SEC. Go back and look at the teams who have beat Bama recently. All are up-tempo spread offenses with a mobile quarterback.
You are overstating the impact of the buyout. Arkansas has 115 million a year in revenue and the buyout can be amortized over 5 years. That's a little less than 2.5 million a year or about 2% of the annual revenue number. These numbers do not include the Razorback Foundation capability to assist or the potential upside of hiring a coach that reinvigorates the fan base.
This is not like writing a one time check for 12.5 million.
Pull the trigger 1 hour after the Missouri game ends.

If they have the money, then why are they financing the stadium renovation? I don't think they have that kind of money just laying around to pay someone to go away. And you're fooling yourself if you think Jeff Long doesn't have a say. He has incredible influence with many board members.
They are using stadium to raise the money to pay for it. Why spend school money when fans will donate the funds. The Razorback foundation has hundreds of millions and will buy out if needed. Spread it out over a few years which would stop if CBB takes another job. Might get out of it for less than 3 million.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/coaches/bret-bielema-1.html#coaches::none

When I look at this there is one glaring stat on here that to me, tells the whole story. SOS. While at Wisconsin, he faced average competition, at best. 5/7 years the SOS is just slightly above average or below average. Of those 5 years, 2007 was his worst year with an overall record of 9-4. In 2008 and 2012 he saw an uptick in the strength of the competition that he faced. His win/loss record reflected that. Going 7-6 in 2008 and 8-5 in 2012. He also went to three straight Rose Bowls. How does an 8-5 team end up play for the Rose Bowl? It's really quite simple. The Big 10 was down. OSU and Penn St. were on NCAA sanctions. OSU went 12-0 that year, but because of the post season ban, could not play in the Big 10 championship game. That game included Wisconsin and Nebraska with the winner going to the Rose Bowl. Nebraska had already beating Wisconsin in the regular season, but Wisconsin won that game and it was off to Pasadena.

Now take a look at the SOS he has had while at UofA. While at Wisconsin his average SOS was .41. So far, His average SOS here is 5.09! Guess what razorback fans, what you've seen over that past 4.5 years, is all you will ever get out of this coach. He is an average coach, at best. This should be his last season here. With a record of 26-28 and 10-23, there should be no argument. Hell, Vandy and Kentucky would fire a coach with a better record than that, why is this even being talked about? And spare me the $15 million (does not drop to $12 mil, until Jan 1 2018), they have the money. Some of you act like the UofA Athletics is broke! They consistently place in the top 20 of most revenue.

Last edited:
Did some research on google. According to a business week article the U of A made
1. donations-25 million
2 licensing-49.5 million
3. football (3 year average) 61 million per year
4. UA was the 14th wealthiest program in the NCAA

Not saying these #'s are 100% accurate but if they are anywhere close paying CBB to go away would be easily affordable and in my opinion money well spet.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT