ADVERTISEMENT

Is it time to restructure the SEC football teams.

TOP HOG

All-Conference
Jun 11, 2002
Maybe north and south. It is getting to the point where the SEC will keep its self out of the championship. It just about happened this year. Soon the SEC champion will be the best team and a team that would be average in the SEC will get the NC. Stoops ran his mouth and I don't believe OU would have gotten to 500 in the SECW.. I don't think 2,3 or 4 would have made it if they played in the SEC. Sure they could have beat SEC teams. But after playing through the season, all would have less players and 2 or more losses. I would rather be in the SEC than any other conference. But Arkansas could get to the playoff a lot easier in another conference. That is why a 4 team playoff still does not mean the NC is the best team. Maybe the schedule should be each SEC team plays 4 teams from each division. Then rotate every 2 years. And the games teams want to keep get played as OOC games, when they rotate off the schedule.

I agree top hog, If LSU keeps Les they need to join the Big 10 or go independent as they will never make the playoffs in the SEC. BTW belated congrats on your team's impressive win.

I think it should be 8 teams, five champions of the big conferences and three at large. There will always be arguments but if we have an official champion, it would take I think an 8 team format.

One thing I do not know and have asked, is the winner of this playoff the NCAA Official champ, or just another MNC?

Bobhawg, I agree to a point, with your assessment. I think the present format creates more problems then it solves in some ways. I favor a 6-team playoff with simply the best teams as determined by a method agreed to by the members of the power 5 conferences.

The problem with a six team format is you would have to have a bye. An 8 team format gives you a three week playoff.
And it might also be necessary to eliminate off weeks for all teams to keep the season from running too long.

To me as long as any group of people is allowed to pick and choose who plays then the championship will always be mythical, until teams earn their way in by winning their conference championship. I feel only conference champs should play in a championship playoff.

Let's see, north and south using strictly geographic location would be, if the map I'm looking at is accurate"

North South

Arkansas Alabama
Kentucky Auburn
Missouri Florida
Ole Miss Georgia
South Carolina LSU
Tennessee Miss St.
Vanderbilt Texas A&M

This will never happen. You think the SEC East and West are out of whack, the SEC South is even stronger than the present SEC West with Florida and Georgia taking the places of Arkansas and Ole Miss. With the North-South scenario, Arkansas has a chance to win the SEC North every year.

No, it won't. The only talk I've heard about any changes was just among fans and all that was just about possibly having Missouri and Auburn swap spots.

Add two more teams. 16 teams - 4 divisions. (I'd prefer Ok and Ok State but that won't happen)
(UNC/Duke/Virginia/Va Tech/East Carolina/UCF/Memphis/Tulsa)

Scenario 1: (with 8 conference games)
You play your division teams that is 3 conference games.
You play two cross PERMANENT rivals. That is 5.
You play 1 rotating team from other divisions who are not permanent rivals. That is 3 more. total is 8 now.

Scenario 2: (with 9 conference games)
You play your division teams that is 3 conference games.
You play 2 rotating team from other divisions. That is 6 more. total is 9 now.

Depending on the teams added we can swap teams in and out from the division.

Mizzou and Auburn won't spots because the Tennessee and Alabama bases will want no part of that. I could see Mizzou and Vandy going to the SEC West for Auburn and Alabama to the SEC East.

That would satisfy the preservation of the rivalries (Ole Miss-Vandy, Tenn-Alabama, UGA-Auburn) and revive two lost rivalries. Auburn-Florida and Auburn-Tennessee would come back.

SEC East: Georgia, Florida, Alabama, Auburn, Tennessee, Kentucky, South Carolina
SEC West: Mizzou, Vandy, A&M, Ole Miss, Miss State, LSU, Arkansas

The East and West crossover games would change obviously. Tennessee and Vanderbilt would maintain their rivalry. The SEC league office would have to choose between keeping Alabama-Miss State or Alabama-LSU as an annual affair. The preference will likely be Alabama-LSU and Miss State maintains the rivalry with UK.

It's also possible that if they do ever expand to 16 teams they could add a couple of eastern teams and put Missouri in the west then.

At this point if they do not add anymore schools to the SEC the only thing that makes sense and wont happen is for Auburn to go to the East and Missouri to the West. Then is they add 2 to the East then either Vandy or Tenn and Missouri to the West. North / South option looks good but doesn't make much sense.

SEC North
Arky, Mizzu, Ky, Vandy Tennessee. S/C and Ole Miss

\LET THE BATTLES BEGIN UNTIL THERE IS BUT ONE LONE VICTOR STILL STANDING UPON THE FIELD OF GLORY

SEC South
TAM, LSU, Miss State, Bammer, Auburn and F-U & JaWGA

Originally posted by -MDVOL:
SEC North
Arky, Mizzu, Ky, Vandy Tennessee. S/C and Ole Miss

\LET THE BATTLES BEGIN UNTIL THERE IS BUT ONE LONE VICTOR STILL STANDING UPON THE FIELD OF GLORY

SEC South
TAM, LSU, Miss State, Bammer, Auburn and F-U & JaWGA
Tenn Admins will not allow this. They have to schedule Bama, UGA, Florida every year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT