ADVERTISEMENT

Lebron James...

I would love to be a “slave” if it meant I was paid millions of dollars...:rolleyes:

This word is thrown around far too often these days.
That's the thing about is quote I really didn't understand..just doesn't make sense and you hit the nail on the head brother!

You can do that without having a paternalistic slave owner mentality.
LeBron equated expecting employees to fall in line with slave owner mentality. So in his world, expecting employees to do the job the boss tells them to is like slave ownership. And I suppose if you take the getting millions of dollars for your time served it is, just like every other job.

I assure you no NFl owners are attempting to split families, physically beat players, breed the best players, or killing them because they feel like it. Nobody has been forced to do a single thing, just come to a financial agreement. They can go work for the CFL or whatever other business they can get employed by if they would like. That's not slave mentality, it's business.

Even LeBron should know he went way too far and said something incredibly insensitive to anyone involved in actual slavery.

Reactions: nm33091992
LeBron equated expecting employees to fall in line with slave owner mentality. So in his world, expecting employees to do the job the boss tells them to is like slave ownership. And I suppose if you take the getting millions of dollars for your time served it is, just like every other job.

I assure you no NFl owners are attempting to split families, physically beat players, breed the best players, or killing them because they feel like it. Nobody has been forced to do a single thing, just come to a financial agreement. They can go work for the CFL or whatever other business they can get employed by if they would like. That's not slave mentality, it's business.

Even LeBron should know he went way too far and said something incredibly insensitive to anyone involved in actual slavery.
No one has ever been traded and forced to move their entire family with no say so. I don’t think you can say that is true. That being said, they are also making millions and it comes with the job.

I don’t see how anyone can speak to what any player experiences. None of us have been there. No one knows the conversations that go on behind closed doors. Look at what happened just a few years ago with Sterling? Not like that was 50 years ago.

I don’t agree with what he said here, but I do have a problem with people simply dismissing what anyone says without any consideration. (Insert he hasn’t earned my consideration response). Very dangerous way of thinking. Especially when the media title often puts a slant in the heading that causes you to form an opinion.

Bottom line is they aren’t slaves, period. That being said it doesn’t do any good to simply dismiss anyone who claims to feel oppressed simply because that is becoming more mainstream. I would fear missing the person actually reaching out.

Reactions: KarlPorkington
No one has ever been traded and forced to move their entire family with no say so. I don’t think you can say that is true. That being said, they are also making millions and it comes with the job.

I don’t see how anyone can speak to what any player experiences. None of us have been there. No one knows the conversations that go on behind closed doors. Look at what happened just a few years ago with Sterling? Not like that was 50 years ago.

I don’t agree with what he said here, but I do have a problem with people simply dismissing what anyone says without any consideration. (Insert he hasn’t earned my consideration response). Very dangerous way of thinking. Especially when the media title often puts a slant in the heading that causes you to form an opinion.

Bottom line is they aren’t slaves, period. That being said it doesn’t do any good to simply dismiss anyone who claims to feel oppressed simply because that is becoming more mainstream. I would fear missing the person actually reaching out.
LeBron is talking about himself. He is speaking about a situation he isn't even in. Also when I said split famlies I'm not talking about move or lose your job, again that's business. I'm talking steal your children and sell them to someone else, take your wife and give her away as a sex slave and then force you to breed with someone else so you can rinse and repeat.

Slavery was terrible, what these players are dealing with isn't even close and shouldn't be in the same conversation. The only reason it is stated in such a way is for attention.

LeBron is talking about himself. He is speaking about a situation he isn't even in. Also when I said split famlies I'm not talking about move or lose your job, again that's business. I'm talking steal your children and sell them to someone else, take your wife and give her away as a sex slave and then force you to breed with someone else so you can rinse and repeat.

Slavery was terrible, what these players are dealing with isn't even close and shouldn't be in the same conversation. The only reason it is stated in such a way is for attention.
You said no one has been forced to do a single thing. That is where the moving comes in. I agree it is an asinine position for him to take. He also said owners not owner. He isn’t just taking about himself.

You said no one has been forced to do a single thing. That is where the moving comes in. I agree it is an asinine position for him to take. He also said owners not owner. He isn’t just taking about himself.
Trades aren't forced. You can quit your job. That's where freedom comes in. Not one thing forced, only agreed upon.

Again, you’re comparing the player to the slave. That wasn’t his comparison, it was the mentality of the owner. I’m sure he would admit that it’s not a 100% parallel. But with a bunch of mostly old white dudes telling a bunch of young African Americans to shut up and do what they are told has a certain feel to it. And slave owner, while not 100% accurate, is a decent analogy with a bit of hyperbole.

Again, you’re comparing the player to the slave. That wasn’t his comparison, it was the mentality of the owner. I’m sure he would admit that it’s not a 100% parallel. But with a bunch of mostly old white dudes telling a bunch of young African Americans to shut up and do what they are told has a certain feel to it. And slave owner, while not 100% accurate, is a decent analogy with a bit of hyperbole.
So Robert Craft is good?

Oh, come off it. It’s not even close to the same thing.

Wonder what Mr James would have been in life if he didn’t have athletic skills to go along with that High School education? It’s remarks like that that show his intelligence. Screw him as he continues to ignite the racism fire

But with a bunch of mostly old white dudes telling a bunch of young African Americans to shut up and do what they are told has a certain feel to it. And slave owner, while not 100% accurate, is a decent analogy with a bit of hyperbole.

That defines pretty much every authoritative or managerial situation. Every boss-employee. Teacher-student. Coach-player. Most of those situations come down to “shut up and do what you’re told.”

Every time it’s white to black, a slave owner is not a “decent analogy.”

Reactions: Paul Loyd
That defines pretty much every authoritative or managerial situation. Every boss-employee. Teacher-student. Coach-player. Most of those situations come down to “shut up and do what you’re told.”

Every time it’s white to black, a slave owner is not a “decent analogy.”
I mean, if shut up and do what you’re told is the default position, no wonder society is so ****ed up. How about listening to people? How about open communication? How about mutual respect? I’m not sure what kind of bosses/teachers you have had but I’ve been lucky enough to have people that believed differently about how they should treat people. Shut up and do what I say is failed leadership. Good leaders lead their people not just dictate commands like a tyrant. Again, just my opinion.

You’re right. Just the vast majority. But the slave owner mentality isn’t just for black players. Again it’s about the mindset of the OWNERS, not about the players themselves.
And it it doesn't make any sense and is incredibly insensitive to anyone in the world that deals with actual slavery. What LeBron is describing is an employer,some worse than others but not a single one that players don't choose to work for. Which is what makes it not slavery and impossible for them to have a "slave owner mentality" whatever the heck that means.

I mean, if shut up and do what you’re told is the default position, no wonder society is so ****ed up. How about listening to people? How about open communication? How about mutual respect? I’m not sure what kind of bosses/teachers you have had but I’ve been lucky enough to have people that believed differently about how they should treat people. Shut up and do what I say is failed leadership. Good leaders lead their people not just dictate commands like a tyrant. Again, just my opinion.

Link to NFL owners actually saying shut up and do what I say? Those were your words. LBJs were do what I tell you or you’re fired. Something else they didn’t actually say.

Is it insinuated? Probably. When it comes down to it that’s life. Do the class work assigned you or fail. Do the job youre hired for or you’re fired. Run the play I tell you or sit on the bench.

Maybe we can talk about, or maybe we can’t, but at the end of the day, the person put in charge makes that decision. Some stricter, some more lenient. Some good leaders, some bad.

That’s how families, work, school, military and sports works. All of that can exist with mutual respect.

Last edited:
And it it doesn't make any sense and is incredibly insensitive to anyone in the world that deals with actual slavery. What LeBron is describing is an employer,some worse than others but not a single one that players don't choose to work for. Which is what makes it not slavery and impossible for them to have a "slave owner mentality" whatever the heck that means.
Jesus man. When you’re reaching down far enough into the bad argument bin that you pull out the “what about the actual slaves?” argument it may be time to rethink your position. His statement didn’t likely offend a single actual slave. In fact they probably have no idea he even said it.

You guys seemingly don’t want to actually understand or take what he said in context. That’s cool with me, but it makes your arguments pretty terrible.

Link to NFL owners actually saying shut up and do what I say? Those were your words. LBJs were do what I tell you or you’re fired. Something else they didn’t actually say.

Is it insinuated? Probably. When it comes down to it that’s life. Do the class work assigned you or fail. Do the job youre hired for or you’re fired. Run the play I tell you or sit on the bench.

Maybe we can talk about, or maybe we can’t, but at the end of the day, the person put in charge makes that decision. Some stricter, some more lenient. Some good leaders, some bad.

That’s how families, work, school, military and sports works. All of that can exist with mutual respect.
Link to that’s how families school military and sports works. Since we are asking for random links.

Link to that’s how families school military and sports works. Since we are asking for random links.
About what I expected.

We live in a world where if someone does something we don’t like we accuse them of being the most extreme, deplorable thing we can think of. Be it comparing someone to a communist, Hitler, slave owners, etc. Absurd that you approve of that.

There is no context to understand. “Well, slave owners tell people to do things. And NFL owners tell people to do things, so it makes sense to compare the two.”

What?

About what I expected.

We live in a world where if someone does something we don’t like we accuse them of being the most extreme, deplorable thing we can think of. Be it comparing someone to a communist, Hitler, slave owners, etc. Absurd that you approve of that.

There is no context to understand. “Well, slave owners tell people to do things. And NFL owners tell people to do things, so it makes sense to compare the two.”

What?
About what i expected. You’re still working really hard at not even trying to understand his point.

About what i expected. You’re still working really hard at not even trying to understand his point.
I understand what he’s upset about. All the items where the owners have more power in football than in other sports. Kaepernick. The anthem. Drug testing. Uniforms. Guaranteed contracts. Etc.

Some, I probably agree with his stance. Others, I disagree. Some I’m apethetic about.

Calling 32 NFL owners old white men with slave owners’ mentality is absurd.

I understand what he’s upset about. All the items where the owners have more power in football than in other sports. Kaepernick. The anthem. Drug testing. Uniforms. Guaranteed contracts. Etc.

Some, I probably agree with his stance. Others, I disagree. Some I’m apethetic about.

Calling 32 NFL owners old white men with slave owners’ mentality is absurd.
I just don’t think it is. It’s just an analogy.

And just what would that repercussion be? Someone spray painting the N-word on the front gate of his Los Angeles home again?
The same as if you were in the NFL. That doesn't do anything to make your team or league look good. Have you ever heard of "conduct detrimental to the team"? I guess in your work place you can just say whatever you want, huh?

The same as if you were in the NFL. That doesn't do anything to make your team or league look good. Have you ever heard of "conduct detrimental to the team"? I guess in your work place you can just say whatever you want, huh?

If I was the absolute best in the world in my profession and widley recognized as such I probably could get away with saying whatever I want. He is exercising his 1st amendment right and there won't be any major repercussions for it. Tag me if there are any that come about. He apologized and that's it.

If I was the absolute best in the world in my profession and widley recognized as such I probably could get away with saying whatever I want. He is exercising his 1st amendment right and there won't be any major repercussions for it. Tag me if there are any that come about. He apologized and that's it.
He didn't apologize. The apology you're seeing is about the Jewish reference that he made the next day. So two days in a row he takes a jab at different ethnicities. Great role model.

He didn't apologize. The apology you're seeing is about the Jewish reference that he made the next day. So two days in a row he takes a jab at different ethnicities. Great role model.

So he isnt a great role model?

If you want to call a person that’s very divisive a role model..be me guest. If you think that man sees more than the color of his own skin, you’re dead wrong. I honestly used to really like him. I liked him until he decided to “use his platform.” That’s what it’s called these days I guess.

If you want to call a person that’s very divisive a role model..be me guest. If you think that man sees more than the color of his own skin, you’re dead wrong. I honestly used to really like him. I liked him until he decided to “use his platform.” That’s what it’s called these days I guess.

Well who do you like? Just curious.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT