ADVERTISEMENT

Lincoln........could be the best movie I have ever seen.

Originally posted by Wehm55:
I predict it will sweep the Oscars. If you like history, you'll love this movie.
It really is a great movie. I really like the way they presented the assasination.

Originally posted by The Boar War:
I predict it will sweep the Oscars. If you like history, you'll love this movie.
It really is a great movie. I really like the way they presented the assasination.
Way to give away the ending!

It honestly was like listening to Lincoln for real. My wife and I go to movies all the time it's the best I have seen in a long time.

Crazy,just run into our neighbors at the local Bistro and they just returned from seeing the movie and expressed the same opinion....

Originally posted by hogs958:

You're assuming he didn't make it.

Thanks. Looking forward to taking my son to see it.

By the by, some of the middle-schoolers on the MB said is "was boring as hell."

More of a Booth fan myself. Lincoln crapped all over the constitution. Booth was just a few years too late.

Originally posted by yourhogness:

It is not a movie for young people. It takes some mature intelligence to follow the script.

Re: Lincoln........could be the best movie I have ever seen.
Wehm55 posted on 11/27/2012...

It is not a movie for young people. It takes some mature intelligence to follow the script.

Thanks. Should be fine for my son, then. He's 16 going on 40.

Originally posted by hogzilla22:
More of a Booth fan myself. Lincoln crapped all over the constitution. Booth was just a few years too late.

Either you are predigest or have a mental problem.

Originally posted by hogs958:

That wasn't giving up the ending at all.
Ha I know...was just joking. Saw it and it was incredible! Daniel Day Lewis blew me away...

Originally posted by hogzilla22:

Either you are predigest or have a mental problem.
I confess I had to search the word predigest....

DITO.......was worth all 2.5 hours worth. Plan on going back with our teens! Far better history than they get in school.

Read "The Real Lincoln" by Thomas Delorenzo and then get back with me. Lincoln had over 13,000 civilians arrested, mostly reporters, for merely disagreeing with the war. They were held in prison without ever being charged with a crime. Wrap your head around that for a minute. What would happen if a president did that today.

Originally posted by Luke Matheson:
Lincoln is doing well in the theater right now. Historically, that hasn't always been correct...
Good one dad

Hogzilla, very intresting. But I have to admit watching Lincoln made me realize times were different. The House of Representatives does not operate the same way today. Sooooo, I am sure Lincoln had to take drastic measures becuase his country was in a civil war. Maybe he didnt want the southern sympaizers reporters to communicate war signals thru their papers. Wrap your head around that for a minute.
This post was edited on 11/27 10:23 PM by hawgn02

Just got back from the theater here in Scottsdale....I thought the portrayal of Lincoln was amazing. I was surprised at the amount of film dedicated to the 13 th amendment, however. It was a fantastic portrayal

Originally posted by hawgn02:

Sooooo, I am sure Lincoln had to take drastic measures becuase his country was in a civil war.

This post was edited on 11/27 10:23 PM by hawgn02
Not to get too political or philisophical but if Lincoln chose to shred the document that gives the union it's power, was the Union really preserved?

People aren't taught both sides of the argument in school. Our schools, government, and media have made Lincoln into almost a mythological type figure. The man wasn't even on the ballot in Southern states and only won the 1861 election with 39% of the vote. Most people don't have a clue about half the crap Lincoln said and did during his presidency. They are simply told in 1st grade that he was the greatest president in American history. Brainwashed from day one.

This post was edited on 11/27 10:43 PM by hogzilla22

Good read.

unfortunately, this thread has been hijacked, and a moderator needs to shut it down asap. there are posts and links that are outrageous and offensive.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

I dont know Boar War, you tell me, did Abraham Lincoln preserve the Union?

Originally posted by Boy Named Sooie:
unfortunately, this thread has been hijacked, and a moderator needs to shut it down asap. there are posts and links that are outrageous and offensive.
Having contributed to this, I apologize. And I agree. FWIW, I thought the movie was really, really good! I also liked Argo a lot, and I think it will be between those two for best picture.

Dang I missed the hijack.

Luke you're on a roll with your witty comments tonight.

I never liked history growing up but I've recently become more interested in it. I loved the movie and learned quite a bit. I was fortunate enough to visit the the theater and the house where he passed across the street, and the movie made me appreciate the history a lot more. The acting was great. I really had to focus on the dialog though in order to understand everything. I imagine it will dominate the Oscars as well.

I just got back from movie, and I wouldn't watch it again. I love history and history movies, but this movie was too slow moving for me and to long for what all was involved. I watched skyfall and taken 2 as well in the past 2 weeks and both those movies are much better.

You didn't miss much. It appears Hogzilla idolizes two crack pot, pro-secessionist authors that few, if any, serious scholars take seriously. These fellas think Lincoln was a bad man and Hogzilla believes they may be right. That's about it.

Lincoln was a man he wasn't Mr. "Let's go to war to free slaves" if he could have kept peace he would have sacrificed a 1,000 slaves in front of the Capital. Above poster who said we were taught one side of Lincoln was spot on. Sadly this will upset many people because they prefer believing fairy tales so they can feel better about life. All good

Hogzilla, come on man!

"Lincoln wasnt even on the ballet in the Southern States"
-Do you think the White southern male voter(White male only voter) would vote Lincoln since he was opposed to EVERYTHING their economy and lives were built on?

"Lincoln only won the election with 39% of the vote"
-Again, zero South vote so he had must have done decent enough in the North to carry the electorate.

I am sure that Lincoln is not the mythological figure that grade school made him out to be, but the man was a president that went thru the Civil War and United States still came out as one nation...well, that is what my High School teacher taught me. Abe did the whole self educated thing too...passed the bar by just reading books of Law.

Haters are going to hate.
This post was edited on 11/28 12:04 AM by hawgn02

Originally posted by yourhogness:

They probably didn't like because their wasn't any computer generated car chases, that end in a crash, that has an explosion, that would rival Hiroshima.

The movie was misnamed . Instead of Lincoln it should have been The 13th Adm. They took a great idea and turned into
a liberal lie. If you watch this movie without ever reading anything concerning the civil war , Then you might believe it.

Ya think we could get a bipolar guy elected today? Not a chance. But we have a black president. Funny how time changes mentality.

I haven't seen the movie but from what I remember in college was that Lincoln gets a lot of credit for freeing the slaves with the Emancipation Proclamation but all it actually did was free the slaves in southern states that the Union regained control of. Now, slavery was illegal in the north so once the north regained control of a southern state, slavery was automatically illegal in that state so technically, the EP didn't free a single slave. Lincoln's big accomplishment with slavery was that it gave the north a cause to rally around because they were getting whipped by the south in the beginning of the war and a lot of it was due to not really having a great reason to fight.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT