ADVERTISEMENT

Monday Recruiting Notes & Thoughts

Danny West

Recruiting Analyst
Oct 24, 2004
Tontitown, AR
www.hawgsports.com
In case you missed the list of this week's visitors, you can check them out HERE. I'll add more as they're confirmed this week.

--- QB Logan Byrd, and as of right now I think it comes down to Arkansas and North Carolina for his services, and it wouldn't surprise me if he makes a move in the next couple of weeks.

I'm told North Carolina either just had a visitor or is about to have a visitor that they really want at QB, and if that kid picks UNC, Byrd will likely choose Arkansas. But if UNC doesn't get the one they want, Byrd is likely to stay closer to home and be a Tar Heel.

The interesting part to me is that Kelley is making a lot more contact with Arkansas than ever before, and I know he's excited to get up here for the visit. Could it be that he saw Byrd take a trip here and wants to make sure he gets up here ASAP now? I don't know that for a fact, just speculating, but I do think the chances of Arkansas landing one of these two QBs relatively soon is a much better chance than people realize.

It'll be interesting to see how it plays out.

--- I spoke to new OL offer Denzel Okafor of Lewisville (Texas) for a while Sunday evening and I think Arkansas will have a very good chance with him in time. He's got Arkansas, TCU, Texas Tech, Colorado State, Washington, Minnesota and Kansas to choose from so far, but don't be surprised if Oklahoma State, Oklahoma and Texas A&M are the next to join. He's going to wait and see what happens with those three before making a decision, but he did tell me he's trying to visit here as soon as possible. Coach Sam Pittman has been on him pretty hard lately. This is a kid I saw in Dallas last weekend and liked. I think he's a kid that, once he gets here your chances probably double. Sharp kid -- the type of kid I've seen Pittman get time and time again. He's likely to make a decision either before his season begins or possibly in the first part of it, so he won't wait around forever. 6-4, 290, 600 squat, 305 bench.

--- Jordan Brown of Stillwater (Okla.) is going to be here this weekend and says Michael Smith has been talking to him quite a bit. He's got Texas Tech, SMU and Navy so far and he believes Memphis will be next. 6-2, 198, 4.53 WR, reminds me of Pettway a little bit. Got nice size, pretty good game speed and is good in the open field. His first catch on his Rivals film is worth a watch. He's the type of Oklahoma kid that I could see Arkansas trying to get in on early with an offer, but we'll see.

--- I think Arkansas is probably going to do its best to get T.J. Hammonds locked up when he visits this weekend. I don't know if he'll crack or not, but it certainly wouldn't surprise me if he does. They've got a way of getting in-state kids who say they're going to wait to go ahead and jump on board during or right around spring visits (Day Dean, Austin Capps, Jack Kraus). And Hammonds' run of new offers has slowed down over the last couple of weeks, so maybe he's had time to digest some things. Also, as noted in another thread, if he chooses Arkansas he'll be given a look at RB and not just receiver. I personally think he's closer to 5-9 than 5-11, but a very explosive guy with ball skills nonetheless. He'd be a very nice pickup if and when they can get him on board. Currently my No. 2 guy in the state behind McTelvin Agim.

--- I now believe Arkansas is in the driver's seat for ATH Devin White, but I don't think he's close to a decision. Heard some positive things about where the Hogs stand with him over the last couple of days, so I'm comfortable saying they're in a great spot right now. As a side note, I don't know if I mentioned it in Dallas or not, but I had my stupid sound turned off during my interview with Devin in Dallas, so I screwed that up royally. He caught me by surprise though and I was unprepared. He found me after camp and said, "I was on my way to the car and saw you over here, so I told my mom, 'Hold on, I wanna go do an interview with him and show love to Arkansas.'" At the end of the interview he gave a huge "Wooo Pig Sooie!" that had other kids looking at him like he was crazy. Wish I had sound...my fault. But like I said, I wasn't really convinced that it was all that real until over the weekend when I heard a few things that are positive for the Hogs.

--- I checked in with DE Xavier Kelly of Wichita (Kan.) East Sunday night and he said he'll be here June 7. I told him his Rivals page showed that he was 'high' on Oregon and TCU and he asked me to change it (which I'll do here in a minute) to show that he's got medium interest in all schools and no frontrunners at this time. This is a kid that I think distance from home might be a significant factor, so that obviously gives you a chance. He's being recruited by Sam Pittman and Rory Segrest. He's now up to 15 offers and isn't in a big hurry, but getting him on campus will be big for Arkansas. I could see them becoming very much in the mix following that visit.

- EDITED Cole Kelley's visit to next weekend, not this weekend. I had written him on my notepad as the 11th, but it's the 18th.

This post was edited on 4/6 3:49 PM by Danny West

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News