ADVERTISEMENT

OT My take on Saturday...

ejsHawg

Starter
Gold Member
Dec 17, 2004
First, A&M is better than I thought they would be. Really impressed defensively with what Chavis has done. I truly believe they win the West this season. They can stop Bama running and they will force Bama to win with Hurts and not sure that can happen against a really good team.

Second, I believe the game turned on the final TD right before the half. We go in 17-10 I feel it's a different ball game. Combine that with the fact that we stalled 3 times inside the 10 and, well, Arkansas is not built to handle those types of momentum swings.

Third, I'm concerned about our defensive scheme against spread teams. We are asking way too much of our LB, in particular, Brooks Ellis. For example, on the long TD run by Knight right before half, Ellis is in a no-win position.

A&M is in 4 wideouts with single back and we're in Cover 2 with Greenlaw on the slot. The problem is in the formation. Ellis has man responsibility for both the back and the QB. They motion the back, Ellis has to go, which leaves the middle open, run go routes so everyone is turning to run and we whiff the safety tackle by Santos.

I just think we have to sacrifice something and we're trying to stop all. Either man up on the outside and when the back goes in motion bring the safety down, leaving Brooks in the middle to support the run, or rush 3 and drop an DE into the flat with the running back. In that play we got out schemed badly.

Overall, A&M had more talent (IMO). We're still a solid team and I like us still to win 7, maybe 8, but until we change to handle spread teams with a true dual threat QB, we're going to be in trouble.

AND don't doubt for a second that Bama won't do the same stuff with Hurts....

Go Hogs.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News