ADVERTISEMENT

NBA self-destructing

This isn't new. As Silver says in the article, the league internally moved away from the term years ago. The NBA continues to grow in revenue and popularity at a higher rate than any sports league in the country. I think they will be ok.

NBA revenues are up nearly 40% in the last two years. The global growth of the NBA could very easily see franchise values surpass NFL franchises in the next few years.

This isn't new. As Silver says in the article, the league internally moved away from the term years ago. The NBA continues to grow in revenue and popularity at a higher rate than any sports league in the country. I think they will be ok.

NBA revenues are up nearly 40% in the last two years. The global growth of the NBA could very easily see franchise values surpass NFL franchises in the next few years.

Yes, i'm sure they'll be fine.

I'm a big NBA fan and understand why the league is generating more fans. They've done a great job marketing their teams and players. Social media, trade talks, etc. have benefitted the NBA the most of any professional sport IMO, but some of these headlines are cringe-worthy and just seem like they're trying too hard... I just wonder how much of the dog-and-pony show people will put up with before they start to change the channel. In a game where someone wins and someone loses, the sensitive / politically-correct game gets a little tired.

Reactions: Joe Thornton
Yes, i'm sure they'll be fine.

I'm a big NBA fan and understand why the league is generating more fans. They've done a great job marketing their teams and players. Social media, trade talks, etc. have benefitted the NBA the most of any professional sport IMO, but some of these headlines are cringe-worthy and just seem like they're trying too hard... I just wonder how much of the dog-and-pony show people will put up with before they start to change the channel. In a game where someone wins and someone loses, the sensitive / politically-correct game gets a little tired.

I don't see that being an issue. Anyone that stops watching basketball because they don't like the phrasing used by league executives probably wasn't much of a basketball fan to begin with.

Seriously, what kind of people are bothered by this? I can't fathom caring if the league wants to call owners something other than owners. The idea of spending even 5 seconds giving a shit about that is baffling to me.

What are some of the other cringe-worthy headlines?

Reactions: anon_tmdio4dg73n6j
I don't see that being an issue. Anyone that stops watching basketball because they don't like the phrasing used by league executives probably wasn't much of a basketball fan to begin with.

Seriously, what kind of people are bothered by this? I can't fathom caring if the league wants to call owners something other than owners. The idea of spending even 5 seconds giving a shit about that is baffling to me.

Want to know who cares ask the nfls ratings.

Reactions: MaverickHog
Are you saying there are large numbers of NBA fans that feel so strongly about the term "owner" that they will boycott the league if it is no longer used?
No it was more of a take that if stuff get too political people will turn away. Personally who cares except the nba seems to back their players where the nfl doesn’t.

Reactions: BossHog11
No it was more of a take that if stuff get too political people will turn away. Personally who cares except the nba seems to back their players where the nfl doesn’t.

Don't disagree there. I just don't think this owner thing is a whole lotta nothing.

If you watched the NBA Awards last night, you cringed. It was a 2-hour ad for the big NBA sponsors.

For starters…
  • The players have all of the leverage over their teams and ‘governors’.
  • Lebron has controlled where he plays, when he plays, who he plays with, and how he plays for years. Other stars are starting to follow his lead.
  • When the season starts, there are about 4 or 5 teams with an actual shot of winning the championship. Extreme lack of parity.
  • The players claiming ‘racism’ at the wrong time. (**Racism exists and is awful. When they claim racism in the wrong places, it dilutes the message in situations where severe racism does exist).
  • The NBA botched the one-and-done situation years ago… it’s severely hurt the college basketball game IMO.

Yea it will probably blow over. People that y’all about owners will most likely keep calling them owners.

I honestly don't think there is anything to blow over. I seriously doubt there are many normal people out there that care about this. I'm sure people like Clay Travis will use it to get some attention, but other than that it hasn't shown up on my radar at all.

I honestly don't think there is anything to blow over. I seriously doubt there are many normal people out there that care about this. I'm sure people like Clay Travis will use it to get some attention, but other than that it hasn't shown up on my radar at all.
True won’t be mentioned past the weekend.

If you watched the NBA Awards last night, you cringed. It was a 2-hour ad for the big NBA sponsors.

For starters…
  • Lebron has controlled where he plays, when he plays, who he plays with, and how he plays for years. Other stars are starting to follow his lead.
  • When the season starts, there are about 4 or 5 teams with an actual shot of winning the championship. Extreme lack of parity.
  • The players claiming ‘racism’ at the wrong time. (**Racism exists and is awful. When they claim racism in the wrong places, it dilutes the message in situations where severe racism does exist).
  • The NBA botched the one-and-done situation years ago… it’s severely hurt the college basketball game IMO.

I'd say most people have no issue with players having leverage over where they play. There is a lack of parity in nearly every sport from year to year. Not sure what you are referencing with the "claiming racism" part. The one and done issue goes both ways. None of these are really "cringe inducing headlines". They sound more like a few things you personally don't like about the NBA. Which is fine by the way. No sport is perfect.

Back their players? They make them rich and famous playing a GAME they grew up playing for free. You want to give me an 8 or 9 figure contract plus lucrative endorsement deals, you can call your self anything you want or tell me when to sit or stand
(or not to kneel) 2 minutes a day and I won't be able to wipe the grin off my face.

Players come and go. Always have and always will. Ownerships and fans are the constants. With out enough fans, everything else goes away. It would behoove the guys writing the checks to back the folks giving them the money to write em.

Pro athletes have largely become a bunch of overly pampered, entitled, spoiled, filthy rich elitists who have been convinced the world revolves around them, especially in the NBA. Most would sit and starve if they suddenly lost everything and had to get up needing to do actual work to eek out a living every day. Very very few wouldn't be totally clueless if they suddenly faced real life for a change.

No other time in human history have so many people become so wealthy and celebrated by being good at stuff that regular people do for fun, as athletes and musicians in the good old USA over the last century. You can throw actors in there too. These folks were incredibly fortunate to have been born when and where they were. You would think the least they could do is be respectful and appreciative of the country and the fans that made it possible.

Reactions: Joe Thornton
Back their players? They make them rich and famous playing a GAME they grew up playing for free. You want to give me an 8 or 9 figure contract plus lucrative endorsement deals, you can call your self anything you want or tell me when to sit or stand
(or not to kneel) 2 minutes a day and I won't be able to wipe the grin off my face.

Players come and go. Always have and always will. Ownerships and fans are the constants. With out enough fans, everything else goes away. It would behoove the guys writing the checks to back the folks giving them the money to write em.

Pro athletes have largely become a bunch of overly pampered, entitled, spoiled, filthy rich elitists who have been convinced the world revolves around them, especially in the NBA. Most would sit and starve if they suddenly lost everything and had to get up needing to do actual work to eek out a living every day. Very very few wouldn't be totally clueless if they suddenly faced real life for a change.

No other time in human history have so many people become so wealthy and celebrated by being good at stuff that regular people do for fun, as athletes and musicians in the good old USA over the last century. You can throw actors in there too. These folks were incredibly fortunate to have been born when and where they were. You would think the least they could do is be respectful and appreciative of the country and the fans that made it possible.

Jesus

giphy.gif

Didn’t say you had to like it but the nba for sure backs their players more so than the nfl.

For starters…

I'd say most people have no issue with players having leverage over where they play. There is a lack of parity in nearly every sport from year to year. Not sure what you are referencing with the "claiming racism" part. The one and done issue goes both ways. None of these are really "cringe inducing headlines". They sound more like a few things you personally don't like about the NBA. Which is fine by the way. No sport is perfect.

I'm all for the players having leverage. How many times have the teams thrown away players when what they agreed to wasn't no longer good for the team. That's okay, but when the player holds out or demands a trade it's looked at as selfish. It's a business at the end of the day. Example: was watching a documentary on Thurman Thomas the other day and for all that he, Bruce Smith, and Reed done for the Bills, you release them without even a phone call.

It's called using your platform when addressing racism. Which one will get attention first, a player who held a rally in his home town to speak out against racism, or wearing a shirt during the NBA finals with the names of victims and speaking on it in the post game interviews?

Kind of falls into the shut up and dribble thus you can't think, thus entertain me and keep your mouth closed.

Last edited:
Reactions: hpharri1994
giphy.gif

Didn’t say you had to like it but the nba for sure backs their players more so than the nfl.

You act like the NBA is being heroic when in truth, they are just cowering to extreme political correctness to appease a bunch of spoiled celebs. Not a single player in any professional sport is required to play against their will if they don't want to. To pretend they are being mistreated b/c the guy that actually OWNS the place they work is called an OWNER would be hilarious if it weren't so incredibly shallow and stupid.

Reactions: MaverickHog
You act like the NBA is being heroic when in truth, they are just cowering to extreme political correctness to appease a bunch of spoiled celebs. Not a single player in any professional sport is required to play against their will if they don't want to. To pretend they are being mistreated b/c the guy that actually OWNS the place they work is called an OWNER would be hilarious if it weren't so incredibly shallow and stupid.
Man you are reading waaaayyyyy to far into what I said. I will say however wouldnt we normally commend a business for considering the input of its employees and making changes that can be a benefit to them, especially when they are at little to no cost to the company? No employee is forced to stay at any place of work but you still want to be treated what you would deem as fairly. Just because your opinion differs from theirs doesn’t mean they don’t deserve one.

Reactions: BossHog11

In regards to getting political and turning people away, the NFL stuff was in your face and visible with the kneeling. Everyone talked about it and the flame got fanned even worse when the president decided to chime in.

I haven't seen that with the NBA. I didn't even know they didn't call the owners owners anymore until this thread.

I guess I am not the norm. I could care less about the NBA. Surprised the ratings are getting better.

You watch a lot of NBA?

From early childhood(Wilt, Pistol Pete, Jerry West, Earl the Pearl) through the end of Jordan and the Bulls reign, if there was an NBA game on, I was excitedly watching it.

When the NBA started taking kids out of HS, players became mercenaries that went from team to team, and it became more of an individual sport with group participation, I lost interest. I prefer the watered down college version to the watered down pro version. Players have gotten bigger and more athletic, but the team aspect has taken a huge hit.

I loved Jordan and the Bulls, Sid and the Bucks, Dr J and the Sixers. Hated Bird and McHale and the Celts, Magic and the Lakers, and Laimbeer and the Pistons. Now, players aren't identified with teams anymore and that makes it really hard for me to care.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT