ADVERTISEMENT

Football Odom, Briles on with ESPN

nikkichavanelle

Hall of Fame
Staff
Sep 21, 2014
They participated in a charity golf round this morning and spoke to Tye on the show:

Some quotes:

Briles on last year and this year: "it's completely different. We're so far ahead as a staff and the players from a mental standpoint."
Same for Odom: "We have a lot of returning starters. They get a second year of being in the same system with the same terminology, they were picking up right where we left off. They retained info so we were able to put in so much more, really excited about it."

Odom on most returners in SEC, people saying they could be most improved: "When you look at the experience, I wouldn't trade it for anything. If they don't do a lot better, it's because I didn't do a very good job coaching. We can communicate easier now, they understand the system, now it's our job to make sure every player plays better than they ever have before."

Briles on KJ/Burks: "We all know what Treylon can do with the ball in his hands, he can do a lot without the ball too, he's really developed and you could see that this spring, we like the way he's trending. KJ just has a great feel for the offense and how we want to operate. He's very smart, he's a fast thinker, it allows us to play with a lot of tempo."

Odom on senior returners: "I think it speaks volumes to the program Coach Pittman has built, they want to be a part of it. it automatically gave us another recruiting class so to speak, a smaller group but those guys are older, established and it's going to be a huge advantage for us"

Briles: "Warren, seeing how he's worked, he's doing really well, he's at 90%. They are great leaders. You have to build these sustaining relationships. It's a lot of good men on staff, we're going to put a lot into them every day and they trust us."

Odom on full capacity: "I've been in college sports for 20+ years and I think Arkansas's fans are unmatched, every corner of the state. I can't wait for our players to see the full stadium on week one. You see it in all the other sports, it's unbelievable. From a momentum standpoint it's worth a TD to 10 points."

Last edited:
Odom summed it up well when he said “if they’re not better than last year we’ve failed as coaches” (paraphrasing).
It’s been so long since that’s been the case here a lot of fans don’t seem to believe players are supposed to get better. Whatever they are first year is what they stay...or even get worse. That’s how bad our coaching has been and not just football.

We are winning 8 games this year. Yes, I love the Kool-Aid. Just remembering how good of coaching we have on this football staff gets us to 8 wins this season.
I'm on this train too. Gonna open a lot of eyes when we beat Texas in a primetime game with 76k people in the stands!

Reactions: LCM88
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT