ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 12 Years a Slave

B0b L0blaw

Hall of Fame
Jul 3, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
Finally watched it, what a great movie and an amazing story. Doesn't blink when taken a look at a shameful part of our history. Deserved all the Oscars it got IMO.

I loved it. Also liked Dallas Buyers Club but 12yrs is better. Need to see Wolf of Wall St next.

It's a great movie with an unflinching look at a shameful institution. It was difficult to watch at times, but worth the time.

Definitely a great movie. We, as humans, have a great capacity for evil...and a great capacity for love and kindness. It's good to be reminded of the evils our forefathers have wrought so that we do not forget to focus on love and kindness in our daily walk.

Originally posted by B0b L0blaw:
Finally watched it, what a great movie and an amazing story. Doesn't blink when taken a look at a shameful part of our history. Deserved all the Oscars it got IMO.
Shameful history?

I haven't seen the movie, so I have no clue what it's about. Care to share?

Originally posted by wps88 2.0:

Shameful history?

Slavery.

I didn't watch it. Just more profiting from white guilt. My "forefathers" weren't even here yet.

These race related movies try to exist in a historical vacuum where the US is the only country to have ever owned slaves or committed atrocities against humanity. Perhaps it's irony that the director of this movie is a Brit that has plenty of his own history to dwell on and atone for, or to make others feel guilty over considering he's black. I look forward to his apartheid film.

Originally posted by titanhawg:

Shameful history?

Slavery.
Not really sure how slavery was shameful. That's what happened back then in a lot of countries. Would it be wrong now? Absolutely.

Originally posted by titanhawg:

Shameful history?

Slavery.
Not really sure how slavery was shameful. That's what happened back then in a lot of countries. Would it be wrong now? Absolutely.
I really confused by the ignorant and dare say arrogant comments made at times.

Im going to give you credit for histrical ignorance, WPS88, rather than assume you are just stupid and racist. Slavery was, is and always will be shameful, and it wouldnt matter if "everyone else was doing it", which they were not. By the time we had a our civil war it was a dying institution and as you may recall was a fairly devisive issue here in the US, i.e. the war that killed 100s of thousands.

Slavery may have been on a down turn world wide but in the US it was growing and as long as cotton was being grown slavery was going nowhere in the south.
Originally posted by Trips32_10_44:
Im going to give you credit for histrical ignorance, WPS88, rather than assume you are just stupid and racist. Slavery was, is and always will be shameful, and it wouldnt matter if "everyone else was doing it", which they were not. By the time we had a our civil war it was a dying institution and as you may recall was a fairly devisive issue here in the US, i.e. the war that killed 100s of thousands.

Originally posted by razorback9455:
I didn't watch it. Just more profiting from white guilt. My "forefathers" weren't even here yet.

These race related movies try to exist in a historical vacuum where the US is the only country to have ever owned slaves or committed atrocities against humanity. Perhaps it's irony that the director of this movie is a Brit that has plenty of his own history to dwell on and atone for, or to make others feel guilty over considering he's black. I look forward to his apartheid film.
WTF?

Whoever said that the US was solely responsible for slavery? Regardless, does that make it acceptable in your eyes? At some point we have to accept and move on from the fact that slavery existed in the US. It doesn't mean we have to ignore it.

You're not sure how dehumanizing others is shameful, regardless of context? I'd love to beat the shit out of you on general principle. And be more righteous a thousand fold than a slave owner.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Originally posted by fleckabelly:

WTF?

Whoever said that the US was solely responsible for slavery? Regardless, does that make it acceptable in your eyes? At some point we have to accept and move on from the fact that slavery existed in the US. It doesn't mean we have to ignore it.
Note that I used the word atrocities. Does that sound like I approve?

And youre right, we have to move on.

ee97db65.jpg

I won't watch it. Slavery happened I have seen enough movies to know that it wasn't a good thing.

,More than once, Sir Winston Churchill used the old quote "Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it"

I don't think it's anti U.S. at all. I think it's just a interesting film about one man's story of being born free then kidnapped and sold into slavery in our nation's capitol. Interesting cause I didn't realize it was legal in DC at that point. And the film also pointed out that the first slave owner was a decent man under the circumstances so I'm not buying the white guilt even though I could see how one could be affected. Anyone with any historical intelligence knows Africans were enslaved by Africans and slavery has been common practice since the beginning of man. It's honestly just a good movie.

Minnesotahog , well stated. I have not watched the film because of the way it was sold to the public by the liberal self serving media. It is probably a really good film that half of America will never watch because we are sick of being blamed for something we never had anything to do with.

Originally posted by 479deerhunter:

Minnesotahog , well stated. I have not watched the film because of the way it was sold to the public by the liberal self serving media. It is probably a really good film that half of America will never watch because we are sick of being blamed for something we never had anything to do with.
Also well stated. I totally agree with your assessment. There will always be a liberal agenda associated with a movie that has "slave" in the title. I can assure you that it's a well put together movie and well worth seeing. To me, It doesn't generalize white people as being "bad."

It's not that people like you are out there, or even that you feel this way, it's that you think it's "right"...that's what blows my mind.

Originally posted by japierce:

It's not that people like you are out there, or even that you feel this way, it's that you think it's "right"...that's what blows my mind.

I have heard mixed views on it. I personally will never watch it, but that is my choice.

I moved here in 2002 and am the only one from all of my ancestors. Most remain in Ireland/Germany/Scottland and most recently Australia. So not I nor anyone of my relatives (ancestors) had a single god damn thing to do with any of it. Yet every day I get punished over here as if I/we did. Put that in your pipe and smoke it.

Originally posted by RazorbackDundee:

Originally posted by japierce:

I have heard mixed views on it. I personally will never watch it, but that is my choice.

I moved here in 2002 and am the only one from all of my ancestors. Most remain in Ireland/Germany/Scottland and most recently Australia. So not I nor anyone of my relatives (ancestors) had a single god damn thing to do with any of it. Yet every day I get punished over here as if I/we did. Put that in your pipe and smoke it.
"Punished"...I don't follow? You realize this is a movie right?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT