ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Austin Bomber Dead

My father-in-law and I discussed this yesterday. This day and age you aren't going to get away with something like that for very long. Too much technology and too much past experience of law enforcement, to get away with something like that now days.

Glad they got him, feel terrible for the families of the deceased victims.

Reactions: Quenting and kj0N
Curious about the final bomb at Goodwill. Supposedly unrelated. Hope they catch that person too if there was a copycat bomber
Supposedly, the “incindiary device” at Goodwill was a donation to Goodwill that went off in an employees hands. Why an incendiary device was “donated” to Goodwill is anyone’s guess...

Good!

Bet you a $100 that there are similar bombings still, due to people searching for attention in the wrong places. Someone will try to duplicate these bombings, and make the media/public think the real bomber is still out there.

attacking home schooled students is pretty low because you pick out the worst cases. You can do the same thing with public schools.

Always be leery of a person's motive when looking at their 'facts' :)

This argument is somewhat like talking about Bielema (when still here) or Mike Anderson today.
You can make a good case on either side you want by HOW you tell the story.

attacking home schooled students is pretty low because you pick out the worst cases. You can do the same thing with public schools.

Always be leery of a person's motive when looking at their 'facts' :)

This argument is somewhat like talking about Bielema (when still here) or Mike Anderson today.
You can make a good case on either side you want by HOW you tell the story.
The paper tiger “technique” is overused. And, ineffective to those paying attention.

I’ll out myself to participate in a rousing discussion.

I was home schooled 7-10th grade, with the exception of 9th. I spent that year at Lakeside in Hot Springs and was generally miserable. I worked as a substitute teacher there some after I finished my undergrad and hated it all over again.

Home schoolers are often a different breed. That’s true. I knew a lot of kids that were kind of “off.” But these were all kids that attempted “normal” school beforehand. They were different because they were different, not because they home schooled. Many were of a religious background, many weren’t. Neither the religious nor the secular has a monopoly on home schooling.

Home schooling has a lot of advantages. Math is not my strong suit, so I was able to move slower and more deliberately at algebra. History and English are more my speed, so I was able to accelerate that process. The disadvantages are largely mythologized. Home schoolers are rarely, from my experience, not involved in home school social groups. My group had a basketball team, for example, and we were awful. But we had it none the less and played teams from “real” schools.

Home schooling is rigorous. The schedule may be more fluid, but it is still a schedule. It takes dedication from the kid and the parent. Self accountability and motivation are the first lessons learned.

Just as a kid in a “real” school has to deal with whatever various social stigma their peers attach to them, home schooled children obviously have to deal with the stigma of being “weird” or, apparently, future psychopaths and failures. There is no insulation provided by home schooling. If anything, you’re all the more exposed. Except the pressure comes from adults as opposed to exclusively from a child’s peers. That’s quite unfortunate, but I suppose it’s part of the socialization and “growing” process of the public school experience.

I tried public school one more time in the 11th grade and generally hated it. Luckily, due to home schooling, I had the credits to leave early and graduate after that year. I didn’t hate it because I wasn’t “well-adjusted” I hated it because it was a waste of my time. I had learned to tackle and conquer a task quickly from home schooling, and that wasn’t possible in public school.

People are uncomfortable with home schoolers because it challenges their notions of the “normal.” People like the Austin bomber then offer a confirmation of and reinforcement to their bias. That’s a damn shame. He does not reflect home schoolers anymore than the kid in Florida reflects all public schoolers.

I was home schooled 7-10th grade, with the exception of 9th. I spent that year at Lakeside in Hot Springs and was generally miserable. I worked as a substitute teacher there some after I finished my undergrad and hated it all over again.

Home schoolers are often a different breed. That’s true. I knew a lot of kids that were kind of “off.” But these were all kids that attempted “normal” school beforehand. They were different because they were different, not because they home schooled. Many were of a religious background, many weren’t. Neither the religious nor the secular has a monopoly on home schooling.

Home schooling has a lot of advantages. Math is not my strong suit, so I was able to move slower and more deliberately at algebra. History and English are more my speed, so I was able to accelerate that process. The disadvantages are largely mythologized. Home schoolers are rarely, from my experience, not involved in home school social groups. My group had a basketball team, for example, and we were awful. But we had it none the less and played teams from “real” schools.

Home schooling is rigorous. The schedule may be more fluid, but it is still a schedule. It takes dedication from the kid and the parent. Self accountability and motivation are the first lessons learned.

Just as a kid in a “real” school has to deal with whatever various social stigma their peers attach to them, home schooled children obviously have to deal with the stigma of being “weird” or, apparently, future psychopaths and failures. There is no insulation provided by home schooling. If anything, you’re all the more exposed. Except the pressure comes from adults as opposed to exclusively from a child’s peers. That’s quite unfortunate, but I suppose it’s part of the socialization and “growing” process of the public school experience.

I tried public school one more time in the 11th grade and generally hated it. Luckily, due to home schooling, I had the credits to leave early and graduate after that year. I didn’t hate it because I wasn’t “well-adjusted” I hated it because it was a waste of my time. I had learned to tackle and conquer a task quickly from home schooling, and that wasn’t possible in public school.

People are uncomfortable with home schoolers because it challenges their notions of the “normal.” People like the Austin bomber then offer a confirmation of and reinforcement to their bias. That’s a damn shame. He does not reflect home schoolers anymore than the kid in Florida reflects all public schoolers.

I know that there are home school success stories, out there.

I was just stating my experience with interaction with home schoolers/my niece and nephews experience as home schoolers.

There is definitely an advantage, in being able to go through accelerated learning. My niece skipped a grade, and is the youngest kid in her class, by a year and a half almost.

The academics part has more advantages than not. I was referring more to the psych/socializing of home schoolers. Like you said, they aren't socializing with kids for the most part, thus feeling pressure from adults rather than peers. A lot of home school environments, in my experience, are pretty laid back. Yes, the work may be rigorous, but it isn't an 8-3 type setting, like public/private schools. That flexibility makes it hard for a lot of kids to learn how to stick to a schedule, and do things in a timely manner. That and socialization are the biggest problems for kids that go from home school to college. If they can get over those humps, they will kill it in the classroom, because they're in their element. It is just getting over those humps, that make the jump from home school to regular school hard.

Sorry you had a bad experience at Lakeside. I graduated from there in 2010, and it was the best school environment that I was ever in. Keep in mind, I have lived all over, and been in HUGE schools and small schools. When I was in 6th grade at Union in Tulsa, we had 2100 kids in the 6th and 7th grade center alone. When I got to Lakeside, there was barely 1000 in the entire high school. Lakeside was a pretty close knit group of folks, with a few outcasts. I don't think people had to "try" to fit in there.. it was more natural. Most all the kids came from the same type of background/upbringing. We just meshed well. When they put the school choice law in effect, we had a lot of transfers. They realized really quick, that they didn't fit in. It wasn't there fault. It was more so that we had all grown up together, hit puberty together, had the same interests, etc. Outsiders come into Lakeside and get hit with a culture shock, lol. It seems more diverse there now, or at least that is the vibe I got last time I was on campus for a football game.

It is still one of the best public schools in the state, and has top test scores year in and year out.

Can't remember how many kids in my class went to 4 year schools, but we set the record for most scholarship dollars awarded. Of my 20 best friends in high school, all turned out alright. Everyone graduated with good/great degrees, and are either working in the medical field, corporate world, or are in med school.

They realized really quick, that they didn't fit in. It wasn't there fault. It was more so that we had all grown up together, hit puberty together, had the same interests, etc.
It is still one of the best public schools in the state, and has top test scores year in and year out.
Can't remember how many kids in my class went to 4 year schools, but we set the record for most scholarship dollars awarded. Of my 20 best friends in high school, all turned out alright. Everyone graduated with good/great degrees, and are either working in the medical field, corporate world, or are in med school.
Hot Springs Lakesiders be like
hwnnrg.gif

I know that there are home school success stories, out there.

I was just stating my experience with interaction with home schoolers/my niece and nephews experience as home schoolers.

There is definitely an advantage, in being able to go through accelerated learning. My niece skipped a grade, and is the youngest kid in her class, by a year and a half almost.

The academics part has more advantages than not. I was referring more to the psych/socializing of home schoolers. Like you said, they aren't socializing with kids for the most part, thus feeling pressure from adults rather than peers. A lot of home school environments, in my experience, are pretty laid back. Yes, the work may be rigorous, but it isn't an 8-3 type setting, like public/private schools. That flexibility makes it hard for a lot of kids to learn how to stick to a schedule, and do things in a timely manner. That and socialization are the biggest problems for kids that go from home school to college. If they can get over those humps, they will kill it in the classroom, because they're in their element. It is just getting over those humps, that make the jump from home school to regular school hard.

Sorry you had a bad experience at Lakeside. I graduated from there in 2010, and it was the best school environment that I was ever in. Keep in mind, I have lived all over, and been in HUGE schools and small schools. When I was in 6th grade at Union in Tulsa, we had 2100 kids in the 6th and 7th grade center alone. When I got to Lakeside, there was barely 1000 in the entire high school. Lakeside was a pretty close knit group of folks, with a few outcasts. I don't think people had to "try" to fit in there.. it was more natural. Most all the kids came from the same type of background/upbringing. We just meshed well. When they put the school choice law in effect, we had a lot of transfers. They realized really quick, that they didn't fit in. It wasn't there fault. It was more so that we had all grown up together, hit puberty together, had the same interests, etc. Outsiders come into Lakeside and get hit with a culture shock, lol. It seems more diverse there now, or at least that is the vibe I got last time I was on campus for a football game.

My problem with Lakeside was your benefit. Trying to start there in the 9th grade made it very difficult to assimilate / be assimilated. Adolescence is hard enough as it is, but I was also a very shy kid. I grew out of that, and it had nothing to do with home school, as I was in regular school until the 7th grade. But adolescence, being shy, and the tribe mentality of junior / high school kids was too much to overcome. I had friends at Lakeside from my neighborhood, but they were all two years older. Because 9th grade is not part of the high school, or wasn't then anyway, that was of no advantage. The anxiety of being a shy kid has benefited me as an adult at least. As someone who stands in front of college classrooms, I do my best to notice who has public speaking anxiety and try not to force it on them.

Home, private, and public schools all have their own flavors of problems, and I wouldn't deny that, but what bothers me is that it seems every time one of these nuts turns out to have been home schooled they are suddenly nuts because they were home schooled. There's a stigma, and its not fair to the kids and the parents that do it right. Home schooling done right is an extremely difficult to path to take. I don't intentionally advocate for home school because its so hard to do correctly, but I do defend it.

My problem with Lakeside was your benefit. Trying to start there in the 9th grade made it very difficult to assimilate / be assimilated. Adolescence is hard enough as it is, but I was also a very shy kid. I grew out of that, and it had nothing to do with home school, as I was in regular school until the 7th grade. But adolescence, being shy, and the tribe mentality of junior / high school kids was too much to overcome. I had friends at Lakeside from my neighborhood, but they were all two years older. Because 9th grade is not part of the high school, or wasn't then anyway, that was of no advantage. The anxiety of being a shy kid has benefited me as an adult at least. As someone who stands in front of college classrooms, I do my best to notice who has public speaking anxiety and try not to force it on them.

Home, private, and public schools all have their own flavors of problems, and I wouldn't deny that, but what bothers me is that it seems every time one of these nuts turns out to have been home schooled they are suddenly nuts because they were home schooled. There's a stigma, and its not fair to the kids and the parents that do it right. Home schooling done right is an extremely difficult to path to take. I don't intentionally advocate for home school because its so hard to do correctly, but I do defend it.

I feel you. I moved there in 8th grade, on a whim. I went to LH for a year, then moved to LS for golf. I however did not and still don't have a shy bone in my body. I'm probably the most outgoing guy you've never met lol. I mesged in quickly at LS. Probably due to being in athletics. I didn't play football at first, then everyone had heard that I was the QB at LHbefore leaving, so coach Plumlee asked me to come play. Best decision I made in junior high. I got to be good friends with everyone, almost instantly.

Every home schooled person I knew was pretty awesome.

Oh my the wonderful kids your children get to associate in Public schools makes it all worthwhile.
Why your kids can learn more in the bathroom at school than.......well you know

I find the president to be an offensive piece of shit.
That's fine and what I expected but there was nothing wrong with his comment. Would any president say mute on the subject? Was there something wrong with what he said? It is one thing to dislike him but a post like yours is simply irrational

Reactions: chicks1244
That's fine and what I expected but there was nothing wrong with his comment. Would any president say mute on the subject? Was there something wrong with what he said? It is one thing to dislike him but a post like yours is simply irrational
I didn't say there was anything wrong with his comment. He is a degenerate piece of shit. If you voted for him, you were conned. You will realize your mistake at some point. Best of luck to you.

I didn't say there was anything wrong with his comment. He is a degenerate piece of shit. If you voted for him, you were conned. You will realize your mistake at some point. Best of luck to you.
I voted for him and support the him big time. ZERO F#ck$ Given as to what you think of him...

ADVERTISEMENT