ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Computer problem

bobhawg

Starter
Oct 27, 2002
I had a bunch of virus and other type bad things and McAfee got rid of most of them, but I have one terrible thing and do not know how to fix it.

When I enable Java Script, I get tag along ads, all over any page I bring up, not regular spam, but plain old fashioned ads which block virtually the entire page. Does anyone know how I get Java to screen those out? apparently the McAfee scans do not have access to them as they are not in my PC,I think, but come in with Java when it is enabled.

I can use most of this site okay, but my format is different as I guess virtually all sites use Java and I have it disabled but lose functions on many sites and some entirely due to Java not being enabled.

I have no idea what to do,any there know?

Need to know a few things....like what browser are you using, operating systems, what ads are popping up, and when this starting doing this, and what site did you visit, or what file did you download. What you are encountering is a symptom of the problem, and not the actual problem. Sounds to me like you have inadvertently downloaded, or accepted a "toolbar" extension. Depending on which one it is it could be a simple fix to a complete re install. More information is needed before someone can diagnose and possibly fix the issue.

I think you are correct. It seemed to appear right after I thought I downloaded a Java upgrade. I get ads, from people like all day ads and re image.com and saver box etc. I uninstalled the entire Java program but I think any site that I opened before uninstalling it remained active and still is. I was using Google browser, but it is also on IE Windows browser. And my mail sites, gmail and hotmail are safe and clean. As is Google news, but virtually everything else is flooded with ads when I open them unless I kill Java Script but I lose features of course.

And the basic scans do not clean it up.

I have no idea how to clean it up from any Java Script operation.

Not sure if this is what you're talking about, but scroll down a bit and it has directions for removing it. If it won't let you save the host file, if you had to make any changes, you can right click on notepad, select run as administrator, open, edit, and save the file that way. Hope this fixes it for you.

http://forums.anvisoft.com/viewtopic-45-14291-0.html

I'm still working on it, I uninstalled everything connected to Java and still have it. I think they opened a side door and I do not know how to close it. But I did fall for what that article says about fake updates.

Glad I mostly use it for mail.

Did you remove any extra lines from your host file like it mentions? I believe the term I googled was java update causes flood of ads, there seems to be several pages offering fixes and programs that is supposed to fix it. Maybe search for adware and malware removing programs. Does your anti virus also search for root kits?

This post was edited on 10/27 1:06 PM by Count Hogula

This post was edited on 10/27 1:07 PM by Count Hogula

I am sure the bugs got in through a Java update but frankly, do not know all the details. My McAfee does not seem to be able to find it, and luckily for me, my email which is important to me is safe. So I will just enable Javas Script and not use the PC for much more than mail.

Thanks for the info and I assume I will end up paying someone to clean the thing.

Thanks again.

I just discovered that the windows browser I use works fine with Java off. I get a message that for gmail, it is an unsupported browser but I can use it with Java off and so , Goodby Google chrome, I will revert back to windows and I hope the virus does not invade this browser

thanks again.

You can always try system restore, take it back to a point before the update. Might lose some other programs you installed since then though.

You have to be real careful where you download programs from. There is one site notorious for having basically false programs or it is the program but its loaded with browser hijackers, aka toolbars, and this site is SOFTONIC. I do not know if softonic is behind all the infected software but they clearly do not monitor what is uploaded for others to download. Now there is a issue with Java, and its that new versions do not like old versions, and they will clash so to speak, so its important to remove the older version, and now if you go to the Adobe site (the company that provides Java free) also has built into the downloader a tool that removes the older versions of Java. I would suggest DO NOT download Java from any site other than ADOBE. It would help if I knew exactly what virus, adware, or browser hijacker you are dealing with.

Thanks, I am sure I fell for a fake Java update thing. So I am just disabling Java Script and it works fine but limits site availability at times. I did dump the Java Program and have not tried the Adobe thing, I might do that.

Actually the free boards that are left are not very active so generally I use the PC for paying bills and email.

Thanks, your info has been good.

My wife received a fake update and got about half way through before she realized something was wrong. The update looked like a regular PDF reader update but it didn't mention Adobe. It disabled Malwarebytes but I believe I was able to clean it up using Spybot and Ccleaner. Once I got it cleaned up I tried to redownload Malwarebytes but it seems to have left some residue behind that won't let me. So I uninstalled malwarebytes and it still gets an error. I need to do some research to figure out how to completely uninstall malwarebytes so I can start over. I think there are some messed up registry entries that need to be deleted. Or the new Malwarebytes just might not work with my XP system.

ADVERTISEMENT