ADVERTISEMENT

Penny Losing It

They just lost to a team who has a C no taller than their PG...They had two top 5 players on their team.

All you had to do was try to get them to run SOME sort of offense and play with marginal effort on defense.

That appears to be too hard of a request for Penny.

Will be interesting to see where Duran and Bates fall...

9-8 (3-4) and 7th in the AAC with those recruits. Hired Rasheed Wallace only for him not to be with the team anymore just a few week later. Now attacking journalists/flipping out over questions… this has all the signs of ending and ending badly haha

Hired Larry Brown too

Reactions: pokerpig
9-8 (3-4) and 7th in the AAC with those recruits. Hired Rasheed Wallace only for him not to be with the team anymore just a few week later. Now attacking journalists/flipping out over questions… this has all the signs of ending and ending badly haha
This is a fail waiting to happen. Reminds me of Clyde Drexler coaching U of H, only Clyde maintained his class and dignity and never started talking like a crip during a press conference.

Penny: "Man! We don't have no roster! If we had the roster SMU had, we'd be tearing it up."

I watched 4 minutes of that game...SMU missed 2 dunks, a layup, and jacked up 2 fade-away jumpers.

I'd fire him today if I were Memphis. It's not going to get better.

LOL. While he had a couple of guys out, his starting roster last night consisted of

#4 player in 2021 class
#5 player in 2021 class
#33 player in 2021 class
#32 player in 2020 class
#48 player in 2019 class

His bench was
#125 player in 2019 class
#133 player in 2018 class
#72 player in 2018 class

From the 4 minutes I watched, Memphis was trying to get it to Duran...but they couldn't throw an entry pass. One went off the backboard and almost went in. It was ugly.
It’s really sad to see entry passes being such a struggle for so many teams. Like, it’s too the point where if you have a guard or a team that can throw good entry passes to the post it’s the exception.

Have any of these 90’s basketball players worked out? They’re al literally being hired because of their name recognition and it rarely works out. Juwon Howard was the 1 that looked like was doing well. But even he’s struggling this year.

Penny
Stackhouse
Ewing
Mullen
Drexler
Hubert Davis (tbd)

It’s really sad to see entry passes being such a struggle for so many teams. Like, it’s too the point where if you have a guard or a team that can throw good entry passes to the post it’s the exception.
The crazy thing is he was towering over his defender...didn't even need to be a good pass...just a soft high toss over your defender...who you also tower over. Oh well, poor Memphis.

Reactions: jacksoncollier
Have any of these 90’s basketball players worked out? They’re al literally being hired because of their name recognition and it rarely works out. Juwon Howard was the 1 that looked like was doing well. But even he’s struggling this year.

Penny
Stackhouse
Ewing
Mullen
Drexler
Hubert Davis (tbd)
I was thinking of that as well. They have not done good at all. Michigan is awful this year. Might not even make the NIT.

Look at JC bringing the schadenfreude! ;)
The man's working hard, don't disrepect him. lol
I guess Larry Brown is mostly a veg these days on the sideline and in the coache's office after games.

Reactions: jacksoncollier

Penny
Stackhouse
Ewing
Mullen
Drexler
Hubert Davis (tbd)
Danny Manning

Except for Elite 8, NBA head coaching experience, making the NCAAT, etc. Penny is shi* and you know it. Now if you want to compare their NCAA records bring it, and don't use excuses for the conferences they are/were in. Penny is Mike Anderson Lite.
I wasn’t comparing resumes. I was comparing media blowups. Hell Eric gets ejected when they lose

I wasn’t comparing resumes. I was comparing media blowups. Hell Eric gets ejected when they lose
Eric has never taken Hutch or Bob Holt to task for "asking stupid questions" and "disrespecting" him. It's always been clear (at least to me, maybe not to you) that Muss' anger in the angry media conferences is aimed at the players or the officiating calls (which he can't criticize so he just pouts hintingly) or both.

Penny
Stackhouse
Ewing
Mullen
Drexler
Hubert Davis (tbd)
What defines a 90's basketball player here? Do they have to play in the NBA because lots of college coaches played college ball? Heck, Muss did (80's like Ewing, Drexler, Mullen).

IMO, you have to be hungry as hell to succeed as a coach in college football or basketball. Usually retired former players who have made millions aren't hungry in the same way.

Eric has never taken Hutch or Bob Holt to task for "asking stupid questions" and "disrespecting" him. It's always been clear (at least to me, maybe not to you) that Muss' anger in the angry media conferences is aimed at the players or the officiating calls (which he can't criticize so he just pouts hintingly) or both.
It’s not like Eric wouldn’t blow up on the media the same way Penny did, if he was being disrespected like Penny is claiming. AR media has a love affair with Eric, so there’s no critical articles or questions Like Penny gets. Hell Eric Q&A after losses are like 2 min

Loved Penny as a player and thought he'd kill it at Memphis. Kind of suprised he is doing so shitty.

Reactions: Dlewis81
Everyone was ignoring him, @HeightsHog just had to take the bait. So I blame him
Hey man, I’m jus pointing out the facts. If Eric responded the same exact way, I highly doubt the same people critical of Penny, would be the same way with Eric. Somebody has to call out the hypocrites. They’d probably say shit like “Eric is jus standing up for his players”

Why? What made you think that he could coach? Shit town/program/coach all rolled into one, no surprise

Because Memphis as a city is loaded with ballers and he has proven he can recruit. Thought he'd be able to coach a little bit.

Danny Manning

Yes he’s another one that’s struggled. He at least started at a lower level school and had a little bit of success at Tulsa. He didn’t jump into a high major job like these other guys.

What defines a 90's basketball player here? Do they have to play in the NBA because lots of college coaches played college ball? Heck, Muss did (80's like Ewing, Drexler, Mullen).

IMO, you have to be hungry as hell to succeed as a coach in college football or basketball. Usually retired former players who have made millions aren't hungry in the same way.

I’m mainly talking about the ones that had no experience outside of maybe being an assistant coach or coaching in the G League. Its very easy to see they were hired strictly because of name recognition. There was no normal progression to a mid major, like Muss and CMA, first.

Former players that are have some success are typically lesser known ex-players like Muss and Mike Anderson. Guys, like you said, that don’t already have millions in the bank.

Hey man, I’m jus pointing out the facts. If Eric responded the same exact way, I highly doubt the same people critical of Penny, would be the same way with Eric. Somebody has to call out the hypocrites. They’d probably say shit like “Eric is jus standing up for his players”

IF Eric responded this way he wouldn't get ridiculed? What is the point in saying that?

I mean this is a thread about a coach losing his shit and you turn it into a what if scenario about our coach. Weird

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT