ADVERTISEMENT

Football Pittman ready to 'saddle up' Russell, other running backs

RileyMcFerran

Managing editor
Staff
Mar 30, 2019
Lavaca, AR

An Arkansas running back room that was perceived as at least three-deep in the offseason is now struggling to maintain explosiveness due to key health concerns, but not all is lost for the unit as the Razorbacks prepare for Mississippi State on Saturday.

Star ballcarrier and former Utah transfer Ja'Quinden Jackson has received the brunt of Arkansas' carries this season — 104 attempts for 592 yards and 10 touchdowns to be exact — but head coach Sam Pittman said Monday that the redshirt senior is probably "very questionable" for the Mississippi State game after reaggravating an ankle injury against LSU over the weekend.

Assuming Jackson's snaps are limited or even completely taken away against the Bulldogs, Arkansas will have to put the rushing-attack puzzle pieces together with an unhighlighted trio: Braylen Russell, Rashod Dubinion and Rodney Hill.

"Rodney (Hill) is a guy that we need back, because he brings that toughness, that tough running, to us," Pittman said Monday. "And it's hurt us not to have him, to be honest with you. And then, unfortunately, you know, we had the fumble with (Rashod Dubinion). He's got to get over that. We believe in him, and obviously he came back in the game."

Hill transferred to the Hogs as a former member of the Florida State Seminoles, but the redshirt sophomore has missed the last two games and didn't play against LSU due to a knee injury. Dubinion has been a rotational mainstay for Arkansas since 2022, but he has only played 30 snaps across three games this season.

Down the list of potential contributors is former JUCO transfer Tyrell Reed Jr., though he's only played 12 snaps for Arkansas and the majority of those (10) came against UAPB in the season-opener. Who fans should be excited about is freshman Russell, who's flashed major potential at 6-foot-1, 253-pounds.

"But we're going to be down to those three and then of course [Tyrell] Reed," Pittman said. "And Reed's done well in practice, too. But to me, give the ball to Braylen (Russell) and let him go to work and see if he can't run it several times, because he's a big man, hard to bring down and a good player. Young doesn't mean you can't be good. We're going to turn around and let the horse eat a little bit."

Despite being fresh out of Benton High School as a former four-star prospect, Russell has racked up 127 rushing yards and two touchdowns on 27 carries through seven games. He single-handedly led the Razorbacks' lead-taking drive against then-No. 4 Tennessee on Oct. 5, a game that he averaged 7.8 rushing yards per attempt in.

"I trust all of them, but I think let’s saddle up Braylen Russell, let’s go," Pittman said. "I think he’s ready to go. Have already met with him this morning. Called him in and said, ‘Hey man, you want it, go take it.’ And I think he’s a really good player, I think he needs some confidence. We need to get him rolling, to me, early in the game. But I believe whole-heartedly in him."

Potentially leaning on a freshman to carry a rushing attack in need of production is a sketchy proposition, but it couldn't have come at a better time for the Hogs, as Mississippi State ranks 114th in rushing defense (192.4 yards allowed per game) and 91st in red zone defense.

"Braylen has been a good player for us, but I want him to know that his opportunities are going to amp up, the expectation of what he gets," Pittman said. "I wanted to throw some juice into him little bit, juice him up, and get him ready to know this is gonna be a big week for him."

Arkansas and Mississippi State are slated for an 11:45 a.m. CT kickoff on SEC Network this Saturday at Davis Wade Stadium in Starkville, Mississippi.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.