ADVERTISEMENT

Player Tweets from last night

Richmond Hog

Letterman
Gold Member
Nov 5, 2010
I know I'm probably just angry and bitter. Well, not "probably," I'm absolutely angry and bitter.

I have to admit that it was hard to read the player Tweets last night after the election results. I'm glad that I controlled myself and didn't respond to any of them. I didn't even "unfollow" anyone. But, I would be lying if I didn't admit that it changes the way I feel about the team. I know that sounds bad and I'm not proud of it, but it's true. I'm sure I will eventually get over it.

I'm not sure Twitter is a good thing for fans. I think I was happier not knowing what they're thinking and saying. And the election is just the latest thing. I have seen other Tweets that provide a small window into their non-football lives, and I'm not sure I want to look through those windows anymore. The post game reactions are interesting to me, but not the rest of it. I'm thinking about unfollowing the players, but I didn't want to do it last night when they were all laughing about people unfollowing them because of the election results. It felt like a race issue and I didn't want to be included in that. But, I am thinking about it.

Anyone else feel the same way?

Originally posted by Richmond Hog:
I know I'm probably just angry and bitter. Well, not "probably," I'm absolutely angry and bitter.

I have to admit that it was hard to read the player Tweets last night after the election results. I'm glad that I controlled myself and didn't respond to any of them. I didn't even "unfollow" anyone. But, I would be lying if I didn't admit that it changes the way I feel about the team. I know that sounds bad and I'm not proud of it, but it's true. I'm sure I will eventually get over it.

I'm not sure Twitter is a good thing for fans. I think I was happier not knowing what they're thinking and saying. And the election is just the latest thing. I have seen other Tweets that provide a small window into their non-football lives, and I'm not sure I want to look through those windows anymore. The post game reactions are interesting to me, but not the rest of it. I'm thinking about unfollowing the players, but I didn't want to do it last night when they were all laughing about people unfollowing them because of the election results. It felt like a race issue and I didn't want to be included in that. But, I am thinking about it.

You'll get over it. You have no choice!

If you are actually "angry and bitter", then you probably don't need to worry about anyone else.

This is why I don't use Twitter (or Facebook). I don't want to know people's every thought and what they're doing every waking moment. Remember something though... when people get really upset they lash out and many times say things they don't really mean...not really. Some people's word choice might be miscontrued, too. That's why words are so important. Once you say them, you can't take them back. They're out there, and people will judge you on your word choice. Last night was an emotional night for many people. I always try to practice the "golden rule" when in doubt about anything---do under others as you would have them do unto you. Would you want others to cut you some slack if you had an emotional outburst last night? If the answer is "yes"--cut them some slack. :)

I am confused. What could the players have possibly tweeted about the election results that caused you to be angry and bitter. I get that politics are very important but I do not understand the why some people get like this over it.

This may sound bad but it's the truth.

If it would have been 2 white guys running for President there wouldn't have probably been a single tweet from the majority of college Athletes.

It's just what it is. The same reason that a lot of Professional athletes donated to Obamas election campaign. It's the country we live in there's no true unity. Everyone's out for their own when it all boils down.

There's a crazy number of people that voted yesterday based on their race, and it goes both ways. As dumb as that sounds it happens.
This post was edited on 11/7 10:01 AM by ChargerHog

Originally posted by eezycheez:

I am confused. What could the players have possibly tweeted about the election results that caused you to be angry and bitter. I get that politics are very important but I do not understand the why some people get like this over it.
I read that he was just angry and bitter in general about the way the election turned out and seeing the tweets further pissed him off. Regardless, I'm sure the tweets are what you'd expect.

Disclosure: I don't have twitter for facebook so I have no clue what was actually said.

I have a personal policy about not following players on twitter. The election has nothing to do with it. The OP's remark about the small window into their personal lives is a big part of it.

Also, they rarely say anything interesting. In the event that they do, it gets retweeted everywhere immediately and I'll see it regardless.

Why become upset over who someone votes for? It's what makes America great.

Thank goodness you didn't start responding to kids tweets. Sounds like some fans should stay off twitter for the benefit of everyone.

Very simple if you ask me.

Players aren't going to tweet things that please you ALL the time (or even half the time). They're 17-22-year-old young men. If you choose to follow them (and no one makes you do that), be prepared for strong song lyrics that you don't like, attitudes you don't like, political views you cannot stand, stupid comments after games that make you think they don't care, late-night tweets before a game that make you wonder what they're doing up, and everything else you can think of that would be viewed as 'negative' from a fan's perspective. Trust me, I follow kids on Twitter for a living and sometimes even I have to send a DM to let them know to be careful because people are watching them now. If it's too much, then don't follow them. Wish it was that easy for me sometimes, haha. But you can't get upset when it happens because you're the one that followed them.

That being said, I've never been a fan of players being on Twitter. Like Cowherd said once, there's absolutely ZERO to gain and EVERYTHING to lose with one wrong tweet. You really have to be soooo careful. If that means deleting your Twitter app for the day on game day or election day, so be it. Better to do that than slip up and say something you'll regret.

Last night I saw one player's facebook and was sickened by how many fans turned his timeline into a message board for political and race debates. Granted, this player was probably looking for trouble, but the fans were stupid enough to start chiming in with their views. It's stupid and embarrassing in my opinion.

Honestly, Facebook and Twitter make me sick. Nowadays even I can't make an opinion on either one because there are people out there just waiting for you to say something so they can twist it or try to call you on it. I've got no time for that.

My final word would be, take it easy on the guys. They haven't been able to enjoy very many wins lately. :)

My post may have been misinterpreted. I was not "angry and bitter" specifically at the players. I'm just angry and bitter about the election in general. The player tweets just rubbed salt in the wound. Some of my friends are rubbing salt in the wound today too, but I can't "unfriend" my real friends. Oh well.

But I really am considering not following the players on twitter for the reasons stated above. In the end, a 44 year old man really has no reason to pay attention to the personal lives of a bunch of 20 year old guys. Now 20 year old girls, well, that's another story altogether. 44 year old men and girls in their 20's have a lot in common, right? Please don't say "no" because I don't want to accept more bad news today.

My post may have been misinterpreted. I was not "angry and bitter" specifically at the players. I'm just angry and bitter about the election in general. The player tweets just rubbed salt in the wound. Some of my friends are rubbing salt in the wound today too, but I can't "unfriend" my real friends. Oh well.

But I really am considering not following the players on twitter for the reasons stated above. In the end, a 44 year old man really has no reason to pay attention to the personal lives of a bunch of 20 year old guys. Now 20 year old girls, well, that's another story altogether. 44 year old men and girls in their 20's have a lot in common, right? Please don't say "no" because I don't want to accept more bad news today.
20 yr old girls and 44 year old men can work as long as the 44 yr old doesn't try to be young and hip and the girl has a thing for older guys.

Originally posted by Danny West:
Very simple if you ask me.

Players aren't going to tweet things that please you ALL the time (or even half the time). They're 17-22-year-old young men. If you choose to follow them (and no one makes you do that), be prepared for strong song lyrics that you don't like, attitudes you don't like, political views you cannot stand, stupid comments after games that make you think they don't care, late-night tweets before a game that make you wonder what they're doing up, and everything else you can think of that would be viewed as 'negative' from a fan's perspective. Trust me, I follow kids on Twitter for a living and sometimes even I have to send a DM to let them know to be careful because people are watching them now. If it's too much, then don't follow them. Wish it was that easy for me sometimes, haha. But you can't get upset when it happens because you're the one that followed them.

That being said, I've never been a fan of players being on Twitter. Like Cowherd said once, there's absolutely ZERO to gain and EVERYTHING to lose with one wrong tweet. You really have to be soooo careful. If that means deleting your Twitter app for the day on game day or election day, so be it. Better to do that than slip up and say something you'll regret.

Last night I saw one player's facebook and was sickened by how many fans turned his timeline into a message board for political and race debates. Granted, this player was probably looking for trouble, but the fans were stupid enough to start chiming in with their views. It's stupid and embarrassing in my opinion.

Honestly, Facebook and Twitter make me sick. Nowadays even I can't make an opinion on either one because there are people out there just waiting for you to say something so they can twist it or try to call you on it. I've got no time for that.

My final word would be, take it easy on the guys. They haven't been able to enjoy very many wins lately. :)
Good post Danny. I also find it amazing I totally agree with Cowherd for once lol (I prolly have a couple of times but still don't like the POS because he isn't a reporter in the true sense of the word but rather a ratings gatherer and screw any of his own actual beliefs.

I have never used nor even seen twitter used, as for face book goes I guess it is alright if people realize it is up and out there for ever. A mate of mine told me about this apprentice at work that had posted on his facebook about this girl he picked up on a Friday night and went on about how much of a skanky sl!t she was and bla bla bla (nothing nice at all) and anyway a couple of other apprentices were reading it and laughing while Kevin came in (ex prison guard and girls father) . None of them knew that he was her father and anyway come Monday they were in the work truck and Kevin calmly asked about this dudes Friday night and he said basically the same thing but worse and Kevin stopped the truck and dragged his arse out and beat the living sh!t outta him lol.

It can be a good thing but man can it hurt ya if you don't watch what you say.

I know that all the players are really torn up about this. I saw that a players only meeting has been called to address angry and bitter old white guy not liking their tweets. I think Ole Miss is taking applications for new fans. Free confederate flag if you sign up.

Some people seem to have a difficult time reading.

As always, things seem to have gotten away from what was originally posted. It usually takes about five posts for that to happen.

It was a comment about following players on Twitter and the election highlighted the point for me. That's it. But now I'm a racist who needs to go to Ole Miss.

You know...I have a different opinion. I saw several players engaging in political dialogue that indicate, to me anyway, that many of our players are intelligent and interested in the affairs of the nation. Yes, most lean heavily towards the left...but that would be true regardless of the Democratic candidate's race.

Chris Gragg is a great example. I enjoyed following his tweets during each of the presidential debates. He was completely engaged and had some very-well thought out points to make.

No, they don't know what they don't know...and sometimes come across as uninformed. But that's true of every 18-22 year old, regardless of race or political persuasion.

I dont know why you put so much emphasis on their tweets. When it comes to politics, 99% of them probably couldn't tell you 3 things about where each candidate stands.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

ADVERTISEMENT