ADVERTISEMENT

Projecting Arkansas' depth chart

masonchoate

Publisher
Staff
Sep 1, 2021
IMG_2496.JPG

The Arkansas football team is officially one week away from opening its season against in-state foe UAPB at War Memorial Stadium in Little Rock, and the Razorbacks' first official depth chart will be released soon.

Arkansas will have a new-look squad next Thursday against the Golden Lions of Arkansas-Pine Bluff. While some positions are locked down, such as quarterback, others remain up for grabs with time ticking down until the first snap.

After watching all of Arkansas' open spring and fall camp practices, I've projected the Hogs' three-deep depth chart and given reasoning behind specific decisions...

-----------------------

FIRST TEAM​

First Team Offense
Position, No.PlayerHeight/WeightClass
QB, #10Taylen Green6'6"/230 lbsR-Jr
RB, #22Ja'Quinden Jackson6'2"/233 lbsR-Sr
TE, #9Luke Hasz6'3"/241 lbsSo
WR, #2Andrew Armstrong6'4"/202 lbs*R-Sr
WR, #5Tyrone Broden6'7"/200 lbs*R-Sr
SWR, #6Isaiah Sategna5'11"/185 lbsR-So
LT, #55Fernando Carmona Jr.6'5"/322 lbsR-Jr
LG, #75Patrick Kutas6'5"/313 lbsJr
C, #63Addison Nichols6'5"/329 lbsR-So
RG, #72Joshua Braun6'6"/338 lbsR-Sr
RT, #54Keyshawn Blackstock6'5"/324 lbsR-Jr

* - final season of eligibility

Most of the first team offense can be written in Sharpie in at this point. Taylen Green has been the starting quarterback since he signed, Ja'Quinden Jackson is clearly the top running back, Luke Hasz is a star at tight end and the top three receivers are pretty clear.

ALSO READ: Petrino says Arkansas offense remains work in progress

On the offensive line, we saw movement at left guard and center due to Patrick Kutas having a back injury through most of fall camp. Redshirt sophomore E'Marion Harris is who I would start at left guard if Kutas isn't healthy. We did, however, see Addison Nichols move from center to left guard a few times with backup Amaury Wiggins also running at first team center and left guard briefly.

I feel like this first team offense is pretty much a set group unless injuries occur. For a group of 11 starters, this is pretty solid, in my opinion. I think they've got some depth issues, specifically on the offensive line and maybe at receiver, but the top tier players could end up being really good if things click under Bobby Petrino.

First Team Defense
Position, No.PlayerHeight/WeightClass
DE, #40Landon Jackson6'7"/280 lbsSr
DT, #5Cam Ball6'5"/324 lbsR-Jr
DT, #50Eric Gregory6'4"/320 lbs*R-Sr
DE, #0Nico Davillier6'4"/271 lbsJr
LB, #22Brad Spence6'2"/238 lbsSo
LB, #10Xavian Sorey Jr.6'3"/225 lbsR-Jr
Hog, #3Doneiko Slaughter6'0"/190 lbs*Sr
S, #17Hudson Clark6'2"/191 lbs*R-Sr
S, #8Jayden Johnson6'2"/205 lbsSr
CB, #15Jaheim Singletary6'2"/187 lbsR-So
CB, #11Jaylon Braxton6'0"/190 lbsSo

* - final season of eligibility

Unlike the first team offense, not all of these could be considered for sure starters on defense. I'd consider one spot at every position up for grabs, other than defensive tackle.

FCS All-American transfer Anton Juncaj is right on Davillier's tail at defensive end. The transfer duo of Stephen Dix Jr. and Anthony Switzer are also pushing to start at linebacker, where I think Xavian Sorey Jr. is a definite starter. I'd still give Brad Spence the edge as a starter, as of now.

ALSO READ: Jackson leads dominant defense in final scrimmage as Razorback

In the secondary, I'd count on Jaylon Braxton at corner and Jaydon Johnson at safety to be on the field for the first snap of the season. Hudson Clark should also start at safety, although we saw them mess around with that second safety spot in fall camp.

My personal preference at the second cornerback spot is Jaheim Singletary, but there are a few other names who could be there. Tennessee transfer Doneiko Slaughter will be solid at the Hog (nickel) spot, and he should be the starter.
-----------------------

Reactions: cfcjr50 and Mass31
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.