ADVERTISEMENT

Hoops Projecting Arkansas' starting five

RileyMcFerran

Managing editor
Staff
Mar 30, 2019
Lavaca, AR

From @DanielFair

The Arkansas basketball team is gearing up for the start of the regular season, which begins on Nov. 6 against Lipscomb. Preseason charity exhibitions at home against Kansas on Oct. 25 and in Fort Worth against TCU on Nov. 1 will take place before the official season opener.

First-year head coach John Calipari arrived at Arkansas in April with zero scholarship players on the roster, so he had to go out and build his team from scratch. He retained one scholarship player — junior forward Trevon Brazile — from last year's team, but aside from Brazile, every player is at Arkansas for the first time.

Utilizing both the transfer portal and high school ranks, Calipari now has a full roster of players. There are seven transfers and five high school prospects who will be on the floor for the Razorbacks this season.

During a press conference last week, Calipari said there are still several aspects of the team that haven't been set in stone yet. He used the summer for individual development, and the preseason exhibitions will be a good way to test his team against live competition.

"How do we play for this team to be at its best?" Calipari said. "We’re going to play fast, we’re going to be unselfish, but how do you get into playing fast? Who takes it out of bounds with this group? I’ve done different things. I’ve had the 5 take it out, I’ve had the 4 take it out, I’ve had the 3 take it out different places because of those teams. We’re still working that through."

With the season just a few short weeks away, let's take a look at what HawgBeat believes is the most likely starting five when the ball is tipped.

Point Guard — DJ Wagner​

cmcoi5dfu7xvcdtd9exs

You can go ahead and Sharpie DJ Wagner in as the starting point guard. The former five-star followed Calipari from Kentucky after he came to Fayetteville from Lexington, and Calipari said he's been one of his biggest leaders on the team so far.

"I'm expecting a lot from him," Calipari said. "You want his leadership. When you walk in my gym, the voice you hear is his ... which means he's into his team. And now, I want him to do what you do."

As a freshman at Kentucky, Wagner was named SEC Freshman of the Week three times and he averaged 9.9 points and 3.3 rebounds per game. Wagner was injury plagued his freshman campaign, but Calipari said Wagner is healthy now and is as athletic as he's ever been.

Calipari is known for getting the most out of his guards, and Wagner seems to fit the bill as the next great one to come from his factory.

He was the No. 6 player in the country in the 2023 class according to Rivals for a reason, as he's got great handles and is explosive in getting to the basket. While he doesn't shoot a ton of threes, he's capable of knocking them down and keeping defenses honest.

Shooting Guard — Johnell Davis​

xlvbvewzwkc4gh2onrel

Johnell Davis comes to Arkansas after a four-year stint at Florida Atlantic, and was one of the top players out of the transfer portal this past spring. He was instrumental in the Owls' Final Four run in 2023, and he followed that season up by having his best offensive year with 18.2 points per game last season.

The Gary, Indiana, native had interest from some NBA teams after last season ended but opted to come to Arkansas instead, where he will be a focal point of the Arkansas offense.

A threat to score from anywhere on the floor, Davis has the ability to break down defenders off the bounce and get to the rim as well as a three-point shot that will help with spacing for his teammates to thrive as well.

Davis' offense will complement Wagner's game well, and though he probably won't be asked to do much facilitating of the offense in the off-guard spot, he's more than capable as he averaged 2.9 assists per game last season with the Owls.

CLICK HERE FOR THE REST OF THE STARTING 5

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.