ADVERTISEMENT

Question to the board about defensive backfield schemes

Apr 25, 2006
I'm not a coach but if the D line can't get to the QB I see why you play off the receivers. That way you don't get a bump and run with a guy loose down the field and the QB sitting there waiting for it to happen.....but why not bump and run then confuse the middle with surprise blitzpackages and or play 2 safeties to roll over to the outside to pick up deeper routes and have an LB play an inside route if receivers break in the middle? Am I missing something?

I'm not a coach but if the D line can't get to the QB I see why you play off the receivers. That way you don't get a bump and run with a guy loose down the field and the QB sitting there waiting for it to happen.....but why not bump and run then confuse the middle with surprise blitzpackages and or play 2 safeties to roll over to the outside to pick up deeper routes and have an LB play an inside route if receivers break in the middle? Am I missing something?
You can also look at it this way. We can't get to the QB because our DB's are playing off the WR's allowing the QB to release the pass very quickly. You've seem them get a quick pass, break a tackle and go for a big gain. I've also seen our DB's press the WR and get shoved to he side like a rag doll so it's probably better to drop off and try to keep the play in front of us and hope for a penalty or a turnover. Bottom line we need better athletes back there and more development because right now our secondary stinks! Also, in the Ole Miss game we were getting to the QB but couldn't wrap him up. I think our tackles were getting manhandled leaving huge gaps for the QB to escape. I think our depth on the DL was over rated!

You can also look at it this way. We can't get to the QB because our DB's are playing off the WR's allowing the QB to release the pass very quickly. You've seem them get a quick pass, break a tackle and go for a big gain. I've also seen our DB's press the WR and get shoved to he side like a rag doll so it's probably better to drop off and try to keep the play in front of us and hope for a penalty or a turnover. Bottom line we need better athletes back there and more development because right now our secondary stinks! Also, in the Ole Miss game we were getting to the QB but couldn't wrap him up. I think our tackles were getting manhandled leaving huge gaps for the QB to escape. I think our depth on the DL was over rated!
The old adage is interceptions are the result of a good pass rush, and sacks are the result of good coverage. The thing is, if you have the talent you can draw up about anything you want and it will work. If you do not, you attempt to use schemes to protect the weakest part of the defense. So the coaching staff if they are decent coaches, do the best they can with the talent they see, no magic formulas involved.

Hopefully they'll recruit some DBs that have man to man skills. I also suspect there was a lot of practice time spent on tackling, or there should have been. Can't remember when the last time I saw so many missed tackles was, during the JLS year I think.

Hopefully they'll recruit some DBs that have man to man skills. I also suspect there was a lot of practice time spent on tackling, or there should have been. Can't remember when the last time I saw so many missed tackles was, during the JLS year I think.
In the last few years it seems to me that tackling has become a lost art on virtually all levels of play. And arm tackling or throwing your body at the other guy is not tackling, but maybe the speed of the game is partially to blame.

Whats the count as far as when we are getting to the QB.. I haven't heard it stated. Is it a matter of fact that our DL is getting there late or what you say....that they are just getting it off early?

Whats the count as far as when we are getting to the QB.. I haven't heard it stated. Is it a matter of fact that our DL is getting there late or what you say....that they are just getting it off early?
I don't have stats other than I think we're last in sacks so the QB is getting rid of the ball. Our DB play last year was much better but I do have to admit that Flowers, Philon and Spaight were much better at rushing the QB and that might be a huge difference.

I don't have stats other than I think we're last in sacks so the QB is getting rid of the ball. Our DB play last year was much better but I do have to admit that Flowers, Philon and Spaight were much better at rushing the QB and that might be a huge difference.
I guess Wise and crew stepped it up!!!!!

Its amazing how much improvement in sacks, hard to figure how or why, but good news and I hope it is the new trend.
You are right.....Its like, what happened. Didn't even seem like the same team on the rush. We broke down a good line....that is if you count the stars! LOL!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT