ADVERTISEMENT

Response to Trey's Burrito Discussion posts

SWCHog

Signee
Gold Member
Jan 20, 2012
Below is my response to some or our beloved leader Trey Biddy's posts on the Burrito discussion. I have reposted it on this new thread. My reasoning is because of the health issues I am now facing. I grew up a 3 sport athlete in High School and participated in track and football in college. I exercised on and off throughout my adult years. At one time, late 80's, I was not only Larry Parrish's pastor, but I was his off season weight training coach/partner. Larry was the DH for the Texas Rangers in those days. He would laugh and say, "I''m the only guy in professional sports who has a pastor that can out bench press him." But in s matter of 10 years, I stopped working out, ate pretty healthy because I married a "home cook", but ice cream and late night snacks caused me to bloom up to 360 lbs with a bad back and sciatica problems. I used my bad back as an excuse, along with being too tired, for not exercising. This is my response to Trey's posts.

Trey,
Thanks for your input. We started off talking about burritos and this discussion has touched upon a lot of topics from Round Up to GMO's to healthy eating. I want to say two things to you Trey from a personal stand point. #1. Your diet sounds boring . But my personal health issues are heading me that way. I grew up a red meat and potatoes loving diet. My profession when I first started out, the ministry - pastored churches- financially forced us to eat mostly poultry, but I was still heavy on the starches. Recently it has been lots of veggies, fresh veggies..sometimes organic when on sale and fruits. One of the best purchases I have made in the past 2 years was a Vitamix blender. I make late night smoothies (all natural ) added stuff with fruit, nuts or seeds (sometimes), yogurt &/or Almond Milk of Coconut water and ice. I love the Vitamix because it is the first blender I have found that does not burn up when crunching ice of fruit I have frozen. Also, the Vitamix allows me to smoothly blend apples- stem, seeds, core and all. Same thing for citrus seeds. My hardest thing was to replace late night snacks and especially ice cream. The Vitamix has really been a blessing in that regard. Over the past 18 mo this I have lost approx 100 lbs! Still about 20 to 25 lbs over my lowest playing weight which was 235 to 245 lbs back in the early 70's.

For the guys who argued that GMO's are not affecting our bodies is ridiculous. How come the starting offensive and defensive lines in our only national championship football team of 1964 are not hardly big enough to play in the defensive backfield on today's team? Our SWC nose guard on that team played at 190 to 195 lbs, Jimmy Johnson. Ten years later our offensive line were guys playing 215 to 250 lbs. 250lbs and the coaches were telling you to lose weight in most cases! TE were 205 to 220...Matt Morrison. Donald Fultcher weighed 210 to 215 and he was a starting guard. Big Lee King was only 240 to 250, best & biggest offensive tackle on our 74 team. The Honorable John Boseman on the 71 & 72 team was an offensive tackle at 235 lbs and we gave him a hard time for being fat! I could go on about the size and weights of offensive linemen I played with including Greg Koch and RC Thielman, and they were minuscule in weight compared to today's standards. There is a reason why our bodies have changed in the past 50 years.

Secondly Trey, thank for your input because I now run and own with my sons an Organic Fertilization & Pest Control business. I will only say this, the general population does not understand the degree that new weeds are popping up that are resistant to the conventional man made chemicals. These pests are becoming more prevalent every season/year in their lawns. I frequently hear people say, "I have got weeds in my yard that I have never seen before. What kind of weed is this?" Pests, plant & turf fungal diseases and insect infestations are becoming more prevalent and resistant to conventional chemicals. I appreciate your information on this subject as well Trey.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.