ADVERTISEMENT

Baseball Return of the Mac: McEntire 'Mr. Reliable' in big weekend

RileyMcFerran

Managing editor
Staff
Mar 30, 2019
Lavaca, AR

When you look at Arkansas right-hander Will McEntire, you probably wouldn't know that you're watching one of the best relief pitchers in the SEC. He doesn't have high velocity or the nastiest offspeed pitches, but his humble attitude, endurance and experience have made him into the player that he is today — one that plays a crucial role for the Hogs.

During No. 1 Arkansas' three-game series against No. 8 LSU over the weekend, McEntire made two appearances and pitched a combined four innings of relief. In that span, the redshirt-senior struck out nine batters with only three walks, two runs and five hits, plus he earned the save Saturday for his efforts.

"That’s one reason we put him there, because he’s older, he’s been there, and he really doesn’t get rattled," head coach Dave Van Horn said Saturday. "He just came in there and did what he does. I’m just excited for him. He’s really having a good year for us and he’s been Mr. Reliable."

Recently known for his "Ironman Will" moniker, McEntire wasn't expected to pitch in the third game of the series with the Razorbacks up 2-0 in the series and because he had already thrown in the first game against the Tigers. That didn't stop the Bryant native from nudging his way into the fold, though.

"I didn’t write his name on the board, I didn’t write it on the lineup card," Van Horn said. "And I always post the lineup card by the locker room. When I went and got it right before we went out to stretch, his name just appeared on there. Because I guess he wrote it on there.

"I said something to Coach (Matt) Hobbs, and he said, ‘Yeah, he wrote it on there.’ We didn’t want him doing much, and I guess he threw 24 pitches, and that was all he needed to throw right there. Glad it worked out."

McEntire's team-first mentality is unique in today's day and age. There aren't any spectacles, drama-filled tirades or anything of the sort. The guy just wants to pitch — and after three seasons of roller-coaster production — he now has a legitimate case for team MVP.

"It’s like he’s insurance," Van Horn said. "You just know you can go to that guy. He’s always ready to pitch, he wants to pitch. He’s like rubber arm, never bothers him. It’s kind of like having a security blanket in a way. Every team that’s good had a guy like that in the bullpen, who’s just probably going to throw — he’s going to get a lot of appearances. It’s not going to go good every time, but he gives you everything he’s got and that’s all you can ask."

Across his 13 appearances and 32.2 innings pitched, McEntire has a team second-best 1.93 ERA (behind only Hagen Smith) with 41 strikeouts, six walks, seven earned runs, 22 hits and three saves.

McEntire and the Diamond Hogs will take the field again at Baum-Walker Stadium on Tuesday for a matchup against the Arkansas State Red Wolves. First pitch is set for 6 p.m. CT and the game will stream on SEC Network+.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News