ADVERTISEMENT

Rumor

J.C. Rose

Starter
Gold Member
Jun 25, 2003
Some in Men's bball team may kneel tonight during National Anthem.

How will this go over for MA?

I just don't understand the logic in protesting police violence by disrespecting our military members.

False equivalency. There is no disrespect to the military by kneeling at the anthem. Anthems are purely political.

They are protesting - silently and peacefully - a social situation they view as unequal. Are they right? Maybe. There is certainly a history for it if nothing else. But to not pledge during the anthem of a nation you view as treating you poorly is about a simple as a protest can be.

We cannot condemn people for rioting and sitting in the streets and on the bridges and then turn around and condemn them for also protesting silently and peacefully. People get to protest, and I certainly prefer the latter.

Last edited:
False equivalency. There is no disrespect to the military by kneeling at the anthem. Anthems are purely political.

They are protesting - silently and peacefully - a social situation they view as unequal. Are they right? Maybe. There is certainly a history for it if nothing else. But to pledge during the anthem of a nation you view as treating you poorly is about a simple as a protest can be.

We cannot condemn people for rioting and sitting in the streets and on the bridges and then turn around and condemn them for also protesting silently and peacefully. People get to protest, and I certainly prefer the latter.

Yea this nation has treated them terribly. Give me a break. Maybe they forgot history when there were truly real struggles. When people take accountability for their actions and quit playing victim our country will move forward.

I hate to see the backlash MA will take if they do this because I've been one of his biggest supporters. But this could be tough given the scars of programs past.

They are protesting - silently and peacefully - a social situation they view as unequal. Are they right? Maybe. There is certainly a history for it if nothing else. But to pledge during the anthem of a nation you view as treating you poorly is about a simple as a protest can be.

Just not the time or place, when we honor our Nation and the Military who defend it.

I just wish everyone would just stfu. Did anyone die? Is anyone being abused? I'm not a fan of the kneeling but damn is it THAT big of a deal?

Reactions: DirkPiggler
I just dont get how they "protest" one night a week when they play. Protest when you go to class and on social media and in your friend groups if you're trying to stand for something while kneeling.

Dont make a spectacle of it - live it out daily.

Are you a lawyer? Or a politician.

Reactions: hawgclucker
One thing people need to keep in mind is that the University, including its sports teams, is a public institution, which means it is covered by the First Amendment. We have all heard the story that Jerry Jones told the Cowboys they had to stand during the anthem because it was his show. He is a private employer, so he can do that. However, if the players want to protest in this manner, neither MA nor Jeff Long can legally stand in their way. So you shouldn't take your anger/frustration out on them.

Yea this nation has treated them terribly. Give me a break. Maybe they forgot history when there were truly real struggles. When people take accountability for their actions and quit playing victim our country will move forward.

I hate to see the backlash MA will take if they do this because I've been one of his biggest supporters. But this could be tough given the scars of programs past.

Well, I'm not brilliant, and social history isn't my area, but I am working towards a history PhD and I do a lot of reading and studying. It's not even arguable that the history of minorities in this country has been anything but pleasant. There are still reverberations of the attitudes that came with it, such as "Maybe they forgot real history when there were truly real struggles." Struggle is subjective, I suppose, but they have had their share of struggles and they were very much real to them if no one else.

They are taking initiative to elucidate a social ill. That is not being a victim, that is being an American.

It's their choice to be upset with certain things going on in society. Im all for any kind of protest, if it's something you believe in. But by no means should the American flag or the National Anthem be part of any protest. You dont have to sing it, but you better freakin stand with your hand over your heart and respect those who put their lives on the line so that we may live in freedom.

As 1-1-Six said, live it out daily. Not just on a national format to bring attention to yourselves, that's selfish. Especially when you're gettin to go to school for FREE and play a game.

One thing people need to keep in mind is that the University, including its sports teams, is a public institution, which means it is covered by the First Amendment. We have all heard the story that Jerry Jones told the Cowboys they had to stand during the anthem because it was his show. He is a private employer, so he can do that. However, if the players want to protest in this manner, neither MA nor Jeff Long can legally stand in their way. So you shouldn't take your anger/frustration out on them.
The Jerry story was false.

Reactions: OleRedHog

I just don't agree with your first paragraph at all. Just because you say, "There is no disprespect to the military" doesn't mean there isn't.

Reactions: Blackoak11
You are right, it comes down to who pays the bill. As donors we do...

Give me a break. Maybe they forgot history when there were truly real struggles. When people take accountability for their actions and quit playing victim our country will move forward.

Eric Garner, John Crawford, Trayvon Martin, Tony Robinson, and Walter Scott would also like for people to take responsibility for their actions.

Reactions: HogPocket9455

They are protesting - silently and peacefully - a social situation they view as unequal. Are they right? Maybe. There is certainly a history for it if nothing else. But to not pledge during the anthem of a nation you view as treating you poorly is about a simple as a protest can be.

They're followers who think they're standing for something but all they're doing is following some others idiots poor example.

I just dont get how they "protest" one night a week when they play. Protest when you go to class and on social media and in your friend groups if you're trying to stand for something while kneeling.

Dont make a spectacle of it - live it out daily.
The "spectacle" gets more people to talk about it and that is the first step to making the changes that are needed.

IMO I think the kneeling part should stop now because everyone is already talking about. Now it's time to go out in the community and make a difference.

The outrage from some fans and especially politicians is what pisses me off. These women aren't disrespecting the military or police. Go search the #veteransforkaepernick on twitter or read this article if you think people who served or are active duty don't support the protests
https://www.google.com/amp/www.sbna...test-military-sit-during-anthem?client=safari

Reactions: 1-1-Six Hog
I think everyone needs to remember these are 18 to 21 kids. I know my thought process was a lot different at that age.

Also, kids are just raised differently in today's world, respect is totally different than 20 plus years ago. Not that all these people kneeling are purposely disrespecting what many feel the Anthem defines.

Eric Garner, John Crawford, Trayvon Martin, Tony Robinson, and Walter Scott would also like for people to take responsibility for their actions.

And thousands of others. And thousands of white idiots that were killed when they shouldn't have been.

Gmafb

Also, kids are just raised differently in today's world, respect is totally different than 20 plus years ago. Not that all these people kneeling are purposely disrespecting what many feel the Anthem defines.

"I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color"

Reactions: terrylsar
I just don't agree with your first paragraph at all. Just because you say, "There is no disprespect to the military" doesn't mean there isn't.

That is your right, and it is a good example of how we all perceive things a little differently.

They're followers who think they're kneeling for something but all they're doing is following some others idiots poor example.

That's just not true. Also, fixed it for you.

Reactions: terrylsar

Totally agree with you on people playing victims. I'm about to lose hope on this country moving forward. It's a sad time. Hopefully it will get better. I fear for my children. I was a lucky kid to be raised in the 60's and 70's. Of course Vietnam was no picnic for those who fought in that war. People will survive, but the Flag just isn't respected anymore. As a retired military man it makes me extremely sad.

This is getting out of hand. Mike already has a lot of fans on his back as he's been nothing but mediocre except for one year since being here. If he were to allow this, just don't see it going over well. It's their right to protest, but its still very disrespectful.

I'm assuming the majority of you saying this is disrespectful to the military respect and value Nate Boyer and his opinion. He was the one who encourage Kaepernick to kneel instead of sit, and he had this to say about kneeling during the anthem:

“Soldiers take a knee in front of a fallen brother’s grave, you know, to show respect. When we’re on a patrol, you know, and we go into a security halt, we take a knee, and we pull security.”

Doesn't seem like he thinks it's disrespectful at all, actually appears to be the opposite.

If it were a bunch of white guys getting shot, beat, or harassed by the police, this wouldn't be an issue. It wouldn't be on TV, and most people wouldn't give a shit.
95% of the struggles over had in life, we're brought on by some decision that I MADE. Anytime something goes bad in my world, the first question I ask myself, is what did I DO to bring this on...

If they do that I can guarantee the U of A will never get another dollar from me. If it wasn't for salarvery in this country how in the world do they think they would be doing today. It surely wouldn't be playing basketball tonight for sure. I am getting sick and tired of all this winning by only 13% of the people who make up this country. Yes this country is about freedom but it is also about respect for our freedom and others. When you cross the line beyond your personal believes in a public university forum your stepping on others peoples rights as well . They will step on mine and yes I will be pissed off about it . Therefore I have a right to protest too and that you have a can kiss my ass going forward . You have to stand for principal at some point , this young generation has no clue about the discipline of freedom . Let's just let everybody do their own thing and you done think this country is screwed if that is the attitude of this millennial group

Is taking a knee really all that big of a deal? I mean in the big picture of things, it just doesn't feel like a big deal to me. Maybe if they turned their back or gave the flag the finger, I would get the uproar, but to me this feels like faux outrage by many

Well, I'm not brilliant, and social history isn't my area, but I am working towards a history PhD and I do a lot of reading and studying. It's not even arguable that the history of minorities in this country has been anything but pleasant. There are still reverberations of the attitudes that came with it, such as "Maybe they forgot real history when there were truly real struggles." Struggle is subjective, I suppose, but they have had their share of struggles and they were very much real to them if no one else.

They are taking initiative to elucidate a social ill. That is not being a victim, that is being an American.

You are looking at this from a very educated perspective and I thank you for that. Best argument for kneeling that I have come across. I do not care that the NFL players are kneeling, their next contract will take care of that in a preformace based business. My stance on a college student, representing a state that has given them the opportunity to better themselves (scholarship, food, clothes, shelter to name a few) through tax dollars and its people is out of line. For that opportunity they give a service, so they are at work...pretty awesome work if I don't say so and while you are at work your actions reflect on your superiors. Nothing should happen to these ladies but the education process across the board has to improve

Is taking a knee really all that big of a deal? I mean in the big picture of things, it just doesn't feel like a big deal to me. Maybe if they turned their back or gave the flag the finger, I would get the uproar, but to me this feels like faux outrage by many

Of course it is faux outrage in an attempt to ignore the real issue at hand. It's a lot easier to get pissed about something than it is to try and understand why these people feel this way.

If they do that I can guarantee the U of A will never get another dollar from me. If it wasn't for salarvery in this country how in the world do they think they would be doing today. It surely wouldn't be playing basketball tonight for sure. I am getting sick and tired of all this winning by only 13% of the people who make up this country. Yes this country is about freedom but it is also about respect for our freedom and others. When you cross the line beyond your personal believes in a public university forum your stepping on others peoples rights as well . They will step on mine and yes I will be pissed off about it . Therefore I have a right to protest too and that you have a can kiss my ass going forward . You have to stand for principal at some point , this young generation has no clue about the discipline of freedom . Let's just let everybody do their own thing and you done think this country is screwed if that is the attitude of this millennial group

Did you just imply that black basketball players should be happy that slavery existed in this country? Yet people kneeling in silent, respectful protest is the issue here.

This is getting out of hand. Mike already has a lot of fans on his back as he's been nothing but mediocre except for one year since being here. If he were to allow this, just don't see it going over well. It's their right to protest, but its still very disrespectful.

Individual players can "protest" all day if they want to. But when they put on the uniform they should leave their political views aside and focus on being a team. I have defended Mike for several years.. If he lets this happen, I'll be moving on.
These people need to understand athletics are entertainment for the masses who don't want politics interjected into it. Look at the NFL ratings this year, aren;t they down 30% this year? There are lots of options out there for my time and money

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT