ADVERTISEMENT

Samford Game Highlights & Thoughts

RazorAg

All-Conference
Gold Member
Jan 17, 2003
Really surprising game last night. Samford, as advertised, is a good team. If you hadn’t seen already, they were picked to finish second (essentially tieing for first) in their conference. They are athletic and skilled. They have two transfers in Justin Coleman from Bama (lit us up as a freshman) and Alex Thompson from Auburn. Like most, I expected a competitive game. But, as basketball goes sometimes, they couldn’t hit the ocean and Macon started off en fuego. From there, it was contagious and we rode the momentum for the rest of the game. More observations below:
  • Samford runs a relatively complex continuity offense, and we couldn’t have defended it better. Our D was superb all night. Gives me hope that we will actually be respectable in that department this year. We’ll see, though.
  • Offensively, we were crisp, smart and decisive. Samford gave us several looks, but it didn’t matter. We did everything right. Really, really impressive.
  • Macon and Barford were themselves. Some said this from the exhibitions, but Barford’s J is better. He’s squaring up and staying on balance. Macon will go for 30 a few games, I bet.
  • Beard was solid. Didn’t force much, which is a good sign for him. Did what he should do - compliment offensively, create turnovers defensively.
  • Really happy to see Adrio play up to his potential b/c those exhibitions were rough. The key for him is to stay consistent on the offensive boards; that’s where he’s a difference maker.
  • Trey was excellent. I’ve been listening closely to CMA this preseason and one thing I picked up on was his praise for Trey’s jump shooting. It showed tonight. If he can knock down 12-15 foot J’s, that adds a few wins for us IMO.
  • The most encouraging thing I see from Gafford so far is his effort, and that’s probably the best thing you can ask for. I’m talking Portis-level effort and intensity. If he maintains that, it will neutralize some of his raw-ness. For those of you worried about his fouling (me included), he picked up two fluke fouls last night (as part of his five). I wouldn’t say we have a problem yet.
  • Some of you may remember; I sit right by the bench and everytime I’m within earshot of CJ Jones, I say, “KEEP SHOOTING”. He has ultra confidence and I don’t want him to lose it. Every shot looks like it’s going in. We need that this year. He won’t be driving to the hole this year, but he can fake, dribble a time or two, and rise up. That’s enough this year.
  • Darious - I think I’m going to have to commit to calling him Day Day like everyone else - is going through freshman excitement right now. He’ll need to settle in. He fouled at a high rate, dribbled recklessly and all of his shots were long. Too much energy, which is better than the alternative. He just needs a little time. He’ll help some.
  • Gabe O continues to flash. Seems to have a good BBall IQ. Good experience for him, as we wait for Thomas and Cook.
Another good mid-major coming to Bud Walton Sunday. Bucknell lost to Monmouth by one, but we better bring it again. We couldn’t have started better, though.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.