ADVERTISEMENT

Saturday Recruiting Notes (8:42 p.m. UPDATE)

Danny West

Recruiting Analyst
Oct 24, 2004
Tontitown, AR
www.hawgsports.com
- Again, just want to say how impressed I am with the two commitments today. A little 'extra info' on both:

First, T.J. Hammonds told me off the record Thursday night that he felt like there was zero chance he'd commit this weekend. I told him, "Well you know I have to ask so I'm prepared," and he said, "Nah, I would tell you, but there's no chance this weekend but I am gonna pick them. I just want to take some visits first."

During today's scrimmage, I'm sitting in the stands and T.J. and Damarea Crockett are directly down below us on the field. He waves his phone at me, calls me, I answer it and he says, "Guess what...I committed." Pretty surprising to me because I truly thought he would hold off even though I knew Lunney would push for it today. Good get, I really like T.J. a lot. Also, Jordan Jones has been working on him behind the scenes for a while now. I've seen some of their texts back and forth and Jordan's got a future in recruiting, IMO.

On the second one, if you didn't see it in the commitment thread up top, I was at Lowe's buying beer -- I mean fence posts and dirt -- and got a phone call. The source asked where I was, I told him, then he said I better get home because Briston Guidry was on the phone with Coach B and giving him his commitment. I thought the guy was messing with me for a second. Obviously he wasn't. Huge pickup that floored me, honestly. Demetric Warren (sp) of Varsity Preps had it out there first, I believe. Now you have to keep Guidry, and while it may be tough I won't doubt them on doing it. He'll be here in 2 weeks for the spring game.

- Damarea Crockett is still on campus hanging with friends. He said Bret Bielema told him the offensive staff all sat down to watch his film and they really, really like him. Now they want him at camp in June, and just me personally, I'm expecting them to offer then. The good news is I don't think the wait will hurt Arkansas. They've done a good job of explaining how they want to be super patient with instate offers, and he seems to get it. And with T.J. on board, I think they'd have very little trouble landing Damarea once the offer is given.

- Arkansas expects to get at least a couple, possibly three, commitments in the next few weeks. Ironically, some of the names to keep a close watch on are all in Louisiana. Caleb Roddy, Devin White and Cole Kelley. Roddy and White are at Ole Miss this weekend and Kelley is at Oklahoma State, the other leader in the two-team race. He'll be here next Saturday. Roddy just visited on Tuesday, and Devin White will be here in a couple of weeks. They'd love to lock down all three very soon.

- I'm also keeping a watch on Dillon Stoner of Jenks (Okla.) when he visits for the spring game. I could see that one popping off, but we'll see.

- Dominique Reed and Rawleigh Williams were at today's scrimmage. LB Jimmy McKinney was also there and is a really impressive-looking kid.

- More to come later on.

8:42 UPDATE:

- Linebacker Jimmy McKinney of Oologah (Okla.), 6-1, 225, 4.62, said Robb Smith told him to come back for the camp in June. McKinney was a very good-looking kid to me today. He's got about 10 offers so far but is still waiting on Arkansas, TCU, Kansas and Oklahoma State to jump on board.

This post was edited on 4/11 5:27 PM by Danny West

This post was edited on 4/11 8:46 PM by Danny West

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News