ADVERTISEMENT

Season 1/3 over (long post)...

lsmhog

Hall of Fame
Dec 26, 2005
and we are 3-1, with games at then #15 TCU (snapped their 14 game winning streak) and in Dallas versus top 10 A&M (where we performed what is becoming our annual sh_tting of the bed).

I think even for the most optimistic of us, 3-1 is about as good as we hoped before the season. It is worth keeping in mind that it could just as easily be 1-3, and the toughest part of our season now awaits. Alcorn State couldn't come at a better time, and hopefully it provides the opportunity for our still meshing team to iron out some rough spots as well as show that we can still play a complete/mistake free game in Little Rock (it's been a while).

The positive's? The record, to start with. As previously mentioned we could be facing 1-3 right now and wondering if a bowl game was even rationale to be thinking about when looking at the guantlet ahead.

Austin Allen is another. Not sure if he has a nickname or not, but it should be "nails". Kid is tough and clutch. Winner. What an easy transition he is providing us in replacing a 3yr starter at QB.

RB is another. It is easy to forget how many questions we had about the position coming into the year with us replacing AC and J-Will. Also easy to forget that RWIII is lucky to not be paralyzed, let alone trucking guys every saturday while appearing to be a pretty sure thing for 100yds+ and a TD each weekend. He is getting so much better every week too. First couple of weeks he would literally turn his back once he got through the hole and saw contact coming. Now he is seeking contact out. Amazing how far he has come in such a short time from such a serious injury. Whaley is coming too. Hammonds we haven't even seen yet.

WR's and TE's are as advertised. Rock solid.

The negatives? Defense is about what I think most of us expected. Above average dline with average play at LB and in the secondary, but improved across the board. Still not where it needs to be though. The young guys can't come on soon enough across the board.

Same w/special teams, better, but still lot's of room for improvement. Toby Baker lone bright spot.

Then there is the o-line. Losing 3 starters and our o-line coach is a major hit for any program, but a real set back in the SEC West. As poor as this group has been at times it really is a wonder we are sitting at 3-1. We won't be 3-1 in our next 1/3 of the season if this group doesn't take major strides in the next 2 weeks.

I think we can just about all agree that 4-2 appears to be our record at the halfway point, but how this group matures in the next 2 weeks will determine our mark the second half of the season. This is the toughest home slate I ever remember us having. Good news is we only have 3 road games remaining and they appear to all be very winnable.

Last Saturday sucked. It has been discussed ad nauseam and no reason to rehash. I hate Jerry World and the Aggie's in the worst way at this point. Can only imagine how the staff and players feel. That said, we still have a lot to play for this season. CBB and this staff have shown that we can improve as much as any team over the course of a season, and the problems I see with the oline aren't physical as much as they are mental and experience. Here is to hoping Kurt Anderson and the oline turn things around like Dan Enos and the offense did last year post A&M game.

WPS/GHG!!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News